50 years ago today. (Part 1)

I’m starting to understand why you are subscribing to the urban myth about Status Quo and the three chords! :smiley:

Use your ears Brian - you’re a musician and you’ll quickly find a lot more chords including ones only normally associated with jazz. There’s even a celebrated Quo tune in the set list here on Spirit of Adventure. F#dim makes an appearance in that one!

1 Like

What I said was that it was an 8-bar blues format that only needed three chords, a truism because as you know, the bog-standard format is I/V/IV/IV/I/V/I/V. I added that in various performances they use 4, 5 and 6 chords. I’ve never swung an axe so I don’t normally consult websites like ultimate-guitar but I imagine it is mainly a resource for beginners. I don’t know if it is like that today, but it used to be that the chords on sheet music were for ukelele and conformed to the limitations of that instrument. All these plus a humorous remark by a band member (“In search of the fourth chord”) have contributed to the myth.

It might only need three chords - but then it wouldn’t sound anything like Quo, who typically have this F - F6 - F7 - F6 thing going up even before the root shifts up a fourth. Anyway, even if you discard that and insist on counting it all as a single F chord (which would sound rubbish), then the tune still goes on to exceed three chords.

Reminds me of two chord composers, like Elgar or McCartney/Lennon (Paperback Writer). But in the blues, I never used more than three during 64 years on the Hohner 265, or six on the D-28.

Question… If blues are supposed to be sad, why is none of it in a minor key?

EL

1 Like

That is another popular myth, I guess. There is nothing more mournful in music than major thirds moving in semitones at a moderate pace, run it fast and it becomes something else!

I take it that you don’t mean Sir Edward? :grinning:

And people ask me why I keep my Onkyo (c.1990) stack. Haven’t had it wired up for several years, but when there’s something I want to watch, the CD player is great and the quad sound is the only way to go.
Someday, I’ll dust it off!

1 Like

Well we have had a problem Houston because it was August 1971 not July. Booger! That means we need some July 1971 albums.

That means I missed another pair of albums that I still listen too.

Black Sabbath “Master of Reality”

The art work on this cover is best described as basic. It made me and my teenage mates smile that someone was credited on the cover for writing the album title and band name. (See below for this fine piece of design) Some fine tracks, one, “Sweat Leaf”, about cannabis. They sang about heroin on the previous album and go on to sing about cocaine on the next album. The other classics being “Children Of The Grave”, “Lord Of This World” and “Into The Void”. A lot of my A level and University studies was done with this playing rather loud.

Lord Of This World.

Children Of The Grave

Never ever mix drinking Red Bull, driving a sports car and the A93 from Ballater to Braemar with that last track playing. You’ll find the limit of adhesion rather quickly and frighten yourself a lot.

Fireball Deep Purple.

Now we’re talking. 3rd album of theirs I bought after wearing out a BASF C90 cassette tape which I recorded a copy on to. Not rated as one of their best but there’s something l just like about this. In particular “No, No, No” and “Demon’s Eye”

Here’s “No, No, No” from Germany’s Beat Club sessions (and what a treasure trove those Beat Club tapes are.) What I like is you can see they can actually play and sound like the album without millions of overdubs and multitrack recording.

“What a scruffy bunch, mention work and they’ll all run away” as my late father said about the musicians I listened to as a teenager!

“Demon’s Eye”, a classic blues influenced track. It has to be me because when I listen to Grand Funk Railroad the songs sound old but this is ageless. Perhaps because I have been listening to it for 48 years.

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: People from Andy’s formative … Part 3

Some of Grand Funk Railroad’s stuff sounded old when it was new. Witness “We’re an American Band” which, despite being an American listening to American bands, I found practically unlistenable even when it was a current hit.

I am willing to forgive Grand Funk Railroad for many sonic transgressions only because they gave us “I’m Your Captain/Closer to Home.” For some reason it always delights me.

1 Like

Priceless!:slight_smile: I thought it was just me. On TIme and the red albums are my favourites followed by selected tracks thereafter. “I Come Tumbling” being another big favourite. That’s another track that must never be listened to when driving!

Perhaps that might be a little naive. There has been for the last fifty or more years ways that an off-stage tech has been able to integrate backing tapes with an on-stage performance. Not miming, just a bit of gentle augmentation. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it isn’t obtrusive, its the performance that counts.

1 Like

Not the anniversary of the album, but 50 years ago today was the Concert for Bangladesh. Organized by George Harrison at the request of Ravi Shankar, the concert was the first big rock multi-star benefit concert. In addition to raising money for UNICEF’s relief efforts in Bangladesh, it set the model for LiveAid, FarmAid, and so many others.

We’ll have to wait until December to mark the anniversary of the release of the concert recording album in the US, and January 2022 for the UK release.

I was but 16 years old at the time and wasn’t aware of the concert. It was the album, and the airplay it received, that finally got my attention.

2 Likes

I’ve been slacking so once more unto the breach…

Having mixed up when Who’s Next was released that did August early. Another album from August was Ten Years After’s “A Space In Time.” I don’t actually have a copy of this, no vinyl or CD. I deleted all the MP3s I downloaded some years back if I didn’t go on and buy the genuine item. It’s hypocritical as a programmer to expect people to pay for software I’ve written if I then go on and steal artist’s music. So the MP3s I have are my rips of my media for use in the car etc.

Anyway, A Space In Time has the brilliant track “I’d Love To Change The World” but ISTR the rest of it was so-so. And as a result I don’t have a copy. Well I think I have a cassette copy recorded when I was student but I no longer have a working cassette deck. I have the cassette deck I bought in December 1980 with some money I earned during the Christmas Break but the rubber capstan and belts have gone hard so it wont play anymore :frowning: I need to buy a Nakamichi because Nakamichi :slight_smile:

Oh boy it sounds dated and the opening verse is anything buy PC. But there is a lovely mix of acoustic and electric guitar and good old Alvin Lee shreds off nicely towards the end. Listening now and I’m back at University planning my parts of a joint final year project.university which was scarily some 39 years ago.

2 Likes

And we need a September album too. This was requested last December I think. Pilgrimage by Wishbone Ash. The first album must have done well for the record company to push them to get another recorded and released 9 months later.

It’s not one of my favourite album’s of theirs but there are 2 standout tracks, a re-working of Vas Dis and Valediction. Valediction has some seriously sweet guitar solos. When I first heard it I couldn’t identify the guitar being used for the solos, it wasn’t a Strat or Les Paul or Tele. It annoyed me for sometime till I saw a picture of Andy Powell playing a 1968 Gibson Flying V. He’s still got it but uses custom guitars now. I’ve seen Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell’s version of the band) who are their own tribute group many times but they’ve never played either of these songs live.

It sounds old like I’d Love To Change The World but who cares as it is simply beautiful. If you listen on headphones count how many separate guitar tracks there.

1 Like

This one from September 1971 is a special for Gerald @G4OIG

Second Album by Curved Air.

Ah, the lovely Sonja Kristina. She had that effect on young men at the time. And old men too. Their most famous song to non-fans. That exposed stomach Ms. Kristina sports in this video would have been rather racy for the time. Hot pants and mini-skirts were nothing on that :slight_smile: And a cool Hohner Pianet as well.

(More Beat Club gold with the lovely Uschi Nerke doing the intro)

2 Likes

Wow! Goodness me, I’m in overload mode! :laughing:

1 Like

She’s lost those svelte looks but still sings beautifully!

2 Likes

Ah, November 1971, a bumper month.

Let’s start with an album still selling well. 8th November 1971 Led Zeppelin 4th album. So many good tracks and a classic rock radio station staple. I never was a huge fan at the time. There was always the Blackmore vs Page which is best arguments. I was in the Blackmore camp at the time. I suppose listening to this for the last 47 years has caused it to grow on me.

So let’s start with Black Dog which is classic Page riffs and leads and John Bonham beating the drums to within an inch of their lives. I try to not to play this unless I am stuck in traffic. This, the A93 and a 310bhp car is a recipe for trouble.

12th November 1971 Genesis Nursery Cryme (especially for @g8add)

I’m not a huge fan of Genesis, they have tracks I like. I can’t remember when I last heard this from start to end, probably 1982 when still at university. I quite like their 1974 album Trick of the Tail.

I’m guessing this is what Brian would like me to pick…

27th November 1971 Alice Cooper Killer.

Now we’re talking. In 1972 as a 10 year old, Alice Cooper (a band at the time) were on their meteoric rise. School’s Out was number one and my mate Ziggy and his brother had that album and the earlier (breakout) Love it to Death. My sister bought me Killer for my birthday in 1972. My mother was not at all pleased. My sister bought it because she knew I’d love it and my mother would hate it. I listened to it a lot as a “tweenie” but after a while moved on to other things. When I moved to university I took it with all the other records but didn’t play. A friend searching my collection found it and demanded to hear it and I was a bit embarrassed it may be seen as Glam Rock. But when it came on I realised what a magnificent rock album it was and how talented the musicians in the band were.

A stunning, simple rock track with excellent lyrics that has been a favourite for 49 years. Oh this is so good.

Now in 1971 the BBC started a late night serious music program, The Old Grey Whistle Test. This was the only chance to see proper music in the UK in the early 70s. New Year’s Eve 1972 they had recap of their first year. One of the acts was Alice Cooper. It was the 1st program shown Jan1st 1973 0000Z. As a family we watched as I was still a fan. My mother was disgusted, horrified and fascinated at the same time. Alice Cooper seriously screwed with her sense of right and wrong, a man with long hair wearing makeup and called a girl’s name. The she saw just how low the zip was on his jump suit. I didn’t get to hear the track as she tutted away for 3mins. I had to wait 40 years for YouTube to see it again.

Enjoy

And there’s more:

26th November 1971 Yes Fragile

I heard this one from Christmas 1971 onwards. One of my sister’s friends boyfriend got this for Christmas and made a tape for a reel-to-reel tape recorder we had. (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CLUAAOSwFnJgSLHY/s-l1600.jpg) So I used to hear this when she was doing her homework. Mrs. FMF bought it and Close to the Edge on vinyl when we were students and I have them both on CD. A few years back both versions of Yes were touring and I got to see them play the whole album live. Epic.

It’s hard to pick any track but the late Chris Squire’s bass playing and the bass sound in general makes this a favourite.

28th November 1971 Rory Gallagher Deuce.

Rory was the blues rock guitarist. I saw him live many times and it was epic every time. He died far too young from MRSA caught after a liver transplant. I still remember driving to work along the M53 and hearing his death announced on the drivetime news on the radio. So long ago I was still using cassette tapes in the car.

Anyway, my first Rory album was 1972’s Live in Europe bought Easter 1973. I didn’t get a vinyl copy of Deuce till university. I think the standout track is Used To Be. The clip is a live session from Germany’s excellent Beat Club. I do think the original line up of Rory, Gerry McAvoy and Wilgar Campbell was the best. Capmbell’s drumming is special on this live session. Excellent audio quality lets you hear the bass clearly and Rory’s guitar tone is out of this world. The famous 1961 Stratocaster with a Vox AC30 wound up to 11 and old Fender blonde amp. My mother always, but always used to call him Rory O’Gallagher I think mainly to annoy me. I got her back by saying my son would be called Rory. He isn’t though, no he’s called Angus (can you guess why?)

Grand Funk E Pluribus Funk

Another power trio and another song never to play when driving a sporty car on a good road! I only discovered Flint’s finest at university. I have a second hand and badly worn copy of this in the original round cover.

I Come Tumblin’ is my favourite. Farner’s guitar is also something special along with Mel Sacher’s pumping bass. Usual over the top drumming. It sounds awfully old but I love it.

I’m sure I’ve missed something :slight_smile:

Testing automatic continue…