Activation of all EA8/TF - Tenerife

SOTA Trip to Tenerife:

From IN3JIB.
https://sotl.as/activators/IN3JIB

Between October 30, 2023, and November 8, 2023, I traveled to Tenerife for nine days to enjoy the local culture, landscapes, and the last warm days of the year. How did I end up in Tenerife? I wanted to visit a place with warm weather, distinct from the Alps in terms of landscape, and where I could activate many SOTA summits. During my search for a suitable destination on https://sotl.as/, I stumbled upon Tenerife. With its 19 SOTA summits, including several volcanoes, and of course, Mount Teide, the highest peak in Spanish territory, I knew, “That’s where I want to go!”

Three weeks before the planned date, I booked my flight. Planning was completed, and I loaded the GPX files onto MAPY.CZ for Android. However, there were still some unclear points, especially regarding permissions for Mount Teide. Ascending Mount Teide during the daytime seemed impossible since all slots were booked three months in advance. But then I came across EA8AMT, Raúl, a local resident and one of the two people (Alex - @EA8DKV ) who have activated all SOTA summits in Tenerife.

I exchanged emails with Raúl. He provided details about each summit and explained possible routes, but more on that later. At this point, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to RAÚL - EA8AMT. He was in contact with me via 2m-band radio and email throughout my trip, both before and during.

With that, there was nothing stopping the journey, except for flying with radios and batteries. Luckily, a Ryanair chat representative assured me that accumulators up to 100 Wh are not an issue and can be carried in hand luggage. However, it’s essential not to carry too many batteries, as there’s a limit on accumulators per person.

On October 30, it was finally time. With my hiking backpack, suitcase, and radio equipment, I flew to Tenerife. After a roughly five-hour flight, my arrival and car rental transfer, I drove to my hotel in Guaza, checked in, and headed directly to my first SOTA summit.

Day 1 - 30.10.2023

EA8/TF-010 - Roque del Conde

My first summit in Tenerife. I drove to the village of Vento, parked my car, and began my hike. The landscape immediately impressed me. The trail was well-trodden, and after 2.7 km, I had already reached the summit.

EA8/TF-014 - Roque de Jama

The first activation was already behind me, so I proceeded directly to the second summit, Roque de Jama. The path was straightforward and not too strenuous, taking only a short time to complete.

Day 2 - 31.10.2023

EA8/TF-012 – Chinobre
On the second day, I decided to drive to the north by car to conserve energy for the Teide ascent the next day. The car ride was long and characterized by narrow mountain roads. Parking was straightforward by the roadside, and the trail to the summit led through a beautiful green forest.

EA8/TF-011 – Paso

A few minutes further was the Paso summit. Many tourists came here to hike, which became evident when no parking was available nearby. Therefore, I continued until I found a suitable spot to start my hike to the summit. The forest was dense, and it was a bit of a struggle to make my way through, but I eventually reached the summit. Here, I could only set up my shortened EndFed antenna. Despite the suboptimal setup and the antenna not being resonant, I made very good radio contacts.

EA8/TF-008 – Taborno

Afterward, I continued towards Taborno. Access to the summit was not allowed, but some people crossed the barrier and activated the summit directly at the top. I found myself in the activation zone further down. Due to limited space, I set up my shortened antenna again and still made several contacts.

EA8/TF-018 – Güímar

As this day went well despite the rain, I spontaneously decided to climb the Güímar volcano on the way back to the hotel. Ascending the summit was best approached from the rear, and the path was easy and well-trodden.

Day 3 - 01.11.2023

EA8/TF-001 - El Teide

After a restful night, I headed to “Playa del Duque” in the morning to bask in the sun on the beach. Around 12:30, I started my journey to the Teide National Park. En route, I visited the “Pino Gordo.” At the parking lot where the “Sendero de Montana Blanca” begins, I waited for about five minutes until a spot opened up. Then I started my hike. Right from the start, I met an Italian and two Spaniards, and we hiked together. We waited at the Refugio de Altavista until 5:40 PM. None of us had the required permit to pass the checkpoint before 6PM. At the summit, I made many 2m radio contacts. It was too windy and cold for HF. Afterwards we used headlamps to make our way back to the car. It was a fantastic experience.

Day 4 - 02.11.2023

EA8/TF-015 - Roque Chiguel

Roque Chiguel was a very exposed and wild summit. The path I chose was very challenging. I got lost and deviated from the trail. After a long hike and some minor hand abrasions, I finally reached the summit. I cannot recommend this path at all. There are supposedly other routes to the summit that may be more interesting.

EA8/TF-013 - Montaña de la Atalaya

Montaña de la Atalaya was one of the shortest summits on my journey. There were plenty of parking spots just before the summit. After a 10-minute walk, I reached the summit.

EA8/TF-019 – Rojar

Heading toward the sunset, I chose Rojar, located right next to the TF1 highway and perfect for my route back. Many people visited this spot to watch the sunset. There was ample space and setup possibilities for various antennas.

Day 5 - 03.11.2023

EA8/TF-002 – Guajara & EA8/TF-003 - Roque de la Grieta

The next day, I decided to ascend the Guajara and Roque de la Grieta summits. The hike was very long and strenuous, especially in the heat.

EA8/TF-002 – Guajara

The path to the Guajara summit was well-marked, pleasant to walk, and I reached the summit in about an hour. There was ample space and the remains of an old observatory, which could be used as a windbreak or even for overnight stays in case of an emergency.

EA8/TF-003 - Roque de la Grieta

The trail from Guajara to Roque de la Grieta was

good, with several variations that could be taken. However, just before reaching the summit, the path ended. Here, one had to traverse a rocky terrain to reach the summit. It’s important to pay close attention to the map to pinpoint the exact location of the summit, as there were several almost identical-looking peaks, and naturally, I ascended all three.

Day 6 - 04.11.2023

EA8/TF-004 - El Sombrero & EA8/TF-005 - Montaña del Cedro & EA8/TF-006 - Colorados de Chinoia

One of the most demanding days of my trip.

EA8/TF-004 - El Sombrero

The path to El Sombrero from Mount Teide side was very steep! There were many small stones that made it easy to slip. At the top, you had to walk around the summit, and on the backside, it was possible to climb the summit without any issues. It was essential to return the same way as marked on OpenTopoMaps. However, due to my curiosity, I chose the wrong path again.

EA8/TF-005 - Montaña del Cedro

One should definitely ascend “Montaña del Cedro” from the rear. There was a nice path, and it saved you from climbing on uneven ground. Again, there was ample space for antennas.

EA8/TF-006 - Colorados de Chinoia

There were hardly any trails, and you had to fight through the wilderness.

After this challenging tour, I enjoyed the sunset in the national park.

Day 7 - 05.11.2023

EA8/TF-007 - Cruz de Gala

The path to the Cruz de Gala summit led along an asphalted road. Be cautious, as many stray dogs roamed the area. Once at the top, a construction site was visible, likely for a new transmission tower.

After returning to the car, I met @OE5JFE, JOE, who joined me to activate the next two summits.

EA8/TF-009 – Baracán

After a breathtaking drive along the mountain road passing by Masca, you reach the parking lot leading to the Baracán summit. With Joe by my side, we hiked up the trail. We set up Joe’s 2m Slim-J antenna and made several contacts in the 2m band. Subsequently, we made contacts in the 10m, 15m, and 20m bands.

EA8/TF-017 - Montaña de Taco

Continuing, we headed to the Montaña de Taco summit. Joe and I hiked up the road to the barrier, and then we went directly to the left. We followed the path until we reached the summit. We activated the summit in the 2m band and then set up our antennas to make simultaneous QSOs.

After the activations, we found a restaurant in the village of Las Canteras to wind down and enjoy the evening.

Day 8 – 06.11.2023

EA8/TF-016 – Guaza

My last day in Tenerife had arrived. Well-rested, I set out towards the Guaza summit. It was a well-traveled path, and I encountered many athletes and seniors along the way.

After the activation, I headed to the beach to savor the last warm hours of the year. On the ninth day, I had my flight back to Vienna at 11 AM.

THANK YOU!

I would like to express my special gratitude once again to Raúl – EA8AMT, who supported me throughout my entire journey.
Also, thanks to Joe – OE5JFE, who activated two summits with me!
Thanks to all the amateur radio operators from Tenerife, Gran Canaria, and La Gomera for the contacts in the 2m band!
And thank you to all others who contacted me during my activations!

@EA2DT, EA8ASL, @EA5JN, SM5LNE, @EA7GV, @F4WBN, SP6KEP, @EA1DHB, EA8DDW, EA3EVL, EA8FJ, S57S, @CT2IWW, IN3ADF, @OK2PDT, @ND0C,ON7ZM, EA7ANC, EA8DKV, OH1MM, SA4BLM, EA2CKX, IN3NJB, OE7PHI, EA1GKP, EA2BD, EC8ADS, IW3AGO, DJ2MX, EA1AAP, EA8DNV, DL8DXL, EA3HP, EA8BWD, EA8BYC, EA8CZ, EA8DS, KD1CT, M0CQE, OE5JKL, OK1SDE, ON7MD, SV3IEG, 2E0VRX, DL5EBG, EA1FHY, EA2FAU, EA4BQG, EA5TU, EA7TS, EA8/OE1KEB, EA8CZL, EA8DAR, EA8DNZ, EA8IH, EA8VJ, G4AFI, G4OBK, IK1GPG, IX1IHR, OE5EEP, OE6GND, OE9HRV, ON4CB, PY2PLL, S58AL, SM4CJM, SO9P, SQ9MDF, SQ9NOT, 2E0FEH, DJ5AV, DK7ZB, DL7CX, EA2ATL, EA2BO, EA2TW, EA3HAB, EA7JJR, EA8AIJ, EA8AP, EA8ARM, EA8BNZ, EA8CBY, EA8CHF, EA8CWA, EA8DEY, EA8DHY, EA8DIZ, EA8DJT, EA8DLY, EA8OV, EA8YN, EB8AWV, F5JKK, G0VWP, G3RDQ, GW4RFT, IK3SWB, IN3IJJ, IN3PBO, IU3GKJ, IW0HLE, IW2NXI, LW2DO, M1TES, OE5FSM, OH2CGU, S52RA, SV2RUJ, WB6POT, WB8BHN, 2E0IGD, 4Z4DX, 9A2KI, 9A3BJC, AA8WQ, CS7AWH, CS7AWO, CT1HIX, CT2IQK, DF1AI, DF2QZ, DG0JMB, DG1NM, DG1NPM, DJ5RE, DK4RM, DL1DVE, DL1GRC, DL2DXA, DL2RDT, DL4FO, DL6MST, DL8AWJ, DM7KN/P, EA1BUL, EA1DRL, EA1EV, EA1FB, EA1FOV, EA1GIB, EA1IPR, EA2CQ/P, EA2DDG, EA2ETV, EA3BP, EA3GNU/P, EA4FTV, EA4GOK, EA4GVU, EA4HSC, EA4R, EA5EFU, EA5FPL, EA5HOP, EA7BO, EA7HW, EA7KHR, EA8/YV5ATS/P, EA8AA, EA8AE, EA8AHH, EA8AQK, EA8BFH, EA8BFL, EA8CB, EA8CCA, EA8CGY, EA8CIG, EA8CII, EA8CJZ, EA8CZM, EA8DDL, EA8DGC, EA8DGO, EA8DHC, EA8DIF/M, EA8DIO, EA8DIO/P, EA8DKD, EA8DKW, EA8DLH, EA8DMS, EA8DMY, EA8DMZ, EA8DNG, EA8DOF, EA8IS, EA8L, EA8ML, EA8QZ, EA8SR, EA8TU, EA9LS, EB1AC, EB1CIC, EB4FZI, EC5ALJ, F4GBY, F6FTB, F6KRK, F8DAM, G0HRT, G4YBU, GI0AZA, GI0AZB, GI4ONL, GM3JW, GM4JXP/P, GM4ZMK, HB9CGA, HB9EAJ/P, HB9EVF/P, HB9HXJ/P, HB9MKV, I0KHY, IK2IQD, IK2JTS, IK2LEY, IK2LEY/P, IK3AMB, IK3VVA, IK6BAK/P, IN3DOV, IT9SMU, IV3GVY, IW2BNA, IW2OEV, IW3BSO, IZ1GDB, IZ8DFO, K6EL, K8LJG, KC2WLR, KO6BXE, LA5WNA, LU1MAW, LW2O, LX1CC, M0DLL, M0ICR, M1AOB, MM0MMN, MM1EYP/P, N6AF, NE4TN, OE3GGS, OE3KAB, OE5HDN, OE5YYN, OH1CM, OH1RR, OH7TO, OK1CZ, OK1VEI, OK2QA, OM3CND, OM5TX, ON2KMJ, ON4ON, PA5KM, PA7RA, PU1JSV, PY1PDF, PY2QT, PY2VM, S52AU, S57MS/P, SM4BNZ, SM6CNX, SP8DJY, SP8DR, SV2CNE, SV2NCH, SV2OXS, SV2RUJ/P, SV4SWQ, UR0PA, VE9GLF, VE9MY, W4GA, W4GO, YO3DAM/P, ZS6JGW, ZS6MSM, ZS6RDP

Julian, IN3JIB, OE1JLN

22 Likes

Thanks Julian for the two activations together and the news and infos shared. It was great start for my vacation. And getting to know that there are may contacts to be made on 2m FM motivated me to quickly pickup the bare minimum of Spanish vocabulary for making QSO.
I have recorded video footage of our activations and will make a video when I am back home to share that moment.

Not sure if I will activate all the EA8 summits as you said it is almost like “work” to do all of them in such a short time. And I need vacation :slight_smile:
But hat off and congratulations to your fitness and dedication. :+1:

But for now…
With the support of the EA8 chaser I hope to activate El Teide EA8/TF-001 tomorrow evening for a sunset activation. And when wx allows also HF. I brought warm cloth and gloves. Let’s see.

If you are somehow between OE1 and IN3 let me know and we go on a OE5 summit together.

73 Joe

7 Likes

Thanks Julian for your activation details with splendid photos.
Cheers- :beers:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Thanks a lot Joe! It was fun!
Trust me your going to be a pro in spanisch. hahahaha.
Very nice, can’t wait to see it!

Enjoy the summits, the sun and the beaches!
Thx! Yes it was also for me a challenge.

Yes! I think it should be not a problem! Lets see if the wind is not to strong! Maybe you are finding a place that is sheltered from the wind and you can make also some HF contacts.

Of course! Thank you again Joe!

I will follow your activations every day!

73 Julian

1 Like

you gave a lot of your own life for sota… I appreciate it leszek

3 Likes

Hello Leszek,

thank you a lot! :wink:

It was fun activating the mountains of Tenerife!

Julian

Hallo Julian,
Gratuliere zu den Akt.der Berge auf Teneriffa.
Danke für die Verbindungen wenn Sie auch manchmal schwierig waren.
Die Bilder sind auch Super :+1:
Grüße 73
Heinrich

1 Like

Julian,

Thanks for the 5 QSOs while you were on holiday in EA8! It was a pleasure to work you and thank you for the good ears to hear my 5 watts! It looks like you had an amazing trip - thanks for all the great pictures and descriptions!

Randy, ND0C

1 Like

Hallo Heinrich,

Danke dir!
Ja waren nicht immer einfach :wink:

Julian

Hello Randy,

Thank you as well! We both with QRP stations and really good contacts!!

Julian

Congratulations for making it!

I was not able to chase you on all summits, but you encouraged me to try and activate all of them. Thank you for the detailed report, will take it into account in my future activations.
Hope to meet you in the future in the waves.

2 Likes

Well done !

The next marathon would be adding all the routes to the SOTA Maps database so they will appear in sotlas.

This provides a useful database for future expeditions and they can be downloaded.

I generally try to add routes if they are not duplicates of existing routes. Most of the time I do remove my mistakes in navigation !

73 de

Andrew G4VFL

2 Likes

Hello Javier,
nice to hear from you!
I will follow your plans! And check periodically how your progess is going!
17 left :wink:

For sure!
Thx Javier!

Julian

Hello Andrew,

Thx. Yes that would be the next part haha. I need to read how the progress of including GPX in SOTA Maps database works.

Yes usefull data for the summit is very nice!

Julian

2 Likes

Congratulations and well done on your effort to activate all these summits.

Thanks a lot for the QSOs Julian, and for all this useful info to access these references.
I will keep it bookmarked for the case I can travel to EA8/TF somewhen and grab some Completes.

Take care, 73 Ignacio

1 Like

Thx Ignacio!
Thank you for chasing me on the mountains!
For sure go to EA8/TF and check out the amazing landscape!

Julian

Hi Julian and Joe,
¡Felicitaciones y gracias por activar las cumbres de Canarias!
This is Jorge and we did S2S while I was in Murcia. I have enjoyed a lot with your report. Could you tell us about the antenna and rig you used?
Hope to contact you again in the future.
73 de Jorge (EA1FOV/p)

2 Likes

Hello Jorge!
Gracias también!
Yes I remember, it was on EA8/TF-009 Baracán. We used Joe’s setup. A KX2 with an 10m J-Antenna. I think Joe used a 300 ohm ladder line. But @OE5JFE can say more about it :wink:

For sure Jorge! 20m works perfectly from Italy/Austria to spain!

Julian

1 Like

Ancora complimenti Julian per la tua ottima performance! E grazie per i collegamenti effettuati, anche se un po’ faticosi. Bellissimo il reportage e le foto. Peccato non averti potuto ascoltare con Joe dal Baracan: avrei fatto il completo. Pazienza, la montagna è sempre là. A presto da Austria o Italia. Ciao
Claudio IX1IHR

1 Like

Grazie Claudio! È stata una settimana faticosa. Ma ho anche visto molte cose nuove ed è stato divertente. Grazie mille! Sì, al Baracan abbiamo attivato solo 2m e 10m. Spero che la prossima volta sia nelle Dolomiti :wink:

Julian