Activating three in WB

Thanks to everyone that replied to my and Carolyn’s (G6WRW) calls from Seager Hill (G/WB-022), Aconbury Hill (G/WB-024) and Garway Hill (G/WB-013). These were my first set of activations on HF and we had lots fun full of contacts: Carolyn had 54 on 60 metres (with a summit to summit) and 14 on 40 metres, while I had 45 on 80 metres. She used a modified FT817 and I used a FT897, both with a home-brew inverted-V.

After seeing the weather forecast we decided it would be safer to head south and avoid the rain over north Wales. Carolyn only had 6 more summits to complete WB with three of those towards Hereford so that was the way we went. I apologise for confusing everyone with a spot rather than an alert when we were driving down; I thought it strange that I could not put in a time or multiple frequencies but I am not a morning person!

Arriving at the base of Seager Hill we had a steep then muddy walk up the footpath to the trig point. There were great views all around to Titterstone Clee Hill, Abberley Hill and the Malverns with dark clouds travelling south-east from the direction of Snowdonia. Having set up the antenna (and realising after starting that we had the legs confused), Carolyn called on 60 metres. An hour later, after the contacts for both of us had dried up, we headed back down the hill and on to Aconbury Hill. The path here was muddy in places but it was a nice gentle gradient all the way to the trig point. Lots of dog walkers around but we managed to set up the antenna in the small clearing just off the path. Another busy session ensued and again we spoke to all that called; I even had to continue on 80 metres after we asked for a spot for Carolyn on 40 metres when it went quiet.

We decided at this point that we had just enough time to get back to the camper, drive to Garway Hill, get to the summit and activate it before it got dark. We had some trouble deciding where to park and which was the best approach but found the start of the road up to the transmitter and on to brick structure at the top. By the way, this was the base of a test transmitter during the war (see Summit of Garway Hill © Philip Halling :: Geograph Britain and Ireland), so it is apt that it is now a summit we all head up to play radio. Sorry if we were terse, but we wanted to get everyone before it got dark and I think we managed it. Lots of fun (if a bit windy and exposed) and we made it back to the camper before the darkness took hold.

Thanks again to all the chasers and hope to see you all on a another hill and HF band soon,

Helen
M3YHB

Great report Helen.

Jimmy and I enjoyed those hills when we did all 24 WBs at the end of summer 2006.

I think there are two roads up to transmitters on Garway Hill as I recall. We used a tarmac road up to just before a residence. The other road went to a tranamitter at the end of the ridge, but looked only suitable for a 4WD.

We did Aconbury Hill on VHF, so continued past the trig point to a north-facing clearing, which got us into the Midlands. I guess that just wasn’t an issue on HF.

We also operated by the trig point on Seager Hill, although we were oblivious to the fact that that point was not the summit! Happily though, it is comfortably within the AZ.

Thanks for bringing back some good memories of a big SOTA expedition (27 activations in 6 days). Our photos are via the ‘Summits’ link above if you want to compare notes.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M3YHB:
Thanks for all three summits - two were new to me on hf (and meant two new WAB areas for my hf book also!).

Graham G4FUJ

In reply to M3YHB:

I was glad to see that you qualified all three summits so easily. Normally I would have tried to work any second operator on a joint activation such as yourself, but although I worked Carolyn on each summit via 5mHz I was then dragged away from the radio and never even got to listen on 80m. Hopefully I will not be so busy next time. I wonder what Carolyn’s next target will be after WB is completed?

Best wishes Steve GW7AAV

In reply to M1EYP:

We always enjoy looking at your pages before heading out so please keep them coming.

We realised that the trig point was not the absolute summit of Seager Hill but I collect them and it was a reasonably clear area so we stayed there knowing we were within the activation zone.

We went up to Garway Hill approaching the transmitter from the east, past the houses, waterworks and The White House before heading south to the summit. We only realised after we had walked up the road that we could have parked outside the waterworks gates but never mind it will keep us fit ;o)

I did not realise you had done all the WB summits in 6 days. I think we need to plan a long weekend somewhere up north and get some there,

Helen
M3YHB

In reply to GW7AAV:

My first HF activations and it was easy so no problem Steve. I must admit I was worried that everyone would have worked Carolyn on 5 MHz and then left me but I think there were plenty still waiting to chase on a different band. Good to get some European stations too.

I think Carolyn’s plan is to get all the GW/MW summits; she has already completed G/CE and has only three left of G/WB.

Helen
M3YHB

I think we need to plan a long weekend somewhere up north

Do you still need any in G/SP? It would be nice to meet for a joint activation and drink.

I’ve already done my three most local ones this year, but as you may have gathered, I don’t really mind repeating them for no points!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M3YHB:

In reply to M1EYP:

We realised that the trig point was not the absolute summit of Seager
Hill but I collect them and it was a reasonably clear area so we
stayed there knowing we were within the activation zone.

Helen
M3YHB

You collect them? I’ve noticed a few were missing, where do you keep them? :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks for the offer Tom, that would be great. Neither of us have any in G/SP but I am not sure when we will have a weekend free. I notice you have not done the ones in Lancashire this year yet; do you fancy some long walks with a winter bonus? Otherwise we could always do your locals; it would be nice to see The Cloud and Gun after hearing you on them so many times!

Helen
M3YHB

In reply to G8ADD:

Shhh! I put them here: http://www.trigpointinguk.com/

It is very annoying when they have been taken before I get there ;o) The most recent was Waun Fach in December last year in the freezing weather before New Year,

Helen
M3YHB

That’s right Helen, Jimmy and I are tending not to do annual repeats for points anymore, just uniques - except for my local “training” of course.

But the one thing that gets Jimmy interested in a revisit is some company. He loves joint activations and meeting new amateurs. So yes, a meet-up to do a Lancashire pair - SP-005 and SP-008 for instance, which would attract 10 points in December, would be great.

And we’re always happy to be your guides around SP-013, SP-015 and SP-004 regardless of how many times we’ve done them or how many points we won’t get!

I haven’t updated my record on Trigpointing UK for ages. Whether I can be bothered or not I don’t know!

Cheers, Tom