22 April 2023 - 12th Trans-Atlantic S2S Event

Hi all,

It’s been a long time since I did radio as an activator !
My hip hurts a lot and I haven’t had surgery yet !

But I will still participate in the 12th Trans-Atlantic S2S event from a drive-up summit 95km from my home, between 12 and 14 UTC :wink:

I will be using an 817nd and a vertical JPC-12 from the F/CR-257.
(Freq & mode on alert).

73, Éric
F5JKK

5 Likes

Weather’s currently looking poor here for Saturday but if it’s not too bad I’ll try and get on a local summit.
If it’s not raining and the cable gods have been appeased I’ll try FT4.

1 Like

Who forgot to arrange the propagation??

9 Likes

Nothing heard from America. I think Phil @G4OBK was my best DX from CT3/MI-006

3 Likes

Still trying for a UK US S2S…

4 Likes

3 Likes

Yeah! So much for working transatlantic, I was working JA! Lol

8 Likes

Good to hear that nothing spectacular happend hi and my decision to get up early and drive to OE/ST and do most likely one of the last snowshoe hikes this season.

A great day :smiley:

Heard VP8VPC VP8VPC - Callsign Lookup by QRZ Ham Radio
on 10m but no chance to break the pileup.

Looking forward to your stories :popcorn:

11 Likes

17m was good on FT4.
20m seemed really bad (possibly a loose wire in my balun).
I listened for @KF0GUS on 20m FT8 but I didn’t see him on my screen.

I managed 4 US QSOs on 15m from G/NP-028, 2 of them S2S. Most NA activators were very weak or non-existent. I got plenty of EU S2S so not a bad afternoon. I tried 10m but got no spots - Propquest shows the MUF only briefly got that high.

4 Likes

Pretty wimpy here…but two s2s EU contacts…very weak signals today. 17M seemed to be the best band…

Heard lots of home EU stations…

So rest and relaxation now…very hot on the summit today…

Pete
WA7JTM

5 Likes

Seems that we both were calling him exactly at the same time, so he could not figure out any of the two of us. :joy:

Ahoi
Pom

2 Likes

i spent a lot of time for installing the antenna, rhombedric loops 10-15-20. i was really tired. at the end the loops resulted slack. I started to call anyway with kx3 5watt and internal ATU Active. I managed some qso on 20 and 15 only European stations. at half activation, I saw that a wire on output 2:1 transformer wasn’t connected. After having connected him I managed AB4PP and K4DY on 15mt cw… thanks at all!!! next time I preassemble in two parts the antenna at home.

Roberto iw2obx

8 Likes

This was my third S2S event and I was better prepared than I was for the others. I had nice weather on the west side of the pond in Virginia to start but with a threat of rain later (which came to pass) I was packing things up shortly after 14z.

I agree the bands were in disappointing shape. I wound up with contacts only on 15m and 17m (never tried 20), all on CW. Thanks for putting up with my Morse! I am glad I brought a backup key because my first one started acting up.

As I have been doing for these events, I brought out a little more power: the Hardrock 50W amp. The updated version IC-705 interface made it easy to hop around on the bands to chase S2S with the 404-UL antenna and tuner built into the amp. Lots of cables however.

I find the trans-Atlantic S2S contacts very satisfying. In the photo with my paper log you can see a note “not heard” next to M1BUU/P was but I tried again later and made the contact :smile: I really appreciate the other operators working through with repeats to make sure the information was exchanged and wound up with four S2S to stations in the UK and one each in Spain and Germany.

9 Likes

Nice day but crummy propagation on W1/AM300. Thought maybe my set-up had a problem. Worked @MW0IDX and @M1BUU kinda heard me but couldn’t complete our exchange, both on 17m. Very weak with QSB. Worked @SM5LNE and @CT2IWW on 15m, also very weak sigs. Also got @N1AIA but we were about 30 miles apart. Tee it up again next time!

6 Likes

I’ve just spent an age manually inputting my log into the new database (first time for me) and it’s all disappeared. :sob:

Anyway, I’ll pick out the juicy bits before I try to submit my log again.

I stayed on 18.083MHz throughout my activation, I’ve done search and pounce during other events and I always seem to do poorly.

First in the log was K4DY, followed straight after by KU4R, I was off to a good start! Five minutes later, I worked 7N1FRE in Japan. Shortly after, I added JA2ORW to the log.

Other DX logged included
KT8Y, WC0Y, UA0SDX, WB2FUV, K6HPX, VE9VIC, AB4PP, WX1S, JG1BOK, JG0AWE, KK8A, W4NA, K8JYG, VE2JCW, KE8HXE and 4X1WQ.

I managed S2S with -

YU1WC/P YU/CS-046
MW0IDX/P GW/NW-054
LZ1GJ/P LZ/RO-144
N1ZF W1/MR-003
WN3F W4V/SH-024
IK2LEY/P I/LO-448
G4OOE/P G/TW-004
IU3QEZ/P I/ER-069
G8CXK/P G/WB-008
WA7JTM W7A/MN-095

Having not done any Morse for a month, my brain was easily fried, so apologies!

A good day and even the sun came out!

73, Colin

RBN hits, (some missing due to 100 rows max)

13 Likes

Twasn’t me, Tom. When I made up this day, it all seemed so nice.

It would be the warmest day of the year so far with sunshine and 24 °C. Visibility would be more than 74 km. SN would be 114, SFI 151. I would bring my vertical multiband DX magnet to a summit. It would be a wonderful climb, by far the most scenic around. I would deploy the DX magnet on the summit viewtower at 25 m agl. I would have a freshly brewed cuppa while working the pile-up of dozens of hundreds NA S2S stations. SSB, notabene. Every single point of this plan worked well, except the DX SSB S2S stations.

DM/NS-127 (I gave 129, but I was on 127).

S2S:
2E0BIA/P on G/SP-004 and almost another S2S with a joint activator on the same ref. But after they handed over, I only got DIL of the other callsign and nothing was heard after.
DL1AIW/p on DM/NS-115 (complete, yeah!)

Looking forward to the November event.

Ahoi
Pom

5 Likes

Thanks Colin!!

Conditions were pretty marginal today so it was great to work you here in Arizona!!!

Pete
WA7JTM

2 Likes

Thanks for the S2S!

Thanks for my sole EU S2S today, Richard. I’m glad you caught my attention! 15 was the band for me. Javier, EA2GM, called me, but, alas, I could not copy him well enough.
OK1MCS was only loud enough to know he was on frequency. So-so conditions.
I got four G4IRN rbn hits and one G3XBI hit between 1452Z and 1609Z. No others in EU.
On 17 I heard M1BUU (I called several times) and G8CXK. V85T had a very nice signal, but too much competition on 18.086.
V51MA was good copy on 28380. 8P6PE gave me 51 on 20404 from park 8P0013. PY2GUT and LU2HDM were on frequencies occupied by state side QSOs.
I was driving a 15 meter half square with 5 watts, the KX3 tuner matching on the other bands.
Christian, F4WBN, chased me on 15 and Alfonso, EA4R, chased me on 12.
If this event had happened five or six weeks ago it would have been an S2S frenzy. Still fun!
73, David N6AN

5 Likes