I see there is a sota DH7FK/P on DM/HE-053 Operating on said freq 7200.
Can’t work him as respect for being out of band 40m.

But hats off to the UK operators heard no one heard calling in.

Does the European band differ slightly to the UK band I know the US band goes to 7300, that be nice if we could have that too.

Karl

They seems to have moved to 7.191 (according to the spots) but you would probably be ok on 7.200 as it’s LSB and all your radiated RF should be 300Hz - 3KHz down from the Carrier frequency.

Stewart G0LGS

Correct,Stewart.That’s the suppressed carrier frequency. Transmitting on LSB, you’d be OK. USB would put you out of band.

Thanks for that info gents

Just making sure one does NOT go out of band.
Did seem quiet from the UK chasers till he moved down band.

But thanks again

Just been listening to two Spanish stations one very strong to me and can hear one 4kz UP from 7191 till 7195 and the other 2kz up yet there in LSB. Hence why i won’t op on or too near 7200 JUST in case my bandwidth is more than it should be even with self control on the ALC monitor.

Prevention is better than cure

Karl

They don’t understand what LSB means either Karl.

It isn’t your bandwidth that could be a problem. On LSB all of the radiated energy should be below the suppressed carrier frequency unless your rig is very badly aligned. What could become a problem if you operate very near to the band edge is the stability and accuracy of the carrier frequency, if it’s offset or drifting then you could end up out of band.

Note, this is one of those cases where you need to make sure you are using exactly the right word when describing the situation.

But, good for you for thinking about it, now, maybe it’s time to think about doing the Intermediate :wink:

73, Colin

Hi Colin

Interesting stuff. and quite understand the wandering of an carrier from a unstable rig so glad had mine checked out other year by very good local chap. Radio certainly seemed better afterwards. Mind does wander 1kz at times but keep close eye on the read out LED.

But surely if your not controlling your modulation say with an non standard mike to stick with in the lower part of the as in LSB and carrier its expands above the freq to which you are using and if not into USB part of the carrier as QRM.

I have been floating around 40m to day and even The Belgium Sota was heard 2kz above his freq mind you was strong signal from him. But do note not clearly as on freq but still heard.

I will be keeping eye out for an local Inter course would like to go for it and hopefully this summer time may be one of the local clubs do one.

Mind you mine is an early 80’s Trio 120V with stand mike and again will not take risk operating next to the border as so to speak. But look forwards to day get me pennies together and get hold of a nice FT450D I will be seeking one day soon.

These 120v good rigs but bit of a noise box.

Again gent thanks for the input on this one

Karl

Assuming opposite sideband rejection is about 50dB then Karls out-of-band transmission would be 0.035 mW plus whatever the noise sideband amounts to. For practical purposes this can be ignored. Never the less, Karl is conforming with good practise by observing a guard band.

Brian

PS Karl, you heard the ON SOTA station 2 kHz above his frequency because the skirt selectivity of your receiver is wider than 2 kHz, what you heard was the difference between your receiver filter and a perfect IF filter.

Brian

Thank you that prob is the case being an older radio hence being bit of noise box and the newer one will certainly improve this. For time mine was created and 30 years on big changes and improvements in radios.

Karl

Whilst on the subject of “out of band” transmissions, there has been a recent upsurge of “out of band” activity by UK stations in the 60m (5 MHz) part of the spectrum. This has come about because the WRC15 band, 5351.5 - 5366.5 kHz has recently been released to stations in a number of countries, including Spain and Belgium, but NOT including the UK. It can be very tempting to call DX stations in this sub-band, but only two small parts of the band are within the UK frequency allocations. One needs to be very careful about choice of frequency, and to bear in mind that the upper sideband can extend up to 3 kHz above the indicated dial frequency.

Yesterday evening between 1930 and 2130 UTC, I heard no fewer than five UK stations transmitting “out of band” on 60m in their attempts to work continental European stations.

Walt (G3NYY)

P.S. I know this won’t affect you, Karl.
:smile:

Hi Karl

Nope. Across Europe 40 m band is 7000-7200 (ITU Region 1). This includes UK, of course.

73 de Pedro