3356m LUM/PC-004 EA2IF QSO

Hi everyone! Yesterday with PY2TTN went to LUM/PC-004; it was a fresh cloudy walk (some esporadic thin rain) we activate on 2m and 40m and then switch on 15m. Suddenly had a little rain and hail comming (look the video) and decided to pack it all and leave; last QSO on my log was EA2IF (Muchas gracias Guru!).
We walked about 100m away and a thunder (first of the day) behind us exploded like a bomb. The air move around us and my ears started to sound like a tunning tone… really scared we start going down on a different route; trying to go away from the storm.

I try not imagine what it would happened if we where at the summit when that lightning striked; we are so lucky!.. I only say now; never again on a summit while rain

13 Likes

Mother nature does not play fair. Big VISIBLE signals are not good.
I am glad you chose safety over all.
CARL WB0CFF 73

2 Likes

Muchísimas gracias a vosotros por esa activación a gran altura y asumiendo un riesgo tan enorme!
Vi vuestro spot en SSB y fui a la frecuencia, pero allí no os oía. Cuando salió tu spot en CW, Alejandro, fui rápidamente a la frecuencia y sentí una gran emoción cuando escuché claramente vuestra señal. Realizar el QSO fue ya la guinda del pastel, más ahora que sé que fue el último QSO de la activación.
Tuvisteis verdadero buen juicio al decidir recoger y abandonar el lugar. No quiero ni pensar en cómo nos sentiríamos ahora si ese rayo os hubiese alcanzado…
Hace muchos años, durante una noche de contest en una montaña en una pequeña cabaña, resultó que, al amanecer, abrí la puerta de la cabaña y descubrí que estaba todo cubierto por la nieve. Maravillado por el espectáculo, me quedé en la puerta mirando la nevada cuando, de pronto, cayó un rayo atronador muy cerca de nuestra cabaña. No lo ví, pero el ruido fue terrible y la onda expansiva me empujó para atrás, hacia dentro de la cabaña. Inmediatamente descubrí que la circuitería del equipo de 2m SSB que estuve utilizando hasta pocos segundos antes, estaba ardiendo en llamas. Dió bastante miedo.
Muchas gracias por la activación y por el QSO. Celebro que todo tuviera un final feliz y pudierais descender sin percance.
Estaré deseando volver a cazarte de nuevo.

Guru

==========================================

Many, many thanks to you, guys for that high altitude activation and asuming such an enormous risk!
I saw your spot on SSB, went to the frequency, but I couldn’t hear you there. When your CW spot showed up, Alejandro, I went right away to the frequency and felt a thrill when I clearly copied your signal. Making the QSO was just the icy on the cake, even more now that I know it was the last QSO in that activation.
You really had a wise judjement when decided to pack up and leave the place. I don’t even want to think on how we all would feel now, should that strike had hitted you…

Several years ago, during a contest night in a small shack on top of a mountain, it turned out that I openned the shack door at dawn only to find that everything had been covered in snow during the night. Wondered by the magic silence and the spectacular view, I stood at the shack door looking at the snow fall when, suddenly, a terrible thunder from a strike hitted very close to our shack. I didn’t see the lightning, but the thunder terrible noise and its expansive wave pushed me back inside the shack. I immediately found the circuitry of the 2m SSB rig I had been using up to a few seconds before had got in fire. It was very scary…
Thank you very much for your activation and the QSO. I’m happy because everything had a happy end and you could have an uneventful descent.
I’ll be looking forward to chasing you again.

Guru

2 Likes

Chicos felicitaciones por la activación!
Qué buenas señales puso Guru por esas latitudes, se lo escucha fuerte y claro!
Lo del rayo… tuve la misma experiencia y por suerte al igual que ustedes la pude contar, aterrador!
Que el 2022 venga con muchas y buenas activaciones.
73 de JP3PPL

1 Like