Activation of TF/SV-036

A shack with a view

I have stated it before that Iceland is a land of Fire and Ice. The picture below shows the Volcano that is spewing red hot lava. SOTA Summit TF/SV-036 towers in the background.

A picnic by the fire.

Many thanks to the 38 Chasers that made it into the log today.

73´s Siggi TF3CW

22 Likes

Thanks Siggi for your interesting activation and well done. Was it hot at the site where you were located? Thanks for the great pictures.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

Hi Geoff…the Lava that comes out is about 1200 deg. C. I could very well “feel it´s warmth” when I took the pictures close to it. It was a spectacular sight to see the melted lava slowly creeping forward, and listening to the sounds as well. This was my third trip, and the site is ever changing, as you can imagine.

This could go on for months/years even decades, scientists say…It´s fast becoming a tourist attraction, as never before have people managed to get so close to an actual Volcanic Eruption here.

Here is a link to a LIVE Web cam. Great to view when darkness is at the site (Iceland is on GMT)

73´s Siggi TF3CW

2 Likes

This is so awesome there is not even words. I have spent my whole life in the mountains all over the planet and still have not seen anything like this. Awesome and thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Hi Siggi, thanks for the link to the live web cam.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Amazing. I think we’re all very jealous :slight_smile: Well done!

1 Like

This eruption is a “must see”. The site is just about 30 mins. drive from Keflavik Int. airport, which makes it very accessible to get to the site. Then, there is just about 1 hour 30 hike from the car park to the eruption itself.

To be able to sit “beside the lava” that slowly thrushes forward is absolutely awesome and no words can describe it. It must be experienced to fully appreciate it.

I know Icelandair and Delta have flights from the US to Keflavik, so it´s just a matter to hop on a plane.

73´s Siggi TF3CW

Congratulations for the activation in company of force of nature… we lack only the Sigur Rós!
iw2obx

1 Like