Activated 2 peaks yesterday with Fred KT5X/WS0TA. Weather near Socorro, NM was spectacular and band conditions were very good (LOUD signals) compared to recent activations where scraping together 4 contacts wasn’t easy. South Baldy MG-001 was my 400th activation, another milestone. A recently acquired KX2 was used for the first time.
The latest KX2 firmware has a built in logging function where it captures sent characters from the internal keyer and tags that data with time, mode and band. After an activation you can scroll through the log using the VFO knob and the recorded data parades across the display, or you can upload the log to your computer using the KX2 Utility. I was a proponent of this feature during KX2 development and, excited to finally experience its implementation, left the paper log and pencils at home.
There is room in the KX2 memory for 2048 transmitted characters. Elecraft suggests using the available Message memories for CQing and standard exchanges because they do not count against the transmitted character memory, which I did. 2048 seems like a lot of characters but by the end of the second activation on MG-002, I had close to 50 QSOs total and “Log Full” appeared on the display. Oh no! Fortunately, there were no other callers.
Activators have their personal styles and mine includes occasionally calling chasers by name, adding a little info about the activation, etc. Analyzing the log, roughly 40% wasn’t related to logging. Strategies might include modifying operating style to strictly business, toggling the logging function on/off to conserve space, and of course optimizing use of the Message memories. I’d be interested in what others using the logger have experienced and their strategies for conserving memory.
Santa Fe, NM