A very windy Ben Avon (GM/ES-006) and Beinn A'Bhuird (GM/ES-004)

After a lovely Lochnagar trip the other week, I was keen to do some more high summits before the weather got worse and the darkness set in. Although turns out the weather is already worse! It’s school holidays here, so with no family schedule constraints, I could go out for the whole day, and I decided to try these two big uns.

The route was similar to other’s reports, parking at Keiloch, paying the £3.50, then cycling, before hiking. I decided to bike as far as I could towards The Sneck, and just retrace my steps from Beinn a’Bhuird back. This is instead of doing the loop where you walk to South Top, then down the side and meet the path again after crossing Quoich Water. As I could see the low cloud I thought I’d rather not be walking that route for the first time, and just retrace my steps. Although given my “retracing” and the completely indistinguishable terrain, it probably didn’t matter. It also meant more cycling on the way in, which helped my timing.

The route in has a few parallel paths, including the Fairy Glen, and I’m not sure I took the best ones, and had to push the bike up some steep rocky parts in places. I tried the other way on the way back and it wasn’t much better, and then I missed the turn and went through the Fairy Glen - although didn’t see the secret bothy, but also didn’t look very hard as I wanted to get back.

The weather was reasonable in the morning, patches of sun between the clouds and fairly mild for 8am. The forecast had the summits in cloud with strong winds, 30-40 mph with gusts of 50 mph. However, until I got to The Sneck, there was minimal wind, but boy, once I did! :wind_face: It was absolutely relentless, with my hood acting like a reed in a trumpet with an enthusiastic player. I gave the edge a wide berth, not trusting myself if there was a sudden gust that I wasn’t braced for. Snow was minimal on the way to the Ben Avon summit, with just small pockets that resisted being blown away.

Out of the mist the tor emerges and I have arrived! Peaking through the rock formation - which acted like the mouth piece of the trumpet - revealed more snow on that side.

I found a nice rock to hide behind and setup the slim G on the carbon mast. My last activation on Carn a’Gheoidh (GM/CS-030), suffered a lot from the mast bending too much in the wind and the antenna sliding off. Up until this point, I’d forgotten about this and so hadn’t prepared anything else. Luckily the slight sheltering seem to keep the antenna on and I managed to make my QSOs. The most exciting was a summit to summit with Fraser, @MM0EFI, who’s on Mull and was up GM/SI-016, 100 miles away. We were both on HTs and slim G antenna!

Off to the next summit! The walk was barren, non-identifiable and had much more snow, oh, plus the wind continued.

The frozen burns were interesting, some I could walk over, and some were only partially frozen. The small waterfalls would trap air underneath and then the bubbles would travel under the ice for a few meters before escaping.

The summit was hard to find, my GPS route had come to an end but I couldn’t see anything. Some general blind amberling around eventually found it hidden in the cloud. I was a bit disappointed in the cairn, I was hoping I could at least hide in it, and even when crouched down behind it, the wind still got me.

I then proceeded to spend ages messing about, trying to get setup on HF, but nothing would stay still. The wind pulled out guys and pegs, it bent the top of mast over 90° and so wires would come off, I angled the mast 35° off the ground into the wind, and the top still bent over enough for the wire to be pulled off. I held the mast with my body weight but still the wind could pick me up with only the surface area of the mast! Just when I had everything set for 40m it all blew down :sweat_smile: I thought I’d try 2m but that was just as challenging. I could hear the local lunch time net in Aberdeen but it was hard to get a word in edgeways and I’m not sure they could hear me anyway. So back to HF it was, this time with a short 5.5m vertical random wire for 20m. This I did manage to make some contacts with but, again, the wind blew me and the mast over mid-way through a QSO. By this time I was fed up, cold and wet, but had qualified the summit, so it was time to go! Also, there was no signal just behind the cairn…to add to the fun.

I generally took the same route back, without a compass, or device with a compass, it would be impossible to know which way to go. At one point on the way back it was so windy I could lean into the wind and it would hold me up! But I was soon back at The Sneck and heading down, and it wasn’t long before the conditions were more pleasant again. The weather wasn’t quite so nice down in the valley on the way back, but much nicer than on the summits. Found my bike, generally took the same route back, and was pleased to arrive back at the car to drive home.

A big day out for me, 38 km or so round trip…and did I mention it was windy? :leaves:

10 Likes

Great report. I’ve done a summit in Scotland where I could only approach the summit cairn on hands and knees and thought that was challenging. You had snow and clouds as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Alex for a great report with terrific photos. Well done on your activation.

Cheers :tumbler_glass:
Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Well done Alex!

004 is “a bit” devoid of summit shelter. :grimacing:. I had more snow but less wind.
Your route avoids the river crossing which I got wet feet at.:+1:

Alan

2 Likes

You’re not fat enough! Sometimes being lardy like me has its advantages :slight_smile:

Amazing difference to my WX up 40km North of Ullapool. There was some snow on the bigger hills as I arrived, Beinn Dearg, An Teallach etc. had a snow from 800m up. But the wind changed to come from the SOuth and them temps rose up a lot. It was almost T-shirt weather at c. 800m when the wind dropped but it was only gentle gusts.

3 Likes

Two Munros I suspected I’d never get Completes on, then like buses, two come at once! In the past month:
Complete and S2S Ben Avon @MM0VPM
Complete Beinn a’Bhuird @MM0VPM
S2S Ben Avon @GM5ALX

Can I give you two a list of the remaining GM/ES tops I need?

3 Likes

That’s part of the fun :grin:
When my nephew and I did that in “summer” we just slooshed through. Cooled the feet (n)icely.

1 Like

Yes please, see if any remain within my capabilities

1 Like

39 left to chase (ones without a blue tick). Posted from my phone, so apologies if they come out in the wrong order.

I’ve only being doing this for 3.5 years. Thankfully with more like-minded idiots up my way, I’ve been able to tick them off rapidly. Loads more summits up our way getting qualified on 2m as well as a result.

2 Likes

Many thanks for the super report and photos. I felt quite chilly sat reading it. Nice to see the weather is winding itself up in readiness for my visit to Scotland in a couple of weeks. I’ll bring the icing on the cake. :grinning:

I listened out for you on 40m, but heard nothing… not sure whether your antenna was up or down at the time, but I did monitor for quite a while. Might just have been timing, but I couldn’t hear Andy FMF either so possibly conditions played a part.

73, Gerald

2 Likes

It’s more of a summer shelter!

Very different weather! I think Monday was clear skies and sun here, although still cold. I’m grateful for the warming, as it meant no ice at least.

I’ve still got about 60 GM/ES to do, so I’m sure some are on your list!

It was more down than up! It was a case of holding everything down and being ready to log at the same time, but as soon as I put out my spot, the guy came out, the wire blew up, wrapped itself around the mast and then all came off the end! This was about the 3rd attempt to get the slope L setup, so I switched to the vertical and so never returned to 40m.

4 Likes

Great adventure and report. Two very big and remote hills.

25+ years ago I camped below the Sneck to do both Munros and all their Tops, I had similar weather in May!

Scotlands mountains have always been prone to upland gales, but I’m sure it’s getting more frequent.

If you only chase and never activate you don’t know what “fun” you are missing :rofl:
Seriously, when Activators suddenly disappear or can’t hear you, it’s often the weather at their end.

1 Like

Right up until the very top of the sneck the wind was minimal and I’d thought perhaps the forecast was wrong. It was certainly sheltered, and can see it being a good camping spot.

There were a lot of chasers, and I felt bad for giving up but there we go. I’ll bring some tape next time!

1 Like

Quite a few im my neck of the woods (and two I can see from home). Unlikely to try the low numbers but I need ES-088 to complete all ES (after the summit was moved by a smidgen :smiling_face_with_tear:). Will see what I can do for you

2 Likes

We’ll have to bear that on mind. @GM5ALX is threatening to do that and Cullardoch GM/ES-015 soon. I might tag along and activate the opposite summit to him and nab two completes.

1 Like

Local like-minded idiots of very useful :wink:

We now have 3 such like minded SOTA idiots in my local radio club, me and Alan MM0VPM and Andy MM7MOX. After a club meeting we can have a chat about plans and consider arranging complete chasing etc. Though I think it may degenerate into me and Mr. MOX trying to sneak some extra anvils into Alan’s bag :slight_smile:

There are some other SOTA activators/chasers in the area but they don’t come to the club so regularly as we three do.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good idea! According to my spreadsheet :wink:I can even do those two on a school drop off day. Assuming I don’t spend 90 minutes on the summit like I did on ES-004.

1 Like

What a great report @GM5ALX, two absolute beasts of a hill, with a tough old cycle up to the fairy Glen. Brought back memories !

Congratulations on the 2m East Coast to mull QSO with Fraser. I had a similar QSO on Ben More GM/SI-003 with @M6BWA and it ranks as one of my most favourite ! Isn’t it fantastic when you 2m DX like that in the highlands !

This took a bit of finding, a good 30minutes out your day when I was on Ben Avon - But well worth a visit for a brew ! One of the most unique Bothy’s, allthough my favourite has to be the Mangersta Bothy on Lewis.

3 Likes