A very good day for points

A record for me ,133 chaser points today,inc 10 uniques, a big TNX to all the activators out there today,a few were lost because of rtty + ea contest,also band condx,73de
Geoff
G4CPA.

Have to agree with you Geoff. I collected 108 chaser points today, despite the RTTY and CW contest QRM.

Peter

In reply to ON3WAB:
Hey you guys.
Over 100 points in a day, could be 1000 points in ten days and super sloth in 100 days or just over three months. I realise that Chris GM4FAM did it in 9 months and Mike GW0DSP looks set for super sloth in under 10 months (is anyone else faster than these two?) but getting it down to under 4 months and the MT will need to think up a new award scheme!!! :wink:

In reply to G4CPA:

A record for me

Not bad for me either, I think it’s the 1st time I’ve ever got 14 activator points in one day. And no Winter Bonuses!

Good to work you from both summits Geoff.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0CQK:

In reply to ON3WAB:
Hey you guys.
Over 100 points in a day, could be 1000 points in ten days and super
sloth in 100 days or just over three months. I realise that Chris
GM4FAM did it in 9 months and Mike GW0DSP looks set for super sloth in
under 10 months (is anyone else faster than these two?) but getting it
down to under 4 months and the MT will need to think up a new award
scheme!!! :wink:

These two seem in a league of their own Jim ,unfortunatly it now Seems sota is not competetive enough for some ops and they see the need to manipulate the data base to their own ends. i personaly see this as a backward step for sota. Is this the begining of the end, it seems lately that some cannot resist the urge to mess with statistics for what ever reasons .

73 Barry

In reply to M3PXW:

is not competetive enough

From the opening page of the database:

“SOTA is not inherently a competitive activity, it’s about individual aspirations and working towards a goal at your own pace.”

From Wikipedia:

"Lies, damned lies and statistics.

This well-known saying is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the U.S. by Mark Twain: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. The semi-ironic statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, and succinctly describes how even accurate statistics can be used to bolster inaccurate arguments."

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M3PXW:

I’m not sure what you mean Barry. People are simply submitting their chaser claims to the Database, and in some case racking up lots of points. What is wrong with that? I wouldn’t call it ‘manipulating the database’ at all.

Re the statistics, I presented them for fun and interest, and made it clear that there were different approaches to calculating them, and interpreting them. Which is obvious of course; my last model would predict GM4FAM as being leading chaser in the year 3000!

In reply to G4CPA:
Only managed 2 chaser points today with Simon M1AAV/P on Melbreak LD-036, When i was on LD-007 Fairfield, I did manage to do LD-022 Seat Sandal as well, It did seem to be shy for chasers this morning, or was i was a little bit to early for every one, they must have still been in bed. Just 4 and run.
The wind on St Sunday Crag was blowing like mad, So decided to miss this one and do it another day, like i always say the summits are not going any where. So we did some geocaches on the way down and back to Bolton.
Just up loaded some photo’s from the expidition on Flicker.com follow the link
Steven Brown | Flickr
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:
The decision to abort/cancel can be a difficult one to make. But usually the correct one! Returning to a hill to finally master it at the 2nd or 3rd attempt has its own satisfaction anyway, so you will enjoy your return (as I did when conquering Yr Aran GW/NW-019 in 2005 after being defeated by it in 2003).

In reply to 2E0HJD:
You’ve lost me completely Mick!

Tom