Activation Report – GW/NW-044 & GW/NW-051

Activation Report – GW/NW-044 & GW/NW-051 on 28th Feb-09.

Moel Famau, QRP.
2E0EDX/P, Unaccompanied.
All times: UTC on 28-02-09.

Left a very clear, dry and very mild though overcast Blackpool at 0815 hours, with the intention of dropping off the XYL and daughter No2 with family in Chester, while I, passport in hand, entered North Wales on a double activation of Moel Famau & Foel Fenlli. Soon on the wide track to Moel Famau’s tower which at the time I arrived was more like the M6 with families and fell walkers going in both directions. Time to summit was good on this easy track even though obstacles were encountered on the way with large deposits of dog pooh! At the summit it was cold, fresh wind and low cloud. I positioned myself near the fence & stile showing the way to Loggerheads and set-up both the VX-170 with RSS and the 4m Wouxun KG-699E with military ground-spike antenna. At 1140 hours started operating on 2m FM and straight into a pile-up (apologies to those waiting to work me on 4m) with the furthest contact being Stewart G0LGS in Cheltenham and my first Summit to Summit of the day working Alun 2W0CYM/P on Foel Fenlli NW-051. Arranged with Alun an eyeball and chat as he was activating Moel Famau once clear of Foel Fenlli. At 1245 hours changed over to 4m FM and worked Ron GW4EVX, G4ZRP, John MW1FGQ and Mike G4BLH all with excellent reports. Just packing all away at approximately 1300 hours when Alun arrived at the summit, introductions over, explanation and showing both the Wouxun and military antenna of which he seemed interested in, arranged Summit to Summit from NW-051 and I was off back down the track to the car park and Foel Fenlli.

QSO’s
2m – 37 with 1 S to S
4m - 4

Foel Fenlli, QRP.
2E0EDX/P, Unaccompanied.
All times: UTC on 28-02-09.

Arrived at the summit at approximately 1400 hours and set-up the same configuration as that on Moel Famau. Quick brew and considered the last activation, this time I would start off on 4m to avoid any pile-up on 2m. However, noting Alun 2W0CYM/P was waiting for me, worked him initially for the Summit to Summit on Moel Famau (thanks Alun) on 2m. QSY to 4m and called CQ on 70.450Mhz working Steve GW7AAV and then astonished to hear Steve G1INK/PM who was just starting off on his ascent of Shining Tor SP-004 from the Cat & Fiddle. Followed by John MW1FGQ, John G0NAJ and further astonished to hear Mike GW0DSP/P with his new acquisition working from his back garden on the rubber duck, this was Mikes first contact ever on 4m and also his first ever SOTA contact on this band. I then worked Ron GW4EVX and finally Steve G1INK/P Summit to Summit from Shining Tor SP-004 59 both ways, my second Summit to Summit on 4m ever. I further heard a strong signal from G6LLX in the Forest of Dean, however,he was in QSO and I cracked on with 2m.
Back onto 2m Fm and straight into a further Summit to Summit contact with David M3WOW/P on G/SB-002, a unique for me, my 4th of the day. Plenty more contacts followed and although calling ‘last call’ around 1515 hours I was still working with Roger MW0IDX at 1529 hours before finally being allowed to go QRT… Hi! I would have liked to have stayed longer but XYL etc would have grounded me if I had not picked them up at time agreed… Hi!

QSO’s
2m – 14 with 3 S to S
4m – 7

A very enjoyable day was had in North Wales activating and my sincere thanks to all activators/chasers worked, who were at times patient, humorous (my pronunciation of Welsh summits will improve) and dedicated to SOTA.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:

It was good to talk to you Ian at the end of my own activation on Brown Clee Hill G/WB-002. 73’s on the 1st March are ‘Dymuniadau dda am Dydd Gwyl Dewi’ to operators on hills in Golf Whisky land. Welsh pronunciation is vastly more logical than English being entirely phonetic [once you’ve learnt the sounds of the alphabet that is]!

Thank you to all the patient people who waited for me and my family to arrive on the summit , answering CQ straight away when we were an hour and a half late and putting up the spots on SOTAWatch. Thanks also to Shropshire county council for putting perfect wooden post just a few yards from the summit troposcope [no trig point anymore] which was ideal for the sotabeam. A brisk forty minutes later and everyone had got there 2 points, my hands were frozen and the boys hadn’t quite finished wrestling and running amok. Cheers
David

In reply to M6WOW:

Hi David
Pleasure was all mine and many thanks for the summit to summit, I believe a new unique for me.
I’ll take your word for it on the welsh language being more logical, but I’ll stick to the english version, that way I will not get in trouble… Hi!
Nice to work you.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX