500kHz

In reply to G0AZS:

The problem with balloons and balloon/kite hybrids is you would have to cart a heavy bottle of compressed helium up the hill too.

You could have fun with the helium though. I can see it now “M Zero USE name here is Mickey”. I just checked QRZ/hamcall and the callbook and I can’t believe no one has that call.

There are a couple of balloon/kite hybrids out there (shaped like a wing) that are supposed to get more stable the stronger the breeze. Sorry but can’t find the links just now.

The other problem with both balloon and kite antennas is static discharge, but I am sure Richard is clued up on that.

73 Steve GW7AAV

I was listening to a multi-tone thing on 503.2kHz last night. Would this be one of those WSPR beacons? Where can I find I list of them, locations and QRGs? I had a good look around t’internet without much joy.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
WSPR info here Tom:

http://wsprnet.org/drupal/

73 Marc

In reply to M1EYP:

The signals that you heard last night were G0NBD running MFK4, THROBX and PSK31 (simultaneously) with a view to seeing which was best at various distances.

My Notice of Variation arrived today so I will be QRV tonight doing some initial tests from home. I will be on 502.5kHz running a massive 100mW ERP. I will then be investigating portable operating.

The current administrative system for 500kHz portable is a bit cumbersome in that I have to give 7 days notice in writing but I will speak to the Authorities to see if some special arrangement might be possible.

Richard
G3CWI

Update:

The permit arrived yesterday but the static was too bad to make any “proper” contacts although I did make a cross-band contact with M1EYP. I also discovered that my thrown together RX ATU got too hot to touch on transmit. I found that you can get some nice sparks off 500kHz antennas. I discovered that a prolonged CQ left the FET too hot to touch so a hasty heatsink was attached. Despite those problems I did hear a very strong SM on ssb at midnight local.

This evening I threw together a proper TX atu and worked G3KEV (near Scarborough), G4XPU Hinkley and G3XIZ Biggleswade. A very useful facility for testing is Dave G3YXM’s grabber:

http://wireless.org.uk/grab/

The permit requires 7 days notice in writing for portable operating but I am discussing ways round that with OFCOM to allow kite operations (hard to predict wind 7 days in advance…). No comments about beans required.

Once I have agreed a way forward with OFCOM I will be out portable on a SOTA summit (almost certainly Gun for a start).

My maximum licenced ERP is 10 watts - which will be a challenge to achieve on a hilltop. 500kHz reminds me a little of topband in the 1970s - happy days.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Nice to hear you are making good progress Richard. I have had a good few listens around 500KHz at different times of the day & night, & unfortunately at my location there is a fair bit of QRM, although I could pick some signals out above it. I use a full wavelength horizontal 80M loop (modified so it is no longer a complete loop), at an average of about 6 Metres AGL, which works fine on 80M through to 20M, & even receives quite well on 136KHz, but the noise here is just too high for it to be really useful on 500KHz.

I take it from your post that cross-band QSO’s to other licensed amateur stations are permitted under the terms of a 500KHz NOV, unlike a 5MHz NOV under which cross-band QSO’s are only permitted with other holders of 5MHz NOV’s. As I have only seen a 5MHz NOV I am not sure on the technicalities of the 500KHz terms & conditions.

In any case, you have already made some good contacts & I wish you many more :slight_smile:

I have looked the requirements for 500KHz operation & it would be unlikely I could fulfil the distance from neighbouring properties requirement without putting my antenna in a very obvious place at the front of my house, which I’d rather not do. However, I am on good terms with all my near neighbours, which I’m sure would help any application for an NOV that I did make.

I can well imagine the voltages generated on the types of antenna necessary for operation on 500KHz, so your experience of sparks does not surprise me :wink:

Out of curiosity, I tested my Icom IC-725 transceiver (the first HF transceiver I ever owned, back when I was G7RRG) into a dummy load with a view to using it as a driver or frequency source for a dedicated 500KHz PA. Imagine my surprise when it produced a stable 2 Watts on it’s lowest power setting & up to 10 Watts as I increased the power available to the PA. A clean CW note was clearly audible on a nearby receiver. I’m not sure what that says about it’s transmit filtering, although that would be designed to prevent spurious emissions mainly above the fundamental frequency rather than below it, & may just work straight through at such a low frequency.

Anyway, Congratulations on gaining your 500KHz NOV & best of luck putting it to good use :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

I take it from your post that cross-band QSO’s to other licensed amateur stations are permitted under the terms of a 500KHz NOV, unlike a 5MHz NOV under which cross-band QSO’s are only permitted with other holders of 5MHz NOV’s.

This is interesting. I should imagine it is nigh on impossible to police or enforce as well. If two stations, at each end of a QSO, are transmitting entirely within the terms of their own respective licences, what is the issue?

On another point, I’m not sure if SOTA specifies any rules about crossband QSOs and/or how to log them. My own view would be to log the QRG of the other station in the chaser section, and your own in the activator section.

Time to research some documents I think!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I don’t recall seeing anything in my NOV about cross-band contacts. But it’s a while since I read it. I seem to remember there being some discussions somewhere regarding 5MHz cross-band contacts and DX contacts in the past. It’s important to distinguish between legal requirements (in the NOV) and well intentioned, but possible incorrect, guidance (in someones FAQ).

5MHz was granted in the UK as part of an experiment regarding inter-UK communications. In my case I take a small lightweight (pah!) setup somewhere remote and prove that I can have effective communications between there and others in the UK. It just so happens that these remote places are SOTA summits. I know myself and many other SOTA ops generate lots of contacts and thus lots of data for the 5MHz database.

I fail to see how cross-band (i.e. I TX on 5MHz and RX elsewhere) renders the concept invalid in some way. The only reason to try to suppress cross-band contacts would be to stop people working DX contacts.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy

There are no restrictions related to cross-band contacts on the 500kHz NoV. Many have done contacts like that before and they present no problems. Indeed for my experiments such contacts will provide valuable data (possible the only data!).

I have today contacted OFCOM to clarify any possible restrictions in relation to portable operating. It seems that SOTA-style operating in remote places is not subject to the 7 day notice restrictions. These were designed for people operating from alternative premises - not hilltops. Thus OFCOM’s view is that provided a sensible choice of location is envisaged, there is no additional need to notify. Thus /P in Crowborough would probably be subject to the restriction but operating from Gun or Black Hill would not. Good news indeed!

I have had an SWL report from France for my tests yesterday. These tests were just using my 80m doublet at home so I should be able to do much better in the field.

Richard
G3CWI

Dear all

I have a beacon running on 502.7kHz. This will be on all evening until late (around 2300z). This is a soak-test for the SOTA system and reports will be very welcome. The beacon is sending CW at about 15 wpm.

Richard
G3CWI

599, tnx fer IO83WG :wink:

In reply to G3CWI:
No “s” points here Richard but plenty loud enough, my aerial is about 90ft long working against an earth system (resonant for top band). Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

Just audible here, Richard, on a G5RV - and snatches of another signal HF of you.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

I was listening for your beacon Richard and suddenly I started to hear pips. For a few seconds I thought I could hear you then I realised it was just letter i over and over again. Maybe it sends pips between the idents I surmised but no G3CWI came. Then I turned down the rig and realised it was my fire alarm. Helen was cremating the evening meal.

Sorry I cannot hear the beacon at present but at least the house never burnt down and I am here to tell the tale.

Score is still Richard nil Local Motorbikes 59 but I’ll keep listening.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

In reply to G3CWI:
Maybe it sends pips between the
idents I surmised but no GW3CWI came.

No pips and also no GW3CWI as I live in England… I am a little surprised about the motorbikes Steve as I live next to a fairly busy road and have yet to hear any ignition interference on 500kHz. The buzzing that I get is switch mode power supplies.

Best RX report so far tonight is Haverfordwest. Reports also from Scarborough and Birmingham.

Things will improve as the night draws in.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard

Very loud an hour ago but has steadily weakened since then although still
audible with QSB (18:15 GMT). Cannot give ‘S’ reading due to S8 noise level.
Will be interesting to see if signal comes up again after dark. Using 1 metre
square loop + Datong VLF Converter + FT857

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ (Birmingham)

In reply to G3CWI:

No pips and also no GW3CWI as I live in England…

Slip of the finger or maybe the brain.

Zero noise here apart when a motorcycle goes past so maybe the RX is not much cop down there on the Icom. Listening on the 80/40 trap dipole so maybe something to do with the traps.

In reply to GW7AAV:

Can you hear the medium-wave stations on 530kHz?

Zero noise sounds a bit odd…

In reply to G3CWI:

Most Kenwood radios have a 20db attenuator in circuit when you tune below 1.8MHz to protect the front end from MW overload. This is normally disabled by physically moving links in the radio. Just in case anyone thinks their radio is a bit deaf!

I can’t hear Richard on the 500kHz band, I can’t see him with Spectran either. I can hear a number of NDBs around 350kHz though and that’s with the attenuator in circuit on my TS570.

See http://www.beaconworld.org.uk/files/britisles1.pdf for a list of NDBs. You can “calibrate” your system by seeing how many of these you can hear.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard,
Just had a quick listen, sri nil hrd your beacon.
Can hear SM6BHZ beacon S1/2 on 505khz - am using
FT920 + 80m loop

73s es gl de Peter TJE+