So when attempting a quick battery change last night I managed to plug the ‘fresh’ LifePo4 Zippy Flightmax 4.2AH into the old one rather than the radio.
I soon realised my mistake and disconnected them. I was expecting melted connectors or cables but they didn’t appear to be harmed. As it happens the ‘fresh’ battery wasn’t fully charged and was showing a similar voltage to the one being replaced, so I think I just lucked out in that the voltage differential was quite small.
That then got me thinking about what you do when jump starting a car, connecting a 13.8v battery to a 12v battery and I then confused myself as to whether doing what I did actually wasn’t so dangerous. Anyway, it was out of character the way in which I was swapping the batteries over and I’ll try and keep to my usual practice of putting the old one away before fishing out the new one in future.