6M antenna choice

Hello All,
What are we all using as a 6m antenna?
I have just modified my link dipole to add 6m, and also built a flowerpot derivative following the instructions here VK1NAM
I added 38mm to the published length, and using a 6m pole (5m usable length) without adjustment the MFJ says 1.45:1 @ 50.313MHz, it is also around the same at 50.100, and less in the FM section. Light weight and ready to go, just need to get out to try it.
I would like to build a moxon at some time, but cannot find a STL for a big enough spider to print - with the current lockdown, maybe a good time to learn!
Tim
G4YTD

Hi

I used one of these for SOTA, it coils up to go in the rucksack and I used part of the fishing pole as the crosspiece.

https://sites.google.com/site/gw7aav2/50mhzdeltaloop

73 de

Andrew
G4VFL

4 Likes

Not activator friendly, but I had a 6 ele cushcraft Boomer. Worked VK lots of times when the sun was working. I took it off the mast to renovate it and ended up scrapping it :sob::sob::sob:.

1 Like

Andrew,
Similar to what I use, though mine is apex up, fed at bottom corner, balun is same construction. I used a PVC cross piece on the spreader and it slides right over the mast with the apex attached to the eyelet at the top of the mast, the spreaders are fiberglass from a fishing pole as the pole was not needed and lighter than PVC.
Cheers & 73,
Howard KE6MAK

2 Likes

For 2m I use a foldable dipole - bear with me! Loosen a couple of wing nuts and the elements fold against the short boom so it is robust but easy to carry. For 6m I have a couple of lengths of stiff wire terminated in crocodile clips, which clip onto the ends of the 2m dipole and resonate it on 6m. The wires droop a little but not enough to impair the performance. It is a rough-and-ready arrangement but I have worked all over Europe with it and my 817, you don’t need much when the Es signals are booming in!.

I have a 6m segment on a linked dipole. Its works for local FM contacts, never trried it on any sort of DX use. I also have a seperate single band 6m double bozooka from Radiowavz which I have never used for SOTA, but I’m sure it would work.

Thanks Andrew,
This could be todays project :slight_smile:
Cheers
Tim

That would work Steve, bit of a haul to get it to the summit though…
Back in the 80s, friend and I took a 3 ele 10m beam up Hellvellyn, complete with car battery on a frame rucksack, and a 3 section aluminium pole in a fishing rod bag. 6 hours from the car park to get up, never again!
Thx
Tim
G4YTD

Very true Brian, when its on, 6m is on. Worked Italy from a roll of solder with a solder strand counterpoise on my bench last year from work. I have links on the dipole for 6, but the match is not that good, so decided to make a dedicated 6m antenna.
Tim

In July 2009 I made several contacts accross Europe and I even had a DX QSO with Jim V29JKV in Antigua & Barbuda Is. with a 5/8 wave GP having 4 radials on the ground and my FT-817ND at 5W.
I can’t find the original picture, so let me show you the eQSL I prepared at that time to confirm my 6m portable activity at that time.
imagen

Guru

2 Likes

Nice work Guru!
6m is one of my favourite bands.
White noise to DX and back in 30 seconds.
Currently monitoring .313 FT8 and .280 MSK144 whilst working from home.
Stay safe
Tim
G4YTD

1 Like

interesting post. Three years ago I made a delta loop for 6 meters bands and It is good choice to use in mountain, because is a simple deploy and lightweight and compact to carry in the backpack.

The performance is really good.

1 Like

Built a Flower pot for 6 Meters today, got the SWR low on all sections of the band. Had a local QSO on Simplex too. Took all day to make it but its a band Ive not used before. Just got to wait till we can go out on the hills again!

1 Like

I built one yesterday Jon, Only used from the garden with 2w of FT8, had an MS contact with EA8 (took 15 mins to complete). Background noise was only 1s point, happy with that…
Tim
G4YTD

1 Like

Nice work. 6m is a lot of fun this time of year.
Look forward to working you from the LD summits.
Tim
G4YTD

I’m still using one of these:

Discontinued as a product now of course, but I was able to get the dimensions for the wire lengths from a page on the SOTAbeams website when I remade the antenna at the start of this year.

All the other components, bar one, were still in good condition, so making up the antenna again was easy with the information from the website. That one component I needed to replace was fortunately one that SOTAbeams still sells.

This is for SSB, CW and FT8 SOTA work of course - all traditionally H-pol modes. For those very rare occasions when I want V-pol to try a bit of 6m FM (51MHz), I have made up a quarter-wave with ground plane with the radials doubling as the upper sections of the guys for the mast! (ie, same as my 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m and 10m single band QW w GP antennas).

Thanks for the links Tom,
I did like the idea of this, but the homebrew hub ended up too heavy and stole much needed rucksack space.
The original SB Hub is not available, and I dont have access to my lathe and Mill at present to make something else, they are in storage. I should use the none travel down time to try to get to grips with designing one to print on a 3D printer - unless anybody wants to pick up the challenge?
The 2m Moxon works well, with all 3D printed parts.
Tim
G4YTD

I use my HF link dipole for Six meters…I just open the 6M links.

No extra weight, no extra coax, no extra mast, and always available to me on every activation. All I have to do is check 6M to see if the band is open.

I have worked a fair amount of ES on Six with it. Eighteen states do far from summits…

I also have taken a 3 element 6M Hill-Topper yagi at times…but it is still to bulky and heavy to carry except for special occasions and short hikes.

Pete
WA7JTM

1 Like

Will be up on some North Wales summits when we are allowed out. Nice clear path to the lakes!