Activation G/WB-022

This afternoon’s activation served to confirm my view that 2m SSB on a weekday is a waste of time. I managed only 5 contacts in an hour of operation, despite self-spotting on Sotawatch. It was not that I wasn’t getting out … the 5 QSOs that I did make were Manchester, Ipswich, Tamworth, Calais (France) and Oxfordshire. It was just lack of activity.

Many thanks to those who did help me to qualify! In future I shall probably stick to HF CW on weekdays and reserve 2m SSB for weekends.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I had a long look at 144.310 around 14:20 - 14:30z Walt, but the frequency was occupied at this end by a 2E0 and a G8 in chat mode. Couldn’t hear anything of you in between their overs, so I assume you were elsewhere looking for contacts. Pity as I always try to support 2m SSB when there is the possibility of a contact, but having said that most summits are uphill from here… quite literally as I live on a SE facing slope!

73, Gerald

In reply to G3NYY:

Walt, did have a listen out for you when the alert came up but no joy, my take-off to the South is very poor indeed. Spring/summer weekdays are usually quite lively on the band though as tropo conditions improve. On a slightly different note: there have been a couple of marginal E openings on 6m over the past few days, maybe another option to consider?

73, Chris

In reply to G3NYY:
Glad I inspired you to go out Walt!
I wasn’t back in the shack until late afternoon so missed your activation.
I have worked WB-022 from home on 2m ssb even though it is not a good path from here.
Out of interest, what antenna are you using for 2m ssb?

Ron, GW4EVX

In reply to GW4EVX:

Out of interest, what antenna are you using for 2m ssb?

Hi Ron!

I am using the 3 element SOTAbeam. Today I was running just 5 watts from the FT-817ND. I was particularly pleased with the QSO with F6FLB in Calais.

Thanks to the others who listened for me. The GB3VHF beacon was S9 and the GB3ANG beacon was S7.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Well done Walt!

I’m coming to much the same conclusion - especially from the central part of GM land. I alerted for GM/SS-125 (Scald Law) for today but had no takers at all. Admittedly I was freezing so only called for 8 mins on SSB and 5 mins on FM. Also I did not self spot, which maybe I should have, but I still have a reluctance to do that - I’m a dinosaur and still rely on CQ usually!

Scald Law has never been a great success to the south for me on 2m except for mostly S2S contacts; there are some highish hills in the way, but I was hoping that my 7 ele yagi plus 20W or so would do the job. I’ll try again on a better day.

Hill conditions were really cold - no wind where I parked the car, but a strong wind, enough to bend the pole significantly (especially with the windage of that beam) up at the summit. The snow was quite hard going in places too - deep light stuff with a hard crust that mostly supported my weight (substantial!), but I went through up to the knees enough for it to be annoying. Still, it (a) reminded me of just how cold the Scottish hills are once there’s a bit of snow about, and (b) was a nice little walk anyway.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

I’m coming to much the same conclusion - especially from the central
part of GM land. I alerted for GM/SS-125 (Scald Law) for today but had
no takers at all. Admittedly I was freezing so only called for 8 mins
on SSB and 5 mins on FM. Also I did not self spot, which maybe I
should have, but I still have a reluctance to do that - I’m a dinosaur
and still rely on CQ usually!

Hi John!

Congratulations on the attempted activation anyway, and sorry you drew a blank.
Yes, as an ex-GM myself, I know how deserted the VHF and UHF bands can be up there!

The rain and sleet has returned here today. :frowning: Stuck at home, I have been amusing myself looking at the prices of “slightly used” Defender 90 Land Rovers! It would be a nice toy for the coming SOTA season, but the very poor mpg (around 28) puts me off a little. Even my 2 litre BMW 3 series averages 40 mpg, but it is not designed for bumpy mountain roads.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Walt

Try a mountain bike. You could get a good one for around £1,000.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

ROTFL! I already have a Raleigh Gritstone. It cost me £299 about 5 years ago. I wouldn’t spend any more than that on a bike.
:slight_smile:

73 de G3NYY (Walt)

In reply to G3NYY:

I have been amusing myself looking at the prices of “slightly used” Defender 90
Land Rovers!

It’s not the purchase cost that is the problem. Nor the fuel cost even. It’s the keeping them running cost that goes with “failure to proceed” reputation that accompanies this fine product from Solihull!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
“failure to proceed reputation” and “this fine product from Solihull!”

Sounds a bit of an oxymoron to me.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA

In reply to G3NYY:

Slightly OT:

Wlat, you seem to have been licensed for 50 years this month. A moderate amount of congratulations are in order I think!

Andy (only licensed 20 years)
MM0FMF

Congratulations indeed. Nice one Walt. Or “Wlat” if Andy is to be believed; any more advice on touch typing to share Andy? :wink:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Wlat knows who Wlat is :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Tee hee! Many thanks, gentlemen. Yes, the 50th anniversary of '3NYY is on 30th January! Perhaps I’ll do a celebratory activation next Saturday.

73 de Wlat (G3NYY)

In reply to MM0FMF:

It’s not the purchase cost that is the problem. Nor the fuel cost
even. It’s the keeping them running cost that goes with “failure
to proceed” reputation that accompanies this fine product from
Solihull!

I have been reading reviews of Land Rover Defenders. Jeremy Clarkson absolutely HATES them, but Sir Ranulph Fiennes would have nothing else.
I think I’ll have to ask Bear Grylls for a casting vote.
:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

PS: I came across this amusing press cutting.

I should have thought an alternative “loophole” defence would have been to state that a Landy isn’t capable of breaking the speed limit! Hi hi!