A Welshman and his dog in the Lakes G/LD land

O yes, the route was really good fun, just a bad decision made by myself at the start which zapped my energy :see_no_evil: lovely views from the top of all 3 summits. I didn’t fancy the scree descent from Pillar, not after taking the one down GG :blush: many thanks.

73, GW4BML. Ben

I’m glad I descended the way I did :blush: there was enough ups and downs in this route, hi! Well done on tackling the scree descent from Pillar, it looked pretty steep from up top! Photos never show the true angle.

As for phone signal, it sounds like nothing much has changed. I struggled on all 3 in places to get anything!

Take care and 73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Paul and I failed to find the proper path which is on the right side of the scree slope looking down from the top. Our excuse was a very limited visibility of around 5 - 10 metres.

I enjoyed operating 2m SSB from Green Gable in the mist. A guy came over and asked if he could listen, so I took my headphones off and turned the volume up. He sat down to listen. After 10 minutes he got up, thanked me and disappeared into the mist. I often wonder whether he ever recalls meeting someone operating radio on Green Gable. :grinning:

1 Like

Looks like a great day out Ben. I’ve done that same 3 peak activation myself a long time back when I was younger, slimmer and had decent knees. If you do it again I’d advise looking at walking to Sty Head and taking the path straight up Great Gable from there. The steep scree route you took is very hard work, though I did once encounter two ladies running down there with dogs in rucksacks!

Russell

2 Likes

Ben,

Being relatively new to SOTA & located down in G/SC land… I’ve not made it into G/LD but you certainly make it look a challenging and rewarding experience - the photos are stunning so, well done! I also doubt that Doris (our Frenchie) would survive such a trip.

(btw, I chased you when you were at GW/MW-004 but missed you this time)

73, Lea M0XPO

2 Likes

It was quite a steep descent @G4OIG Gerald, but the wx was with me, so I was lucky I could see.

You do get the occasional person who asks what you are doing, or…. can they listen to who your speaking with :blush: I always wonder what they are thinking!

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

Hi Russell,

Many thanks for the kind words and information, I’ll look at doing your route next year. It was rather steep and a lot of loose stone under your feet making it hard on the knees! Fair a play to both ladies, that would take some doing. I bet the dogs had a bumpy ride!

Take care and 73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Hi Lea,

Once you’ve got the SOTA bug, that’s it :rofl: it’s very addictive but also great fun and awarding! You’ll love visiting G/LD land when you do, there are plenty of summits to choose from and great views from the top! I’m planning on a few more trips up this year, maybe staying in a hotel next time. You could also find some smaller routes so you can take Doris too :+1:

Thanks for the chase on MW-004, I’ll listen out for you when I’m back in that location. Hope to be down GW/SW again the weekend after next. I’ll listen out for you!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like