A top band evening heads up - GB23YOTA on 160m - REPORT ADDED

Hi all, I’m not to sure if your aware, but this month is YOTA month which stands for ‘Youngsters on the air’. So, to make things more interesting (who likes it easy) and instead of working from a nice warm shack, I will be supervising Jared @2E0JFJ and Christian @MW0OMK from the SOTA summit of ‘Stingwern HillGW/MW-030 tomorrow evening Thursday 21st December.

Jared and Chris will be operating using the call-sign GB23YOTA on 80m to begin with and then finish off on top band, 160m. We plan to be on summit for approximately 20:30 until 23:30 UTC, or there abouts. We will spot on every frequency we call out on, and will also put a message in the normal groups.

Please see if you can call in and support both youngsters calling out on the air - especially top band :slight_smile:

Thank you very much to everyone in advance, and we look forward to working you tomorrow evening.

73, Ben GW4BML, Jared 2E0JFJ and Christian MW0OMK

6 Likes

Best of luck erecting your antennas in Storm Pia.

3 Likes

There going to run out of names soon!

Not looking bad for this area:

1 Like

Great work in supporting the very important YOTA initiative. Excellent stuff, but with 55mph+ gales forecast here tomorrow I sadly have no chance of getting my top-band wires up in time to take part. No matter, good luck to the three of you for a successful activation. Stay safe. Vy 73 Mike

3 Likes

They aren’t. Pia was named by the Danish met office. UK/Ireland/Netherlands have only got to Fergus.

1 Like

It was just a pun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Mike - fingers crossed we won’t have the bad wind. The summit does have one side where you can shade behind trees, the only downfall is, its steep :rofl: so you have to have good balance to activate from it. We’ll miss you calling in, but thank you for the luck!

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

73, Ben
GW4BML

2 Likes

Don’t eat too many Welsh cakes.

Hope you manage to avoid the sheep droppings… you should be okay at this time of year!

(It’s funny what you remember about certain summits… :rofl: )

2 Likes

Does Jared not want the activator points for himself? Would he not be better operating under his own 2(W)0 call so that he can claim the activator points for himself?

2 Likes

I didn’t think it mattered what callsign he uses, so long as he operates within the restrictions of his (intermediate) licence? The database allows you to enter the callsign used for that activation

1 Like

Sense of humour is optional on this reflector.

7 Likes

Indeed. But I like to educate too.

Im not too sure without reading the rules can he use the GB23YOTA callsign submitting his log, nevertheless, we are on summit for a good 3 hours, so he should be able to grab 4 itl using 2W0JFJ :+1: thanks for the heads up though Tom.

73, Ben
GW4BML

1 Like

That’s true Gerald, there is certain things that remind you of certain summits :grinning: living where I do, I’m used to getting the odd sheep muck on the boots :rofl: would be good to get you itl if your about.

73, Ben
GW4BML

1 Like

Best of luck Ben. It’ll give your companions a great experience, valuable memories. You may also be starting a new category; SBOTA.

Storm Beaters on the air😉

1 Like

I am - he can’t. Hence my post.

3.7.1 Criteria for a valid Expedition
For an expedition to be considered valid, the following criteria must be met:

1. Participants shall be licensed to communicate on the amateur band in use. All stations
must operate according to the limitations and privileges of their own license (power,
emission mode, frequency or any other limitation). Operation that takes advantage of
extra privileges, for example higher power or use of a restricted band segment, conferred by supervision under a licensee holding a higher license class, is forbidden.

The call sign used shall be one the operator is authorized to use individually, without
supervision. Note that this restricts the use by a holder of a lower class of license of
special call signs (for example club, special event or contest call signs) where such use
would require supervision under a holder of a higher-class licensee.

2 Likes

Indeed - which does not extend as far as operating a GB (or any Full licence call) under your own supervision.

1 Like

Thanks @M1EYP Tom, you’ve done my tonight’s homework, so now I can have time for a cuppa before leaving :grinning:

Try and work us if you can :+1:

73, Ben
GW4BML

1 Like

Thanks Iolo @MW7IOL - it’s pretty damn windy here in MW this morning, hoping it’ll pass for this evening, or we may end up with a shelter in the air :rofl:

Take care and 73,

Ben
GW4BML