Sorry Jan (and others), I was on DL/ AM -176 (NOT AL-176). The Summit code was correct in my Alert but I messed it up when I self spotted in the sunlight from the mobile phone!
I did announce the summit as Rentschen several times, strange no one picked up on it. I wonder if it is possible for SOTAWatch to not display invalid summit codes, then I would possibly have realised I did something wrong!
By propagation today, you should not have been able to hear me Mike - more than 500Ks at that time of day on 80m is unusual to say the least. Perhaps it was aircraft reflection, but I thought that could only occur on VHF?
My tests of the antenna were inconclusive. Mike G6TUH and Herbert OE9HRV heard me, but when I heard a faint reply, I took the Ramsey amplifier out of circuit and put the antenna cable directly into the FT-817, Herbert was there with a strong signal, but when I then went back to him with 5w rather than 30w, I didn’t hear any more. On receive, the amplifier should pass the signal straight through which it appears to do OK on 40 & 20m but not on 80m - this will need some investigation. Perhaps I should have tested JUST the new antenna and not the extended amplifier at the same time, but I knew it would be difficult to get contacts on 80m at that time of day, so I thought the extra few watts would help.
More work to be done, but if the antenna was getting a signl down to Bregenz and across to the UK, it can’t be doing too badly. It is a remarkably short dipole, so I am surprised it has worked as well as it apparently has today. Just need to fix the RX switching in the amp.