A revised list of GM "Grahams"

Are US maps metric or US customary? I would think the availability of mapping determines what is sensible for the units used.

Although we have a half-arsed approach to metrication in the UK at least we do use metric a lot of the time unlike the US, who don’t even use proper imperial units (although bizarrely they still use British Thermal Units to rate boilers [furnaces] when we’ve used kW for years). I’ve also noticed there seems to be a lack of scales in US kitchens - recipes seem to use cups of flour instead of weighing which sounds like hard work to me.

One of my real pet hates is the use of feet when discussing antennas. Since the bands are defined in metres if you tell me an element is so many metres long I instantly know what fraction of a wavelength it is. Tell me in feet and I have to convert.

</RANT OVER>

1 Like

The forecast is good for Friday. I just need to decide whether to cycle or walk the 5 km approach track. I may cycle, which should leave more time to loop round to the south and try to find the nice Falls of Unich.

1 Like

I thought cycling to start of the hilly bit of the walk would be a good idea. i.e. from the parking at NO446 803 to NO395 804.

Gavin @gm0gav and Barry @gm4toe have done it and will have an opinion. Did Rod and Vicky do it recently @m6bwa?

1 Like

Fraser,
I say take your bike, it’s a nice track. Alternatively if you fancy a good walk why not cross country from Spittal of Glenmuick? I understand from a reliable source that route was a favourite of King Charles for a day shooting at Invermark estate.

73 Gavin
GM0GAV

1 Like

Gavin, you know me! I did contemplate an end to end taking in Ben Tirran GM/ES-016 at Glen Clova but thought against it!

1 Like

Interesting to read Mr. Dawson’s comments on the Pedantic mailing list.

" I am not seeking to prevent use of the term Grahams, merely to stop it being misrepresented."

2 Likes

Hi Colin

Just for your friend, I hear some folks saying there are more GW Grahams but the VK Andrews are bigger.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Better a Fiona than a Karen?

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

My thoughts about bicycles are well known (Devil & Hell figure) - in this case though, there is a very pleasant walk along the loch, an ascent up beside the waterfall and a descent by a further route.
I did it in summer though :innocent:

1 Like

I’ve tried searching for “Andrews” but can’t find anything. What is their history?

1 Like

If you work any VK SOTA activator or chaser and you do not know their name then just call them “Andrew” and you will probably be right :slight_smile:

RealName Callsign
Andrew VK2ONZ
Andrew Davis VK1DA
Andrew Moseley VK1AD
Andrew VK1MBE
Andrew Scott VK3BQ
Andrew Wilson VK3FIX
Andrew VK3MIX
Andrew Costigan VK3WO
Andrew Ryan VK3ARR
Andrew Geddes VK2MWP
Andrew VK3JBL