Advice for DC and SC desired / given

Hallo

From 17.Aug. we have a vacation apartment in Newquay for a week. After that we’re heading to Weymouth for a week before flying home.

Of course, I looked at the G / DC and G / SC summits on SOTA MAP.

But you have more experience. Is there a recommendation? What can be combined well with a nice hike?

If you could only do one summit in DC and one in SC, which would it be?

73 Armin

I only have limited experience but I really enjoyed DC/002 Brown Willy. Nice shortish walk, brilliant views, , wonderful scenery, cream teas on the way back. Parked at Poldue Downs. I’m sure others have more experience but that is one hill I would do again. 73 Paul

Hi Armin,
Think it depends how far you want to drive from base whilst on holiday.
If you are staying in Newquay you might like to try DC2 which is not too far away.
None of the SC summits are much of a hike from where you can park.
SC9 is the least activated SC summit and might be combined with a longer walk from a more distant parking spot as close parking is not easy.
Alternatively you might consider visiting several of the south coast summits on the same day.
Combine SC9 with SC11 and maybe SC13 as well.
Happy holidays…

David, G3RDQ

For SC I’d second 009 as a very pleasant quiet spot. But 013 has the best views and a nice walk in from easy parking at the north side. Combine with local attractions — Swanage Railway and the ruins of Corfe Castle. Also nearby, and of high repute, are Bovington tank museum and Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre.

As I’ve seen, the summits are not all that far from the parking lot. You do not really have to walk that much.
But maybe it can be combined with a hike.
In any case, we will combine it with a cultural program. Nature and culture in one day is a perfect mix. :+1:
For which I will not inspire my sweetheart it is to make several summits in each other. :smirk:

73 Armin

Hi Armin

I will be in the area at the same time, with 2m and 70cm FM only. I’m not sure of my movements but perhaps an S2S might be possible. I’ll use SOTA Watch for alerts etc.

Bernard, VK2IB (using my UK call G4LGK on this trip)

Hi Bernard

Sorry - but I’ve no 2m or 70cm …

I’ll take my KX2 and a pole for the wire antennas with me. :neutral_face:

73 Armin

Hi Bernard,

M0TMD and I will be in G/SC in mid August. If you can alert/spot we’ll try to catch you.

Hallo

I’m back and it was beautiful. Cornwall and Dorset are wonderful destinations.

As recommended, I had the KX2 in hand luggage and the pole with wire antennas and cables in the case. There were no problems.

It took some getting used to the traffic on the left - but even more difficult was the shifting of the gears with the left hand. I did not get used to it. Next time I take an automatic car. (I’ve been to GB 4 time before - in the 80th and 90th… but every time by motorbike)

Unusual are the high hedges on the roadside - you do not see much. The roads can be very narrow, but the British are very good, forward-looking and thinking motorists. There were never any problems.

The parking can be very expensive. Since you should have enough change in your pocket.

The first week we lived in Newquay and the second in Weymouth. Instead of going to Newquay I would rather go to Truro today.
We were in apartments and self-catering - and we found the shopping much cheaper than in Germany. Even the gasoline is cheaper. So it was a less expensive travel destination.
I must confess that SOTA was not the first priority in this holiday, but I was able to install it well.

Maybe as a recommendation - here are my combinations:

St Ives (Tate Gallery) and then a hike across Mên-an-Tol and other megalithic sites to G / DC-007 amidst blooming heather and gorse. Fantastically beautiful area.

An extensive hike through the Bodminmoor with G / DC-002. At least we got wet boots.

We made G / DC-001 on the way from Newquay to Weymouth. I would really like to have hiked longer.

From Lyme Regis we explored the Jurassic Coast and on the way back we would be on the thriving G / SC-011, where at the edge of the forest there is a small bench for comfortably SOTA. And the small, lovingly decorated museum in Bridport is also worth a visit.

A long walk around Shaftesbury with its Gold Hill we combined on the way back with G / SC-008.

The entrance fee to Corfe Castle is over the top. But the village is beautiful and there is a small cafe to the left of the entrance with delicious Creamtea and great views of the castle. After that we had a hike to G / SC-013.

Thanks to all chasers - the conditions were strange sometimes and the wind could be noisy.

The summits were all easy to find and easy to reach. I think it was not my last SOTA activity in G

73 Armin

4 Likes

Normally it takes about 10mins when I drive a car with the wheel on the “wrong” side. A bit of panic getting the hire car out of the car park and out of the airport and maybe once reaching for the door handle when flustered then it all settles down. If you want to be scared, try driving a LHD car in the UK or a RHD car in mainland Europe. That is difficult!

Would be interesting to compare… Probably it is the horror for passenger

The biggest difficulty for me was getting the first gear away from me… and the highest gears near me… maybe it would be easier if it turned around the other way

73 Armin