Activation W7Y/EW-017 Leg Benchmark

Good Day,

The WX proved to be cool and the hike was great. Not another human to bee seen! The trail is a constant class I 7% slope. Once off the trail there is a little bushwhacking to be done but it is a Class II traversal through brush and deadfall trees. There was a fog about the site and towards the end my fingers were getting a bit numb (I know better than to leave my gloves at home). Unfortunately I had to go QRT while others were calling.

We have had a good amount of rain for our area and it has kept the wild flowers in bloom long into the Summer here. With the rain yesterday there was a wonderful fragrance of pine and sage.

For operating I had my trusty KX1 and LNR Trail Friendly End Fed Antenna. I operated CW on 40M, 30M, and 20M. I used an American Mores MS2 micro straight key. For spotting I was able to use available cellphone coverage. 40M was not as productive as I hoped it would be and 30M was not much better. 20M was alive and well. Furthest QSO was into NH with Bob, AC1Z (Thank you for sticking with me). All in all after an hour and a half of operating I was lucky enough to have 16 QSOs.

I look forward to more activating as the Summer moves into Fall.

See you on the air.

Chris, N7NAV

6 Likes

Nice work!

1 Like

Thanks, 16 QSOs over an hour and a half at 2W is not bad.

Chris, N7NAV

2 Likes

Good job on activating Leg!

I had my FT818 setup for 20m from my NE Ohio home and heard you very faintly fade in and out on 40m. I sent out a couple CQs on 20m and the RBN in Massachusetts picked me up around 7:00am your time. I had to go QRT then to take my daughter to Soccer practice.

If you haven’t done Jelm and Ring mountains up your way yet. They are fantastic. One of my most memorable days SOTA-ing!

Erik
KE8OKM

1 Like

Erik,

I did Jelm a few weeks ago and will be activating Ring this Saturday:

I hope to catch you on the air.

Chris, N7NAV

2 Likes