Activitating 4O/IC12 Bandera tomorrow

(I hope this is the kind of pre-planning activation message acceptable in this sub-category)

I’m intending on activitating 4O/IC12 Bandera tomorrow.

Our plan is to reach the summit by approx 12:30 (GMT +2). I’ll be QRV as quickly as possible.

Depending on weather, and my condition (I’ve had a cold for a few days since arrival) I’ll probably have 15-20 mins max. operating time.

My intention is to be active QRP on 20M (14.285 MHz). I’ll be calling 4O/EI8FDB.

Assuming there is mobile coverage, I will spot myself. If not, I’d be grateful for a spot, assuming I make it!

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Have you placed an alert? There are a significant number of SOTA chasers who never look on here but they will be carefully watching the alerts.

2 Likes

I have not. I didn’t know the etiquette of doing that before the activation.

I’ll that now so.

2 Likes

Alert is for announcing your plan days/weeks ahead. This will give others a chance to make arrangements to chase you (for example for a SOTA complete).

Spot is when you are actually on a summit to post your band and mode.

3 Likes

Aha, thank you. It’s been about 12 years since my last activation. I’m a bit rusty.

3 Likes

If there is no mobile coverage, there are alternative ways to self spot (APRS2SOTA and Sotamat)

2 Likes

Sorry folks, this wasn’t to be today. We’ve had to turn back.

It is boiling hot, I’m still feeling crook, and we chose a path that disappeared into nothing.

We planning to try again later in the week on the other longer but more defined path.

Apologies!

3 Likes