2E0LAE Activations for 4 Dec 2010 Cancelled

Tony 2E0LAE has asked me to announce the cancellation of tomorrow’s activations of G/WB-003 Stiperstones and G/WB-005 Long Mynd. Tony and Elaine slipped and fell a number of times going up and down the Wrekin today. They had hoped to drive onto the summit road on Long Mynd and access the Stiperstones in their hatchback car but have decided to go home rather than risk icy, untreated [closed] roads.
They had a good time on G/WB-010 The Wrekin today which Tony activated for SOTA on 2m SSB and FM with plenty of callers to get the unique. Clear views and sunshine made it a winter wonderland once we’d ducked down below the brow of the hill to get out of the wind. I operated 80m ssb with thanks to Brian G8ADD for the spot and all the subsequent callers. Today’s DX was HB9BIN. I used Grivel Spider in-step crampons and found my self to be very sure-footed on the hard ice and snow of the Wrekin summit access track. Tony & Elaine want a pair each asap! Thanks for the day out together

best wishes
David M0YDH

In reply to M0YDH:
Sorry to miss you today David and Tony!! I was hoping to catch you guys today as the Wrekin is one summit I have not chased in the WB regions!! However due to excessive snowfall in Cumbria I was unable to make it home!! Still the training course at Skelton HF Site is going well.

Hopefully catch you again next time!

73 Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to M0YDH:

Sorry to miss both of you (& Elaine) today, but being at work means I do miss virtually all week day activations.

I was both surprised & very impressed that you both had gone ahead with the activation today, as when I saw the first spot, I was stood outside my place of work wrapped up in my usual bike gear, yet still feeling the bitter cold.

Kudos to all of you for being on a summit on a day like today.

I hope that no injuries were sustained & look forward to actvating G/SP-008 in January with Tony & Elaine, of course, weather permitting.

Best 73 to all,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to M0YDH:

Thanks to David for both your excellent company and for your support up and down the Wrekin.

After you advising that the road to Long Mynd would be closed and the slipping and sliding, we regrettably decided to cancel. It was even more prevalent when we woke in the Travelodge this morning to find Heavy fog and snow falling(albeit light)

We enjoyed the Wrekin and as David says it was a unique to add to the list and one off my WB target.

Thanks to all who commented on Davids thread and yes we will be getting some of the crampons David had worn.

any way link below shows picture and conditions up there.

Imgur

Thanks to all who called David and myself, especially Roger G0TRB who gave me no4 to qualify!!

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

I’ve looked at that photo and I can see there’s a little frost on the ground but not what you’d call snow. For an example of snow try this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/5231063147/in/pool-sota_pics

That’s 2 days snow!

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF (just north of Moscow)

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

I do see what you mean, the car looks like it has had a short back & sides Haircut!!

The photo taken by Elaine is more for the usual photo evidence that we did make it up there.

The slipping and sliding only happened on the compressed snow/ice path on the way down and it was me that fell on my posterior more than once(Elaine just had a couple of nearly’s)

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

I’m only jealous you managed to get out. As you can see from that photo, we had a wee fall of snow and so even getting to a summit parking place is nigh on impossible, never mind getting up anything.

Andy, MM0FMF
(Just north of Moscow)

In reply to M0YDH:

Just had a pair of Boot Chains donated free of charge from a colleague at work,they are used but perfectly operational. (He has just been issued with new ones)

So long as I can reach the parkspot,I am OK! Just need another pair for Elaine and we are all set!!

Tony