Accidentally pinned topic?

Do any of the moderators know why the topic

Tutorial cazadores SOTA en castellano

has been stuck in second place on “Reflector latest” for so long? Has it been “pinned”, accidentally or otherwise? Surely it has been there long enough.

In reply to M1MAJ:

It is a SOTA tutorial for Spanish speaking participants. There are some Spanish speaking Associations in the pipeline so it has been left there as a courtesy.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1MAJ:

Sorry I’m not a moderator but as multilingual operator just say to you Martyn : open your mind ! you are not alone in this G/all part of the rest of world party :slight_smile: and after the good job of Rafa EB2DJB, I will say many thanks to all moderators of native SOTA to put this entry on this place …
I would look one of these day an Italian version or any version that can expand fairly the awareness of the program front to the envy of the WFF committe… I’m using a poor english, sorry for that but can make my life in Barcelona and some other countries, maybe you can understand

Eric F5JKK and some other calls

In reply to F5JKK:

Hola Eric!

I am sure that in the fullness of time it will move from a pinned thread to a Spanish flag at the top of the site along many other languages as SOTA brings the International Community of Radio Amateurs together.

So, my question is ‘What are Hams known as in other parts of the world’?

What is Amateur Radio in Spanish?

Simon M0TGT

In reply to M0TGT:
Hi Simon try to find “patas negras” or a single “jamon serrano” as you want if you talking only of hams !! But if you talk about radio amateurs … all other can take with respect, like the moderator of the site who put the spanish translation on the thread.
I have a spanish mother and german father, born in north Africa and visited a lot of another countries. I can imagine the world outside Islands mentality and saying that without any antagonism

Truly Eric F5JKK

In reply to F5JKK:

I imagine that at some future time such tutorials may find a home on the website and might be accompanied by similar tutorials in other major languages if we can find people able and willing to write them.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to F5JKK:

Sorry I’m not a moderator but as multilingual operator just say to you
Martyn : open your mind !

I don’t have the slightest problem with tutorial documentation being provided in as many languages as possible. I simply wondered why it had been pinned to the top of what is supposed to be a DISCUSSION forum for such a long time. There’s a main site where other documentation lives, so I would have thought that it better belonged there in the long term.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Yes, in the long term, I totally agree Martyn.

In the short term, we are currently enjoying a major expansion of SOTA into the Spanish speaking world with several EA associations joined, some new associations in parts of the US with Spanish-speaking communities, and some expressions of interest from South and Central America. So at the current time, it is helpful to have the document displayed prominently on SOTAwatch.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G8ADD:

It is a SOTA tutorial for Spanish speaking participants. There are
some Spanish speaking Associations in the pipeline so it has been left
there as a courtesy.

It’s now been there for a whole year!

Perhaps it’s time for it to be unpinned - after all, as Martyn said, this is a discussion forum.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

When the pressure of work allows us to set up a better place - perhaps on the website - it will vanish. Until then I must ask you to put up with this minor irritation.

Brian G8ADD

Hi all:

From my point of view, I agree to move the file, like many others that could be produced in the future, to a section devoted for Tutorials for beginners and hints.

In the mean time, as some here requested for some spanish keywords of our hobby there we go:

Amateur radio = Radioaficion
Amateur radio operador = Radioaficionado
Rig = Equipo
Antenna = Antena
Transmitter = Transmisor
Receiver = Receptor
Q code = Codigo Q
Summits on the air = Cimas en el aire

Some are not really that different… Small World this is…

But remember that if you ask for Ham in Spain you won’t regret about the delicious Jamon Serrano you’ll get!!

72/73
Ignacio EA2BD

In reply to EA2BD:

Thanks for that, Ignacio.

Note that the file has now been moved to a permanent home on the website, it can be found here:

http://www.sota.org.uk/RulesAndGuidelines

I hope that as SOTA spreads around the world, this file will be joined by others in major languages of the world.

Brian G8ADD