7Ah or 2.3Ah Battery for FT817

What’s the general consensus ?? how much operating time do you get out of a 2.3Ah SLAB … is it worth the extra weight to carry a 7Ah SLAB instead ?
I usually carry my 7Ah … but I’m thinking I can get away with the smaller battery and weight.

Andrew
K1YMI

In reply to KC2EUS:

There is no general consensus on this one. I have never used a SLAB with 817ND for my SOTA activations. Always the FNB-85 Ni-MH battery pack that comes with the radio. There might be other reasons for a SLAB, but IMO it is not needed for CW QRP SOTA.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to KC2EUS:

Andrew a 7AH SLAB is good for 2 hours operating my ft857 at full output (100w) - draw your own conclusions for the ft817 requirements.

1 Like

In reply to KC2EUS:

FT-817 with a 2.3Ah slab and maybe the internal batteries will keep you going for more hours than you would probably want to remain on a summit. Having said that mine is 3.3Ah. If I use the FT857 then I take two 7Ah Slabs.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

My experience:
I threw my 7 Ah SLAB and replaced them with 5 Ah LiPo akupack. Weight is only 412 grams (0.9 lb), it lasts nearly the same.
I use them to their FT857, but the FT817 would be ideal.

73! Petr

In reply to OK1FFU:

SLABs are for wimps!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/3996949259/

I’ve ditched Lead in favour of Lithium but a 2.3Ah SLAB will power an 817 on CW/SSB for a long time. I’ve had 3 or 4 activations out of my old 2.8Ah SLAB before it was flat.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to KC2EUS:

Hi Andrew!

I have an 817ND and two SLABs … one is 3.3 Ah and the other is 9 Ah, which is the same size and weight as a 7 Ah SLAB. On intensive CW summit activations running 5 watts, the 3.3 Ah battery - when fully charged - lasts for about 4 hours. The 9 Ah battery lasts for more than twice that time (I have never completely exhausted it before re-charging).

I would say the capacity of a 2.3 Ah SLAB would be plenty for a typical single-summit activation. However if you want to activate more than one summit in the day, you may be better off with the 7 Ah SLAB. That’s my 2c-worth … hi.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to MM0FMF:
That picture reminds me of when I was a teenager and I’d not discovered sealed batteries… I used to climb the Ochil Hills carring an old motorcycle battery. It was a real bummer when you slipped and got the acid on your Jeans…lol
I have been thinking about building one of the LiPo batteries … but for now I think I’ll try my luck next weekend with the 2.3Ah and save the weight.

Andrew
K1YMI – GM1YMI

Hello Dear SOTA Friends.
I’m using a external battery: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tZT-B8c5g3lJkrOJ5rT3Fw?feat=directlink
External battery: I worked 10 SOTA expedition without recharging it.
Fnb85 battery: Only one SOTA but weight is a little bit light.

73 QRO
Roger

In reply to KC2EUS:

Hi Andrew,

I have used several times a 12 V 3.4 Amps Hr SLAB. This SLAB worked several hours on the FT817 ND ( 5 W power output) without problems.
Sri … with a 2.3 Amps Hr SLAB I have no experience.

Take a look on the next video.

Luc ON6DSL

i used an 7amps slab, but it was too heavy. so i decided to purchase a 4.5amps slab and i tested it on my last sota-expedition (2 sota, 80 qso’s).

it worked great with my ic-703 and 10watts of output power. the best thing … it’s almost 1 kg lighter than the other slab.

vy73 de martin
http://www.oe5reo.at

I am just importing a battery, well 1000 of them for a contract I have won, its a Li-Pro 12000 mAh, yes 12000mAh @ 6,9,12,14,16,19 volts and it has built in solar panels for charging in 6-12 hours and it is 6" x 4" x 1" and weights 750grams. I never seen such a small battery pack with so much power.

I can see that being quite handy on the mountains.

In reply to M0KPO:

How big and how heavy are the solar panels Steve?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Its all one unit, one pannel is fixed the other slides out from the main battery housing, closed down as I said its about 6x4x1", open its about 6x8x1. Weight is less than 0.8kg for the whole unit, batt, panel etc.
It is realy quite clever, I have two samples being made for testing and then if okay I will bring over a 1000 units three customers have placed an order subject to tests. It can power two devices at two diferent voltages at the same time and also power a USB device at the same time. All cables etc are included. It even has a built in 5 x LED torch.

In reply to M0KPO:

that sounds like a good battery for sota. some photos (if already available) of that unit would be interesting.

please keep us updated …

In reply to M0KPO:
This almost sounds to good to be true and if true … THE solution for SOTA … please keep us informed. Do you realy think 1000 pcs is enough :wink:
I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that the testresults will be positive.
73’s de PD2PC Patrick

In reply to M0KPO:

Thanks Steve. It sounds intriguing. The solar panel sounds very efficient for the size. I think you’ll have a very attentive audience for any info you post about the units. :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

During my last 2 SOTA tour I did 61 QSO with only the FNB85 pack with 500 mWatts. Then it works well.
73 QRO
Roger

In reply to F5LKW:

Hello Dear SOTA Friends.
I’m using a external battery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tZT-B8c5g3lJkrOJ5rT3Fw?feat=directlink
External battery: I worked 10 SOTA expedition without recharging it.
Fnb85 battery: Only one SOTA but weight is a little bit light.

73 QRO
Roger

In reply to MM6ECO:
Hello,

I just received my 12000mAH battery with solar panel, still do not test it at any summit and do not test how long will power my FT-817 but what I saw was not good for my small QRP radios KX1 - PFR3 or HB-1 this radios takes just a few mA at RX and the electronic of the battery do not detect the radios so, after 1 or 2 minutes the battery disconnect automatically, with the FT-817 conected at 12V its ok and working good.

Its good becouse its posible to conet a netbook or PDA at same time that radio, has diferents outputs and can be charged with included power supply too, has all cables included.

I will test this weekend and will write a report.

Esteve - EB3EPR