6 Days in LD - G4OOE & M0PYG

Geoff, M0PYG/P and I, G4OOE/P met up on Sunday 26 Feb at Rheged and we drove along the A66 and set off for our first summit of the week, Blencathra via Scales Fell. We had first done this one together with Phil, G4OBK/P in 2011. It seemed much harder this time! Armed with 2m handheld we managed 11 contacts.
Monday we opted for the easier summits of Great Mell and Little Mell Fells. As well as 2m we did some HF on both summits. Tuesday we tackled Binsey and we had intended to use HF but it was raining hard when we left the car so we just took a 2m handheld and managed 5 contacts. We had a couple of large Cornish pasties for lunch and we bought some new walking gear in Keswick.
On Wednesday the forecast wasn’t brilliant but we tackled Skiddaw. Conditions were horrendous on the summit so it was just a quick burst on 2m with 8 contacts. The clouds cleared briefly for some great views but we were so glad to get back down out of the wind. The weather forecast was quite good for us to tackle Helvellyn on Thursday so we opted to do that one on 2m logging 14 contacts. We parked at Thirlmere car park after having to go to Grasmere to get some coins for the machine. This was quite a tough walk for us. Friday we chose Hallin Fell and we qualified on 2m and I managed a hand full on HF-CW but we weren’t able to use SSB because of a mic mixup. We then went back to Rheged for some scones, jam and clotted cream to celebrate our past few days. Geoff headed back to Herefordshire and I returned to Scarborough. Thanks everyone that worked us and hopefully we will be back in the LD soon!

Geoff & Nick on Blencathra summit

Tree en-route to Great Mell Fell

Geoff going for it on Little Mell Fell
!

Binsey summit

Keswick & Derwent Water from Skiddaw footpath

Geoff on Skiddaw summit

Helvellyn summit

Hallin Fell sentry

17 Likes

An action packed week - brilliant!

Thanks for the S2S on Thursday from Helvellyn while I was on Fair Snape Fell G/SP-007. I was checking Sotawatch for any possible HF CW S2S and saw your spot so I just tried the handheld. It’s not surprising we managed QSOs as I had a great view of the Lake District.

Thanks for your activation report with great photos. Cheers to you both :beers: :beers:

Geoff vk3sq

@G4OOE

Hi Nick.

Great report and photos…brought back a few memories of those hills and mountains. Good to see that Geoff is fit and healthy. Hope to see you at Norbreck.

73 Allan GW4VPX

1 Like

Thanks very much for the s2s Richard. Fair Snape Fell is on my “to do” list.

Nick

Hi Allan,

I am hoping to go to Norbreck but cannot commit to it just yet.

Nick

1 Like

Nice report and great fotos!
I was on some of these summits some yrs ago, but they look quite different with snow cover.
GL - 73 de DF3MC