28062 FSK QRM

Just to highlight that 28062 KHZ (popular SOTA QRG) is affected by sporadic strong bursts of FSK printer QRM for short periods of time from somewhere to the east of UK. Regular 1-5 second bursts. Annoying when the TX let’s fly when one is in the middle of getting a signal report!
If you operate on 28062.7 and higher or lower than 28062 and its clear of the FSK. Hopefully the sender is only there for today…

Thank you to all the activators braving the elements today, so many of you out there…

73 Phil G4OBK

5 Likes

It was just as annoying on this end. But thanks for the contact through the noise. Dean ~ K2JB

Thanks very much Dean for the 10m QSO at 1324z from W4C/CM-110 - you were the first SOTA station today that I worked outside the UK on 10m. Just before we worked I spoke to my local friends Dave G3TQQ and Nick G4OOE on G/TW-004, also on the 10m band. Their summit is the nearest to me across the wide valley here, about 17 miles to the south.

Interesting that the bursts of FSK signal were also propagating over the pond as well. Where else I wondered were they heard?

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

I heard the QRM in Barcelona, too. It was enough to keep me from copying the station who spotted there so I moved on. Unfortunate since their signal was plenty Q5 in the clear.
Thanks for the QSO, Phil, and the others last Thursday.

David N6AN

2 Likes

Phil,
I was able to work Nick S2S on G/TW-004 as well as several others in the EU S2S. Propagation was good on 10 & 15. Unfortunately, the WX drove me off my summit and had to cut my activation short.

Dean ~ K2JB

4 Likes

Hi Phil,

It was a very powerful intermittent signal but fortunately I was able to work through the quiet periods and great to get Dean s2s.
Nick G4OOE

1 Like

Sorry, it won’t be going away any time soon. I’ve been reporting that one to Intruder Watch for decades. It’s a “waverider” beacon. The Dutch manufacturer is completely unapologetic about plunking it in the middle of an amateur-exclusive portion of spectrum.

3 Likes

Hi John, thanks for those details. Where does one go to report such QRM?

Geoff vk3sq

Don’t waste your time, Geoff. Intruder Watch in IARU Region 3 exists in name only. In informal talks with ACMA, they have confirmed that 15 years of observations basically got shoved in the round file, as they are angry about what they perceive as an inadequate budget from parliament. If a
particular intruder also likely affects Region 1 (Europe & Africa, basically), I often drop an email to whomever the acting head of IARU Region 1 Intruder Watch is at the moment, as the program is much more robust here, but I seldom receive a reply.

1 Like