Activation report - WB

WB-002 - Brown Clee

Firstly must say that the WX made today superb and the radio was a handy bonus!!!

The climb up was straight forward, however choosing a site to pitch the fishing pole where QRM (from phone masts) would not be an issue, was a little tricky!!
However the both the 4m Slim Jim and 2m MFD went up in a flash and I was ready to TX.

Very Active on the usual bands such as 2m SSB and FM, however the highlight of the day was the activity on 4m FM. This band has performed so well over the weekend and it would appear that interest is picking up on the 70Mhz band. With the Wouxun HT and the Home Brew Slim jim, (courtesy of Summitsbase,org.uk and GW8OGI) DX was successfully worked! To anyone reading this I suggest giving 4m a go!!!

Has anybody operated 4m SSB whilst /P, if so what antennas do you go for? Also does anybody know when the winter period ends?

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Has anybody operated 4m SSB whilst /P, if so what antennas do you go
for? Also does anybody know when the winter period ends?

Matt 2E0XTL

15th March.

hth

Roger G4OWG

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Hi Matt!

Could you tell me, did you ascend by the northern route (through the woods), or by the route from the west suggested by 'ERP and 'CWI (Shropshire Way)?
I took a look at the western access route one day last week, starting near Abdon village, but was put off by the deep mud and decided to abandon the attempt. I have not yet inspected the northern access via the woods!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Hi Matt,

For the 70MHz contests I use a half wave dipole made from a couple of telescopic whips extended to a metre for each leg. Horizontal for ssb and vertical for FM.

The dates for the Seasonal bonus are the 1st of December to the 15th of March inclusive.

Pete, M0COP

In reply to M0COP:

Cheers for the Info Pete!!! I was looking at a 3 ele or 2 ele for SSB!!
Plus I could devise a way of being able to turn it vertical for FM.

I suppose the hardest part of 4 SSB/P would be the gear. Batteries, rig, transverter, coaxial cable and a big dipole, this sounds tricky and I need to investigate the prospect of getting a transverter.

I’m sure from an easy access site like, Hegden or Longmynd this would be fairly easy to do logistically speaking.

For Walt the route I took was the ERP recommended route, from Clee St Margaret drive towards Abdon then go past Abdon Church and park at the telephone box that follows shortly after the Church.

Today the mud was not to bad as it was frozen in the morning. Some people use the Cell site access road, others use the route from Cleobury North through the woods. I have spoke to other amateurs and they have mentioned that the wood route is not so steep but takes slightly longer! Hope that helps!

Matt 2E0XTL 73

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Hi Matt,

I used 4m SSB in one of the RSGB contests last year from the summit of G/SP-014 Longridge Fell. I worked Ron GW4EVX/P in that contest who was also on a summit if I remember correctly.

A couple of photos of my 4m portable station are below.

The antenna was a dipole made from two telescopic whips & can be used on both 6m & 4m.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Cheers for the link to the photos, looks possible to run 4 SSB!! Need a Transverter first, what Transverter do you use?

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Hi Matt,

I use the Spectrum TRC4-10sL which is for 28MHz input. I bought my unit ready made & it comes in a nice case complete with linear amplifier that will give up to about 30 Watts output comfortably.

Other models are available such as one for 144MHz input & they are also available in kit form if you are feeling adventurous :wink:

I have been very pleased with mine.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Thanks for the info, Matt! I think I’ll try the route through the woods.

Cheers,

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to 2E0XTL:

With the Wouxun HT and the Home Brew
Slim jim, (courtesy of Summitsbase,org.uk and GW8OGI) DX was
successfully worked! To anyone reading this I suggest giving 4m a
go!!!

Hi Matt!

You may like to know that I have just ordered a Wouxun KG-699e so I hope to be active soon on 70 MHz FM with the Summitsbase Slim Jim.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Afternoon, Matt.

In a fit of something or other and inspired by your example, I joined the 4M FM brigade a couple of weekends ago. It was a case of “what have I got that would get me on the band”. The answer was an old Tait mobile radio and a ground plane made of hookup wire. There are lots of these radios about - possibly even for free -and crystals can still be obtained from QSL (I’m just ordering another pair as I’ve only got 70.450 and 70.475 at present).

These aluminium-cased radios are about the size and weight of the FT-857 and with over 15W out, they have more potential than a HH (and, of course, I have one). They’re easy to modify for 4M and built - er, very well.

I went for the GP as thy’re so quick to make and set up. It was literally a ten-minute job the evening before my outing. It weighs 28g and hangs from the top of the mast with the lower elements dangling.

I thoroughly enjoyed doing something different and I expect I’ll be taking 4M with me again soon. Hopefully we can contrive a S2S some time.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

This is fantastic! I have been enjoying activating with my Wouxun so much that I have treated myself to a Philips FM1100 for base station use. Sometimes, people even answer my CQs(!), which is pretty good going considering I’m using my SOTA setup with my RG-174 HF dipole feeder as an extension. A more permanent setup will follow graduation. I find 4m a very relaxing band, somehow. I’ll be QRV from SW-008 tomorrow, I’m looking forward to working a few people.

I am intrigued by your GP, Richard. Do you have much variance in SWR when the wind blows your mast around? I am using a slimjim ATM, but the slightest puff can make a noticeable difference.

Dave M0MYA.

In reply to M0MYA:

Hi, Dave.

The honest answer to your question is I don’t know. I didn’t take a bridge with me. What I can say is that I didn’t notice any such problem when I was setting it up in the shack the previous evening and I reckon that was probably a worse installation than on the mast.

The variation in impedance at the centre of such an antenna will only vary from about 35R with the GP elements at 90 degrees to about 75 with them in line and these extremes only represent a small VSWR anyway. Something inbetween should be fine. I had designed a proper centre using a machined from solid aluminium boss and detatchable elements and decided it was too heavy and too much work for a quick try-out :slight_smile:

It was all done in a bit of a hurry!

I usually listen 70.45 when I’m in the shack so if you’ve got your base station going at home, we may well be able to work.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

Hi Richard,

Yes, that all makes good sense, I think I could be tempted to the venerable SO-239 style GP for the sake of experimenting. Its so easy to be distracted when you have radio as a hobby!

My temporary 4m setup isn’t in the air right now, as I’m taking it out tomorrow, but I set it up when ever it is reasonably dry (I used the translucent twinfeed which absorbs water) and give the occasional CQ on 70.45 throughout the day and evening, I’ll be doing so for another week until I return to N.Wales until late May to finish off my degree. After that Geoff and I will make up a copper pipe J-pole (we have had very good results with these on 2m) and put it on the roof, that’ll get things going nicely. Sooner or later I’m sure we’ll coincide on 4m, I can hear Cheltenham fairly well on 2m FM from here.

Dave M0MYA.