Adventure radio SOTA tools

Does anyone know what is happening here - I know it’s not an official SOTA site. Is there maintenance happening or has the SOTA tools on this site been permanently withdrawn?

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:
Just checked it out here and it seems to be working O.K. Peter M1CNL

In reply to M1CNL:

I tried it but some of the functionality seems to be broken at the moment. The maps don’t show the SOTA spots:

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

This link seems to work

Andrew
G4VFL

In reply to G4VFL:

Youre right Andrew the link works but it only shows the location of SOTA summits not spots.

http://sotamaps.com/ is showing the spots but you have to tell it what you want.

On another tack what a lousy day was going to do a NW summit but got rained off before I started, now whata happened ----- yes the sun’s come out.

Still there’s always tomorrow or the next day

Peter
G1FOA

In reply to G4VFL:
Even that link is not working this morning, it was OK yesterday. Anyone know if the site is being revamped ?

73s Andrew G4AFI

In reply to G4AFI:

Mario doesn’t do SOTA anymore.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4AFI:
SOTAMAPS.Com is still working here; make sure you select the Bands and Modes etc. and then do a refresh… all the Alerts and Spots from Sotawatch come up OK.
73 de Ken
p.s. Mario has withdrawn his support for SOTA, but I worked him on a SOTA summit just the other day, I think!

In reply to MM0FMF:

Mario doesn’t do SOTA anymore.

Shame that the tools have been taken down. Hope he changes his mind sometime in the future. Maybe over time the functionality that was available there will be built elsewhere.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to GM0AXY:

Hi Ken

Mario was spotted just a few days ago so rumours of him giving up SOTA seem a bit premature!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Curious that he has taken the SOTA tools off then. I too hope he puts them back on his website. The maps were useful in visualising where the summits are, which I have used a number of times.

73s Andrew G4AFI

In reply to G3CWI:

Mario was spotted just a few days ago so rumours of him giving up SOTA seem a bit premature!
I think it must be a GMA thing. He has no SOTA account, sotawatch reported him as an unregistered user.

EDIT: His site still has tools for GMA as well.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to G3CWI:

I worked Mario DC7CCC on his local hill DM/NS-108 yesterday 26/6/12 @1334z

(Later) and today (27/6)at 1311z on DM/NS-026.
Mario was then heard attempting a s2s contact with HB9BIN/p

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4AFI:

Curious that he has taken the SOTA tools off then. I too hope he puts
them back on his website. The maps were useful in visualising where
the summits are, which I have used a number of times.
Given that GMA accepts any sota summit as part of that program, you can still access his map tools and select a SOTA association or region. The thing that is gone is the tools that were specific SOTA tools - SOTA spots, SOTA log analysis tools, etc.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:
Yes this link GMA - Global Mountain Activity Group can be used to display SOTA locations on a map but obviously it indicates GMA points for each location rather than the SOTA points. So almost as useful.

73s Andrew G4AFI

Personally, the loss of Adventure Radio’s SOTA summit map is a terrible blow. I used it constantly to plan activations. The cqgma map does not show any info (e.g., summit name) when you hover the mouse and can’t come close to replacing the functionality that has been lost. Is there any way to host the old Adventure Radio map on another server?

Barry N1EU

I am absolutely with Barry on this and very much hope that this is only a temporary loss.
Rod

In reply to G4AFI:

Thanks, that’s just what I was looking for a long time.

In reply to M0JLA:

I am absolutely with Barry on this and very much hope that this is
only a temporary loss.
Rod

I’m sorry to say that I doubt it.

Mario deleted his logs and asked us to delete his account. He doesn’t like the way SOTA is run, and he refuses to accept that the alteration to G1INK’s Alert last week was not done by a member of the MT. I do not feel myself at liberty to quote in more detail from his PEM without his permission. He has withdrawn from SOTA and no doubt the loss of the Adventure Radio SOTA Tools is part of this withdrawal.

We will have to give thought to finding a substitute for the tools.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Brian,
Thanks for the clarification. What a pity.
Rod