A special SOTA Mountain Goat for Edwin HB9ZAP

Dear all

Today we have a special milestone to recognize: Edwin, HB9ZAP, has got his 2nd SOTA mountain goat two days ago on August 30 on Mt. Rinderberg in the HB/BE region. That alone may not be so special. But Edwin was born in 1932, so he is 90 years old!

I have met Edwin twice during SOTA activations. On HB9SOTA’s 2020 fall hike, I noticed a hiker with a dog far ahead of me ascending at a steady pace across the meadows to the summit. Since this shadow was carrying a backpack with radio equipment, it could only be Edwin. And so it was.

Edwin HB9ZAP (left) with his equipment incl. dachshund on Mt. Tschugga HB/SG-048.

At our first encounter a few months earlier, he had almost scared me! I was activating on Horst between St-Gallen and Appenzell, sunk deeply in my headphones, when suddenly an older gentleman stood in front of me and introduced himself: Edwin, HB9ZAP, together with a roughhair dachshund. The dog’s name is “Hexe” (witch – his assistant and bodyguard), and Horst is their local mountain. Edwin had seen my alert in the Sotawatch. I enjoyed this talk.

Edwin @HB9ZAP on HB/AR-005 during our S2S contact “in person”.

Edwin is a honorary member of our Swiss club HB9SOTA. He oversees 16 years participating in SOTA in 2022 and was chairman from 2007 to 2014 and thus the predecessor of Jürg, HB9BIN.

As one’s personal radius decreases with age and one becomes a bit tamer, each summit is now a win. Edwin, congratulations on your great success! No one can copy/paste that so easily. Keep your agility, your radius and your joy of life, even if life is sometimes a bit more tedious for you!

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

55 Likes

Wow congrats,thats quite a story!

3 Likes

Ganz herzliche Gratulation Edwin auch von Carine und mir zu Deinen noch immer grossartigen Aktivitäten in Deinem hohen Alter :nerd_face: :nerd_face: Bleib gesund und so aktiv wie du bist :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover: Wir freuen uns darauf, Dich bald wieder einmal in einem S2S zu treffen :grin: :grin:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

3 Likes

Congratulation Edwin!
73 Fabio

2 Likes

Congratulations Edwin!
Nick G4OOE

2 Likes

Very great goal Edwin! Congratulations! Your success is a big stimulation for me, 12 years younger!
Claudio IX1IHR

2 Likes

Super Sache…Mach weiter so… Wir Gratulieren dir für die tolle Leistung Jean-Pierre und Anita HB9HBV und HB9HBU

2 Likes

Congratulations :goat: :goat:!

Ich gratuliere dir herzlich Edwin @HB9ZAP und wünsche noch viel Gesundheit und Spaß an der gemeinsamen Funk und Bergbegeisterung.

73 de Joe

2 Likes

ich habe es immer vermutet … hier kommt der lebende Beweis!

SOTA hält jung!

Herzlichen Glückwunsch Edwin

73 Armin

4 Likes

I’m delighted to be able to congratulate Edwin on his second MG especially as he has a few turns on the coil now.

Edwin invited me to stay with him after the FN rally in 2013. He made so welcome and we activated Säntis HB/AI-001 together. Back in 2013 we also climbed up a local summit to Edwin’s QTH, just for a walk and drink at the cafe at the top. I was amused to see we had climbed a mountain taller than the UK’s highest mountain, Ben Nevis and the WX was delightful. On top of that Edwin at 82 or so and his dog, a dachshund, both beat me to the summit!

Many congratulations Edwin.

6 Likes

MG hope and inspiration for us all… :rofl: Congratulations Edwin. Delighted to have you in my logbook twice in August. 73. Mike

3 Likes

Hallo Edwin

Herzliche Gratulation zu deiner 2. Bergziege ! Ich wünsche dir weiterhin alles Gute, gute Gesundheit und weiterhin viel Zufriedenheit bei unserem Hobby auf den Bergen.
Vy73 de Robert, HB9OME

2 Likes

many congratulations edwin happy to have worked you on your special day ,
you are truly a sota hero and very much an insperation to others , ray

3 Likes

Hi, very, very well done, congrats Edwin.

2 Likes

Incredible and I hope we are all activating at 90.

Paul

2 Likes

This is a great achievement and we can all only hope that we will be able to follow this role model. :clap: :clap: :clap:
For Edwin @HB9ZAP I keep my fingers crossed that he can continue his (SOTA) activities as long as he likes in good shape.

73 de Peter, DM7KN

3 Likes

Dear Edwin,

Congratulations on your 2nd goat!

I really enjoyed our joint activation last year and the many interesting conversations we’ve had.

You’re the model for all of us!
Keep on going and have fun!

73 Stephan

6 Likes

Well done Edwin what a grand achievement. Always a pleasure to work you over the years. Stay safe and healthy. 73 Don G0RQL.

2 Likes

Lieber Edwin,

herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Deiner zweiten Geiss! Ich wünsche Dir noch viele schöne Aktivierungen.

73 Jens HB9EKO

2 Likes

Lieber Edwin - auch von mir die besten Glückwünsche und ich wünsche dir weitere schöne SOTA Touren ! Alles Gute.

73 de Bruno HB9CBR

2 Likes