Activators appearing on APRS automatically

Probably the activation on I-AA211 was triggered by me simply walking In Bolzano city with a DMR handheld active in my bag?

The problem that in Alto Adige Dolomites zone there are a lot of summits.
In my zone 10 kilometres of radius is too much, in my opinion 3 km is enough. In this manner in aprs.fi
the tracks appears half an our the activation will probably starts.
73 de In3aqk

Screenshot%20from%202020-02-17%2008-27-38

Probably the activation on I-AA211 was triggered by me simply walking In Bolzano city with a DMR handheld active in my bag?

“Activations” are sown with the SOTA symbol. The “red cross” is at the location of a SOTA summit nearby an APRS station sending the “human” symbol.

So this is exactly the expected behaviour: show the APRS equipped Hams where are SOTA summits nearby.

What do you see as a problem ?

Christophe I do not see real problems and I like your software implementation and idea.
But you have not quoted my proposal that is:

Restrict the trigger radius to 3 km instead of actually 10 in order to avoid false positive like my example.
3 km will be enough because it indicates that probably the activator will be operative in about one hour.
In Dolomiti area, where I leave there are tens of summit near every one, with a pedestrian symbol, is walking but not doing Sota

As a software developer i could think about an algorithm that filters out the station that are not walking in the direction of the summit.

Consider that in my area there a nearly no bidirectional i-gates so no one will see the sota icon on the gear. Most of us send the position with dmr radios or dumb trackers that are not able to display the X icon and position!

These are my two cents only to have a better service.

Paolo In3aqk

I think you have in mind that the main purpose is to show the summits to SOTA activators and chasers.

This is not the case: the main idea is to promote SOTA and to show the summits to people who have no clue what SOTA is, or that there are SOTA summits nearby. For them, there is no reason to detect if they move in the direction of the summit or not, we just want to let them know there are SOTA summits near them.

For SOTA activators and chasers, the spots and alerts only would be sufficient (already shown with SOTA logo on APRS). The red cross at the summits locations is “targeted marketing”: a person using APRS is more likely to be interested in SOTA than someone else.

As putting all SOTA summits on APRS would be a bad idea, here we only show the summits near APRS stations that are moving and use the “human” symbol.

This assumes that most people who send their position also look at the online maps (aprsdirect.com, aprs.fi) at some stage, and will then see red crosses and wonder what they are.

On ON6ZQ | SOTA2APRS , you can see in real time what I am talking about.

1 Like

That was the mistake that I made! Your system is designed for a sligltly different purpose than I envisaged (but a useful one).

Hey @ON6ZQ is the system down? I noticed yesterday and today there are no icons on the map while there are alerts and spots. Thinking around Canberra VK1 in particular.

W

Yes, thank you for the heads up.

Running now on back-up server while I am investigating.

1 Like

copy thanks.

W

1 Like

@ON6ZQ

I noticed some kind of a problem with the SOTA alerts appearing on APRS … on saturday there will be a lot of activity in OE5 and noticed that some alerts are not displayed correct on APRS:

alert for OE/OO-053 still there (changed to OE/OO-408 about a week ago)
alert for OE/OO-035 missing (changed from OE/OO-063 some days ago)
alert for OE/OO-073 still there (has been deleted about a week ago)

it seems that there is some kind of problem with updated alerts …

73 martin, oe5reo

1 Like

I’ll have a look after the activations today.

However, bear in mind how APRS works: there is no such thing as “updating”.

Make sure your APRS client is set to only display the locations that were sent in the timeframe of interest, like a couple of hours in the case of SOTA activities.

edit: I realize you mention “updated alerts”. If you mean you changed an existing alert on SOTAwatch to another summit, it will NOT be read again by my software. Only NEW alerts are read. Just delete the old one and create a new.

1 Like

@OE5REO

This is now changed and alerts that are modified after creation are now also processed.

However, bear in mind that the symbol at the location of the original alert will not be “erased”, and you need to let your client display only the recent APRS messages (“last 2 hours” works for me).

1 Like