4 hills - Mid week G/LD

Hi, a “pass” was issued for a few days in the Lake District, so obviously had to be used!
Accommodation was booked, so that was the dates fixed - the weather would just have to be dealt with.
A broad outline plan was to travel down the west side of the Lake District, visit Dent on the way down, then with no particular order , Pike O’Blisco, Red Screes and maybe Black Combe and Lingmoor Fell

Dent - G/LD-045
This is a nice little hill and would be a gentle stroll up on a nice summer’s evening. Although it wasn’t summer, at least it wasn’t raining although a light drizzle was never very far away.

Getting set up at the summit I found that I’d left the RH-770 clone antenna at home, so it was either the stubby factory antenna for the handheld, or a Slim Jim - obviously the extra height would help there, so I fired off a spot and didn’t take too long before the hill was qualified, Andrew @G4VFL lives close by, but couldn’t quite see me for a wave.

Pike O’Blisco - G/LD-024
The “grand plan” for here was thwarted by strong winds. I’d thought to park at the NT carpark and do a nice walk around Pike O’Blisco, Crinkle Crag etc, then head over and activate Lingmoor Fell and back to the car. As the day dawned, the wind was “strong to gale force” - so a ridge walk was likely going to be a bit silly. I was staying in Eskdale, so getting anywhere near the hill would involve either a 20 mile round trip, or driving up over Hardknott then Wrynose Passes - fun times! At the crest of Wrynose Pass, there are a few parking spots and one of them was empty so I filled it. A quick check of the map gave a simple stroll up the the summit. I followed the “tourist path” for a while, then , before reaching Red Tarn, I headed straight up to the south end of the summit - this was a far easier walk than the rest of the “tourist path” which I used on return - it’s muddy on places and comprises many stone steps which are fine if they match your stride length and a pain if they don’t.
At the summit, the full strength of the wind became apparent - very! There are nice rock steps to the south / south west of the summit and they provided a perfect place, shelter from the wind, back rest and a good view back down the valley. Low cloud lifted during my time there although I was never in the murk. 2m FM only reached Dave G6AKE/M and then 40m gave a good run, 10m gave 1 contact 15 and 17m gave 10 and 7 contacts - all SSB.

By then I was getting cold, so headed down the hill and round to Conniston to have “lunch” - at about 3pm…
I saw this chap delivering a flat pack Ikea sofa when on the way down, it’s either that or we’ve finally found the size of anvil needed to slow Fraser down a bit. (it’s a bouldering mat - there are nice crags to play on in the valley.)

Next day was still very windy, so I headed down to Back Combe G/LD-030
The walk up starts very steep, so I was well warmed up before too long as the route was in the lee of the hill - the full force of the North Easterly was only felt as i approached the summit - there isn’t much to shelter behind, there is a stone shelter yes, but the entrance was facing the wind! I sat outside with as much behind me as possible. 2m FM first with 6 contacts, then 40m SSB - big thanks to @G0FEX who noticed I had spotted the wrong reference for 40m and called me so I could correct it - thanks Ken.

The sun did shine for a while and on the way down (before I froze entirely) , I took this pic of the effect of the wind on the sea - the wind was from behind me and curling over the hill to stir up the waves a bit.

Parking for Black Combe - there is a nice car park beside the church at Whicham just off the A595 - very handy.

Red Screes G/LD-017
Another trip over the passes and then “The Struggle” for a bit more narrow road enjoyment got me to the car-park at the top of Kirkstone Pass for Red Screes. It was hard to see the route up the hill at first, then as people started making there way up, it became clear. 3 people set off with spades… I caught up with them after “sorting out the rucksack” and setting off - these 3 were from “Fix the Fells” and one chap was quick to pull out a card with some details - I’m sure it would be the same organisation (if not people) who @G4TGJ met on Conniston, I chatted with them on the way back down too - they were asking about the antenna (rather than “the fishing pole”). “Sorting out the rucksack” - ah yes - about that. Next time make sure to keep the “bag o’bits” in it - you know the one with the earphones, log book, pencil, battery cable and adapters, that bag. Sigh…
At least the weather was great! Fortunately , I’d left the BNC adapter on the handheld, so all was not lost entirely with 6 2m FM contacts using the SlimJim made, including the ever welcome Dave G6AEK and G4WHA with his many suffixes.

Huge thanks to all chasers who made my activations possible! I had a fun time - always good to get out on the hills, even if you do end up “wind-blown” from time to time.

Some pics…

Pike O’Blisco summit only just visible in the sun on the left (taken on the descent - too horrible to take any at summit).

To prove the sun did shine ! Familiar hills from the summit of Red Screes - Scafell group, Great Gable etc

From Red Screes north(ish) to Fairfield , St Sunday Crag, Helvellyn etc

6 Likes

I wasn’t given a card but I think you are probably right that it is them. Their website mentions having 100 volunteers so might have been a different crew. At the Kirkstone Pass car park there was somewhere to donate money but the last couple of times I’ve parked there it was in the middle of the roadworks and it was missing or closed.

1 Like

Many thanks for the Complete when you were on Pike O’ Blisco Alan. I’ve been waiting for that one since 2010, having chased several activators on the summit in the past.

Pleased you had enjoyable few days. I’m sure you are working on the next pass out.

73, Gerald

A pleasure!
It’s odd how some hills escape from the completes list despite being frequently visited, Pillar and Great Gable on mine for example. I need to pay more attention to alerts I guess. :smirk:

Plots are being plotted for the next foray :sweat_smile: perhaps some of the hills up Ennerdale/Mosedale direction in December. Not sure about November though. :thinking:

A