A dry day on Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan GM/WS-006

Sgurr nan CeathreamhnanGM/WS-006

It’s a big hill…

I kinda like this area of Scotland, it has some big hills on show without little hills in front of them, of course that means that they are a bit err, brutal, to climb for example A’Craileag GM/WS-014 starts at 200m and “just” walk about 4km to the summit at 1120m… easy…

Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan hides behind some other big lumps and so takes a bit of effort to get to whichever way you tackle it.
There is a hostel at it’s base, accessible by foot or bike. I had attempted this hill in April but was beaten by the weather - having reached top, it was apparent that the wind was too strong to sensibly try to set up an antenna, so it was turn around and get down then.

The past few weeks seem to have been windy in the north west region and unlike our cousins in baked, biscuit coloured England, we’ve had a bit of rain too…
However, the met office forecast suggested a day or so of less wind and maybe even dry, this Wednesday, not Tuesday or Thursday, just one day, so “we can be heroes, just for one day” .

Permission slip was issued (VERY generously as it overlapped Mrs VPM’s birthday!!) - hostel was booked, plots plotted and plans planned.

The drive north from the Scottish Borders overlapped with the GM/ES summit attempts and meetup - as the weather was grim, it was no surprise that folks were wanting back off hills quickly, however I manged to work Fraser @MM0EFI, Alex @GM5ALX and Andy @GM4LLD while I parked in a layby on the A9. That was nice.
What wasn’t nice was the amount of water falling from the sky and it became more worrisome as I got more into the hills and saw a great many streaks of white pouring down the hillsides!

I parked up and changed into full “wets” in the car, then set off. The walk in to the the hostel is 9km - it started raining after a few minutes, then poured all the way and the minimal path in the latter section was very “soggy” - as was I when I arrived. A few streams had to be crossed carefully and higher up the hill than I would have liked to find a narrower place. The warden recognised me from my previous visit as “the mad radio man” - apt description I suppose.

Next day dawned dry , light winds, slight cloud on summits… could the forecast be correct??

Off I set , no gentle walk before going up though, just up, then some more up…

There are a couple of lumps to be gone over on the route, but after what seemed like forever, I was at the summit.
The actual summit is about the same size as my kitchen table, but the drops of all the sides are a bit more significant.
I had my Slim Jim for 2m , pole wedged in rocks so couple of contacts there, then HF.
I set up the aliexpress red-blob-vertical slightly to the west of the top and had a good run, thanks to all the chasers of this infrequently activated summit, including a German visitor who was mobile towards the Skye Bridge on 2m also later. No pics from there - too busy staying upright and keeping gear from slithering into the abyss.

Once I’d activated, I “toddled over” to the west summit as the sun was now out and it was a very pleasant day, no wind! The two summits are very different, the east at 1151m is broken rock , small and lumpy, the west is a nice rounded hill albeit lower and the drop between too big for it to be in the activation zone. They are separated by a ridge which seemed to be about 1m wide with BIG drops either side, of course that’s an exaggeration, it must really be 2m wide… There is also a rock face at the end of it as a last protection to the west summit. I vaguely remembered something in the guide book about “can be tackled direct or turned on the right (north)” - well the non-direttissma version has very recently lost some of it’s rock and no doubt holds, so wasn’t very pleasant at all - however, got there and proceed to sunbathe and have a wee nap before setting off back down. Which of course meant all the “Oh my!” bits had to be done in reverse.

On reaching the bealach at 700 ish m, I decided it would be silly to not “bag” An Socath a Munro, so left the rucksack and nipped up and down in about 45 minutes.
Thereafter it was back down to the hostel.
The walk out was much more pleasant and the rain held off.

Here are some pics taken from the west summit.


East summit on the right with the “interesting” ridge curving down and round to the right.

To the left of the glimpse of Loch Cluanie (centre of picture) , A’Chralaig GM/WS-014, Mullach Fraoch-choire GM/WS-018 and Sgurr nan Conbhairean GM/WS-016 as you work left, then to the right Ciste Dhubh GM/WS-070 closest with Am Bathach [GM/WS-170] beyond it.
Then hills as far as your eyes can see!!

Thanks for getting this far.

Alan

15 Likes

When I spoke to you from Mount Blair, you were keeping your cards close to your chest!

Well done for activating your “big hill”. :blush:

1 Like

Well done on even starting that trip. Walking-on in the rain is miserable but easy to do. Getting out of the car in the rain is infinitely more difficult! Hope the hostel had a drying room …

As I retorted to a friend, having followed their recommending ridgeline route (from Scamper Torrent to Tarpot Creek in ZL3):

‘A good ridgeline route should be wide enough to fit both boots on - at the same time!’

2 Likes

I’m well impressed as there’s a decent walk in to the hostel before you even start the hill! I was looking on Sotl,as and am so impressed at the lack of “civilisation” around the Mullardoch/Affric area. By civilisation I mean places I could drive and park, they all look a long way from anywhere.

A big :+1: from me to people who activate these big boys.

1 Like

I walked in from the Affric side (ie from the East) last time, but found the hard track surface to be hard on the feet, Colwyn cycled in that route IIRC.

It’s not that I thought anyone else would be doing it, more that I wasn’t sure I would be!! :wink:

2 Likes

Good to make contact with you while you were up there, even if we were just a wee bit out of sync to get the S2S. Some really good proper hills out in that part of the country, so fair play for getting out there and even just getting to the bottom of the hill in the first place! The photos look pretty magic.

A description I’m sure any of us would be honoured to be bestowed with!

How do you find this on breezy summits? I’ve just picked one up - I’m still waiting on my QMX to appear, but I pre-emptively picked up one of these red blob setups, and I was a wee bit concerned about how wobbly the whip might get in a good hilltop hoolie.

1 Like

Yes 'twas a pity I had that extra cup of coffee in the morning ha ha - it would have been a memorable s2s, good to catch you at all though and thanks for the QSO!

Red blob, it bends somewhat alarmingly in a breeze and the side loading is such that the spike needs to be pretty well embeded. I had it setup on Ben Oss which had only thin “soil” and I was a bit concerned it would blow over in the typical hill breeze, I guess that guys could be used to assist but it would possibly be better to use a “sleeve/sock” about 30cm long that fit around 2.5m up (to spread the load on the elements) no idea what that would do to the output though.

I managed to pull the wee top hat out but amazingly found it so will see if I can refit and secure it better.

3 Likes

Well Done Alan, it’s a long way from anywhere! I cycled and it was horrible, walking and staying at hostel sounds the way to go.

73 Gavin

GM3GAV

2 Likes

Big hill. I’ve done it twice
Both pre licenced.
Hats off for adding in radio gear!

Great report.

3 Likes

I heard someone commenting that the cycle in was hard going although a young fella turned up looking quite chipper, he was well equipped with practically nothing though, it’d be different story with a few extra kg of radio “stuff”!
Sorry for no pre-alert though, you might have managed a complete …

A

2 Likes

I’ve only used mine twice in low wind conditions. I look on the M10 insert that is punch-crimped into the base of the antenna as a primary fail point. After that wind loading when extended could cause the tube to fold over. To try minimise that I made a lightweight guying ring that sits approx 1.3m above the base. I have no idea if this is enough but I’d like to think it gives the setup a fighting chance.

3 Likes

Epic adventure Alan, I’m sorry conditions didn’t allow our s2s on Wednesday.

Fantastic photos and I’m glad the weather window worked.

Andy

MM7MOX

1 Like

Thanks for the S2S. Yours was definitely bigger and harder than mine on this occasion :grin:

Thanks Denis

There are a few other big lumps up there for me to visit still.

I’m sure I will spend a good few hours plotting and planning where to go next!

Alan

1 Like

Aye, I’ve got access to a laser cutter at work, so I was thinking I might try measuring the width of it a couple of metres up and making something out of 3mm acrylic to attach a couple of bits of guy line on to and hopefully give it a wee bit of support. Probably the bigger question is whether or not I can actually remember how to use Adobe Illustrator enough to actually make something like this work…

1 Like

Nice one Alan @MM0VPM. It sure is a fine Munro, and glad you enjoyed it.

I came in via Mullerdoch,on my round doing the 12 munros over three days, and this was by far the highlight !

2 Likes

Now that’s a proper trip! one I’m toying with the logistics of :thinking:, along with about another 3 or 4 biggies, well what else to do when you can’t get out?

2 Likes