Activation W7Y/TT-038 (Fossil Mountain)

Fossil Mountain is a spectacular mountain, especially when viewed from the west side of the Teton range. It stands up like a shark fin. Unfortunately, it was a hazy day due to wildfire smoke. Unfortunately, I think that will be the case until the snow falls.

The climb up was beautiful with lots of wild flowers. Once I left the trail to the Wind Cave, I didn’t see anyone else. That’s one of the nice things about SOTA peaks in the area: most of them are obscure peaks that see very little human traffic. A lovely way to escape for the day.

I had 22 contacts from the summit, 20 on CW and 2 on SSB, with 5 watts. Being on a mountain top sure does help to get the signal out. Thanks to all the chasers.

9 Likes

Hi Pat,

wonderful mountain area and a not so easy way to the summit? (see picture 2) I have no idea of the scaling there but I guess, the stones are not so small.

Thanks for the fine pictures.

73 Ludwig

HI Pat,
Nice pictures, nice activation! You had a great signal with your
5 watts!
73, John, K6YK

Thanks. Glad to hear it.

Hi Ludwig. Yes, the summit climb was difficult. Loose talus and scree.

W7Y/TT-038

(Just my way of finding the summit in the database. Its odd if you put the ref in the body of a post it is hyperlinked but this doesn’t happen with the ref in the title.)

Fine summit though! And you are being modest K7GUD in not mentioning this was a first activation. Congratulations. :slight_smile:

It looks a good distance from the nearest road.

Hi John. Thanks for the comment and good idea to put a link to the peak. Next time I’ll do that.

1 Like