6m SOTA Fun Evening - THURSDAY NIGHT!

Hi Andy,
Like you, I saw Éric F5JKK graphs for the first time when he posted them some few weeks or months ago. I didn’t record that page URL, but I’m going to do it now. I don’t know if I’ll get to check it, but I’ll try. I admit that, despite I know there is so much info about everything on so many good sites on the internet, I am a bit old fashioned and keep working on the bands the old style and also following my own smell sense or instinct built after nearly 40 years in the hobby.
I’ll try to have a go in that web site to learn what it can offer and how to use it.
Thank you!

Guru

I could copy you on neither FT8 nor CW from Sheffield last night, but that will be because I don’t have a proper antenna for 6m at home, so was relying on my EFHW cut for 40m. It presents an SWR of about 2:1 on the band and I have worked a few QRO stations using it during previous UKACs. It is pretty deaf when it comes to reception, however, and I don’t expect you were running much power.

I still intend to be on G/SP-002 for this evening’s contest if I can get away from work early enough.

1 Like

Looks a decent and dry enough evening over much of the UK tonight. Any more SOTA portables going to give 6m Fun Evening a try?

Bands just closed to g-land. Sri no s2s

They’re coming thick and fast this week. This one is well worth highlighting and promoting, as the weather is fantastic (I was operating in a T-shirt until 9.30pm BST last night), it’s a good time of the year for 6m, and people are reporting good DX regularly this week.

SOTA Fun Evening - Thursday 14th July 2022 - 1900-2130z - 8pm to 10.30pm BST.

Again, this coincides with the RSGB UK Activity Contest, so there is the guarantee of plenty of activity, both in the UK and across Europe. I have added my alert - any more SOTA stations giving it a go?

1 Like

I’ll see how I’m feeling and might nip out for an hour or so. Busy elsewhere until 7pm tomorrow.
I only have a vertical dipole for 6m.

I am sure you meant 2020, not 2002! Once you have edited the post, I’ll delete this message…

edit: Thanks to Richard for pointing out that I actually meant 2022!

I am sure you meant 2022.

Indeed!!! Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll be out, Tom. However, due to the lack of decent SOTA summits in a reasonable distance from my DM/TH shack, I can only try to chase you. May the sporadic be with us!

Ahoi
Pom

2 Likes

So far, it looks like we will have:

@M1EYP/P on G/SP-015
@G4YSS/P on G/NP-009
@MW0PJE/P on ? (possibly)

Any more takers? It’s set to be a lovely evening.

2 Likes

I didn’t go out but set up at home for a bit. I had 4 QSOs in an hour.
I heard you a few times Tom but you didn’t hear my replies - and you either QSYd or disappeared into the S7 noise I have at home.
I could see GW8REQ up on the hill across the way from me and he was having much more success than me!

2 Likes

Hi Tom,
Many thanks for the S2S last evening SP15/ NP9 (and also the one from NP8 on the 3rd). 6m conditions seemed quite poor with many silent gaps in the band and unlike yourself, I didn’t quite make 30 - most of those to CQ’s. You did well!

Top Band was ‘saved’ by G4OBK Phil with just the one (CW) QSO and I made 4 contacts on 2m-FM early this morning before a good soaking on the way down at 9am. Happy days but glad I didn’t take the dog. He wouldn’t have liked it much.

The place now decorated with wet tentage and clothing, 73, John

2 Likes