40th Birthday First time SOTA activations

****Additional info to previous post some reiterated! (Forgot I’ve already responded)

Good luck! Reddish, Flagpole and High Knob are easy to complete in one day. I did that trio a couple weeks ago. Reddish and Flagpole are easy drive ups. High Knob is 20 minute hike to Firetower.

Yesterday I did a marathon 9 hours of driving and attempted Thorny Benchmark and Gaudineer Knob both locations are beautiful and I plan on staying on top of Gaudineer this summer!

I was unsuccessful on both. My 6w FT818 on 2/6m was not able to reach into the population centers to the east. I called from both for over 2 hours netting 3 total QSOs!!! I think Greenbank Radio Observatory was jamming my signals (half joking!) something was definitely odd yesterday.

Still got to enjoy this view and saw F15s flying super fast BELOW me above treetop level!

Gaudineer Knob overlook!

I’d enter SHNP near Harrisonburg (South Entrance)

High Top
Hawksbill
Stoney Man
Pinnacle
Hogsback
North Marshal
Compton

Lots of real easy points (compared to Colorado standards)!

Erik
KE8OKM

Awesome thanks for the info and that picture is really nice. I hope to hit as many as possible but also waiting to see if the gas issue is going to stop me completely.

Yesterday WV/PA had gas! I was thinking the same thing though. I’m picking up some spare safe to transport emergency gas. Looking into it now.

If you plan on camping Gaudineer Knob is a great free place to overnight. Camp anywhere on top just off trail. Beautiful location!

Thanks for the info, I actually have a hotel booked for both nights. In two different towns, Bristol VA and Whytheville VA

1 Like

Well my plans changed on the fly a lot and I didn’t get as much as I originally planned completed. I did however have a great time.

1 Like