2E0TDX & 2E0XYL on Moel Famau on Sunday

Hi Tom…Great to meet you Jimmy and Ed on Moel Famau on Sunday and Glad to hear that the trip was worthwile, with plenty of contacts.

We didn’t realise that the ‘backpackers’ comp was such a big event, and I think that our being there hampered your attempts to set up for the competition…We’ll try and pick a quieter time next time round!

We trotted up NW 044 again last night and had a few contacts on 2m but have not plucked up the courage to do an activation as yet…We’ll get there one day!

All the best…look forward to working you and/or Jimmy on a hilltop somewhere soon and pass on my good luck wishes to Ed on his forthcoming FL test.

73 for now…Neil & Karen.

but have not plucked up the courage to do an activation as yet…

But you have already done two activations! An activation can be entered on the Database with just one QSO in it, and “a few contacts” may well get you your points, if “a few” is 4 or more. But get them both logged on the SOTA Database anyway.

You didn’t hamper our set-up at all Neil. You might have noticed we were in “automatic pilot” mode while chatting to you, and getting on with the setting up! As it was, we were fully set up a good 5/10 minutes before the contest start. The only thing that hindered the setting up was the strongly gusting wind!

Nice to meet both of you.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0TDX:

Hi Neil,

You have been talking about SOTA activations too long now Hi Hi

lets get you going as soon as possible

If you want to we can do a duel activation from one close to you?

Just let me know, I have told you in the past once you do one you’re hooked for life!!

and if Karen doesnt come with you she becomes a SOTA Widow !! as you know Elaine carry’s the 2nd most important equipment “The Picnic”

No Mobile rig at present hence not heard me on way to work etc:

Email me if you want to and let me know

Best 73

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Hi Tony, many thanks for the reply.

You’re quite right, we have been talking about doing some activations for a while now but it’s only for about six months now surely!

A dual activation would be great and we’d both really appreciate that muchly.

We had our first walk up Moel famau 3 weeks ago and although progress is not as quick as I would like, the ankle arthrodesis does not cause much of a problem…

We’ve since been up Moel famau 6 times now and also Foel fenlli twice and the Great Orme (long way) once…We’re probably going to Moel Gwy tonight to have wander up there.

The reason we’ve not activated anywhere yet is purely a lack of confidence in what we are supposed to do, we don’t want to make a hash of things.

We would really appreciate seeing how it is done and you’re experience of Sota is ideal for us, as is your knowledge of what kind of equipment is needed.

We don’t mind one bit travelling to wherever you want for the joint activation and if it is a new one for you we’d be more than happy to fit in with you.

Again, many thanks for your help…All the best, Neil & Karen.

P.S…You can e-mail me at m3vod@aol.co.uk

In reply to M1EYP:

Cheers for that Tom…

It was interesting to see you going through the ‘setting up’ mode…very workmanlike in the almost casual hand of the experienced summit activator very evident!

As to starting any record of activations, we’d prefer not to do so officially until we are both happy with what we are doing…and we’re not at that point as yet.

Another 6 months should be about right!

Cheers Tom…Best 73…Neil & Karen.

Neil, FWIW, what you did on Moel Famau was perfect. SOTA isn’t complicated, and so walking to a summit and making one or more contacts on a 2m handheld is a perfectly good way of making a valid activation. Our set up for a 5 hour stay on summit in a major contest is the exception rather than the rule.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0TDX:

"We would really appreciate seeing how it is done and you’re experience of Sota is ideal for us, as is your knowledge of what kind of equipment is needed. "

Neil, as you know I am fairly new to SOTA only doing close to 50 summits in the last 15 months, I am not as experienced or as prolific as a lot of the ops on here.

One thing is clear though whether its one summit or 101 summits most on here will say "have fun " “play Radio”. As Tom says if you are ops at home then the only difference is you may have done a long steep walk to your shack and it is out in the open. Each activator will have their own style and what gear to take. so dont feel a lack of confidence, just have fun and enjoy the walk!

will catch up via email and we are on the Narrowboat next week so will try to get you on CR to have a chat,not very strong into MP from LLangollen Canal

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Thanks for the Summit to summits from Moel Famau guys, much appreciated.

See you out on the tops sometime.

Thanks Karl

In reply to 2E0TDX:
Hi Neil & Karen,

As others have said it sounds like you are already activating summits but perhaps not making enough contacts to gain the points.
Speaking as a chaser (who is fairly new to the game as well) I would just say ‘get on & do it’, the more activators the better and I think ‘on the job learning’ is what SOTA (& WOTA in my neck of the woods) is all about.

Having worked Tom on Moel Famau I would gladly be one of your chasers.

Colin.

In reply to 2E0XSD:

Hi Colin…

You’re quite correct in saying ‘get on and do it’!..I know that we should and it seems a bit daft walking up a hill with radio gear and then not activating it, but!..

The main issue is radios…we currently have 3 H/H’s and a couple of 290’s and I figure we need to be running something like a multibander… i.e. 817/857/897 or a 703 perhaps?..Then there is battery choices, antenna choices etc etc and on it goes.

We will atart activating…and soon!

Cheers Colin, atb…Neil & Karen.

In reply to 2E0TDX:

Hi again Neil & Karen,

I don’t see the radios being an issue, when I get a chance I’m going to start activating with just an FT-290R mainly for SSB (to make the most of the power/battery life) and an Intek H-520 Plus to give 10mFM and even 10mAM a try (in the hope there is some Sporadic-E about) but will resort to FM with the 290 if I don’t get enough contacts. I will probably join Derek 2E0MIX for at least the first few outings since he has more experience of the fells than me and has a n FT-60R for a bit more power and 70cm (so I could borrow his radio if I’m really struggling for contacts).

But at least you are ahead of me, I haven’t walked up any hills with a radio yet. So I’m one to be giving out all this advice. I really just want to encourage more activators for me to chase.

Looking forward to working you for the first time and hopefully an S-S with 290’s both ends one day.

Cheers & 73,
Colin.

In reply to 2E0XSD:

Hi again Neil & Karen,

Since I’ve been badgering you to ‘get on & do it’ I (with some encouragement from my XYL) got on & did it.

Not a SOTA but a WOTA (Ling Fell LDW-205).

I used the FT-290R for 2mFM running about 2W with its built in antenna and my Intek H-520 Plus for 10mFM running 1W into a Centre Loaded Telescopic Whip.

If you want to read a bit more about it I’ve posted something on the WOTA forum here: http://www.wota.org.uk/mm_forum/forum/topic/3/87/1/26.html (I home the SOTA MT don’t mind me posting such a web address as that here:S.

It was such a joy getting good results with low power it is making me even more inclined to get a Puxing PX-2R to work 70cm on just 2W.

Hopefully this will encourage a few more to ‘give it a go’ with whatever they can, you don’t need an expensive multimode multiband rig to enjoy a good walk up a hill with a radio (or two, or possibly three).

Colin.

In reply to 2E0XSD:

Well I’ve finally gone & done it, my first attempt at activating a SOTA was successful and I now have 1 Point on the board for LD-045 (Dent).
Thanks to Norman G7MRL, Les MW0SEC, Ross MW0BYT and Nick G0HIK for the QSOs. I qualified the Summit by the skin of my teeth by just getting Nick as I was moving off away from the summit, sorry I lost you during my final over Nick, I must have dropped down just a little bit too much (between the two peaks if you know the summit of Dent).

Considering it was well into the evening on a Saturday (when a lot of people have found other things to do) and only running a couple of Watts with a built-in aerial, I am pleased with the result.

I didn’t have any luck with 2mSSB but I did hear what sounded like a foreign station on 10mFM but I didn’t catch the Callsign & didn’t get a response when I tried to answer his CQ, obviously 1W just wouldn’t cut it on 10m, I will have to sort out a better aerial and/or power supply so I can run the full 4W some time.

Colin.

In reply to 2E0XSD:

Well done on your first activation Colin…The first of many?!

Our first activation is getting a little nearer now…We are going to collect our SB 270 and ‘mfd’ antennas tomorrow!

We’ll be having a ‘trial’ play with the antennas sometime during the week, possibly on Moel Famau…Then off to activate properly on either Saturday or Sunday.

ATB Colin and hopefully we’ll catch you on a hill soon!..N & K.

In reply to 2E0TDX:

N&K,

That is good news, make sure you put an alert & spots up for your trial run and I will try to work you (it is normally easier for me to chase during the week).

Colin.

In reply to 2E0TDX:

We’ll be having a ‘trial’ play with the antennas sometime during the week, possibly on Moel Famau…Then off to activate properly on either Saturday or Sunday.

You two will have done about ten activations by the time you do your first activation :wink:

GL,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Lol!..not far off right there Tom!..Although, as yet, we have not put out a ‘CQ SOTA’ call.

In reply to 2E0TDX:

It is really not that difficult to mention SOTA somewhere in a QSO:).

On some of my CQ shouts I don’t think I mentioned SOTA, perhaps that is why I only made 4 contacts:S.

Colin.