Absolute recommendation for 4 small, pretty summits near Strasbourg

We had it in a thread of successful combo days:

Recently was another one of those days for me.
I was invited to a weekend with friends near Heidelberg and wanted to do a few summits on the way there… but arrive in time for coffee in the afternoon.

Andrew @VK1AD had called for long-distance S2S and I wanted to incorporate that. As an early riser, this wasn’t a problem for me

The activation was planned on FL/VO-157. On the way there is a beautiful little chapel that is worth a quick visit.

The summit itself was perfect and the morning sun on the bench was pleasant. There is plenty of space for an antenna so setting up the endfed was no problem… and the DX came too.

I did QRT after about 20 minutes because I still had other summits on the list.

After about 20 minutes of driving, I found a shady parking lot at 48.67805, 7.30062 from which FL/VO-115 and FL/VO-119 can each be reached in 20 minutes… at well signposted trails.

I prefer hiking on challenging single trails with roots and coarse stones. That’s exactly what I was offered here. The summits are crowned with mighty rocks at FL/VO-115 and an impressive castle ruin at FL/VO-119. This happens a lot in this area… but it’s always nice!

The next parking lot was 48.71155, 7.33173… from here there is a well-signposted trail to FL/VO-050 in less than 30 minutes, for which I also recommend good hiking shoes. At the top there is a viewing tower and many benches on a large lawn. It is a popular picnic spot.

I was in time at my friends’ house for coffee at 3 p.m. local time… :sweat_smile:

Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos… but there are some on the www.

An absolutely recommended combination!

73 Armin

10 Likes