20m to VK/ZL to EU open daily to QRP - give 20m a go! (Part 3)

Thanks Phil, I was astonished when Andrew VK1AD sent a message via Signal saying I had alerted for 052 instead of 016. Completely unintentional error and a summit I’ve driven past but never tried to activate. Once RBNHole finds a spot from an RBN monitor it matches that with whatever alert it finds and spots you for the alerted summit.

I later corrected the alert, but had to do that using the ipad as the iphone did not give me the web version of sotawatch in a format that allows for editing, or did I fumble that too! Wouldn’t be surprised if I did.

I’m finally home after my week long trip, 10 activations and a lot of fun, including Mt Donna Buang in the snow with my adult daughter Amie. Who took advantage of the opportunity to become a kid again, building a snowman! Also activated six new uniques and got at least 3 new completes.

This afternoon some of the EU signals were actually at s9 on the meter. F4WBN, EA4M and perhaps EA4R were very strong. EA2LU was solid at s7-8. Promise of what is to come in September I hope?

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,
sotl.as lets you edit and delete or add both spots and alerts via a smartphone - whether iOS or Android as it’s a mobile sensing web server page.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Ed,
Thanks - I should have tried that. The problem was partly that by the time I wanted to edit it the web version on the iphone and the view in sotagoat would not display an old alert. But I just looked - sotl.as has an option to view old alerts and I was still able to update mine despite being about 10 hours old. That was using the ipad. Tested also using the iphone - all good. Stored in nonvolatile memory for next time!

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

2 Likes

Andrew tnx fer both QSO.
Firts I call you at 90°…539…with qsb and local noise.
Then I moved to 270°…a solid 569 was your signal.
It seems that good conditions towards VK/ZL are already here!!

73 de EA4R Alfonso

1 Like

Hi Andrew

Thanks fer QSO, your signal this morning were low at the time of our QSO I passed 339 but some time later I heard your QSO with EA4R and EA2LU and your signal improved to 559. I always hear VK and ZL stations early in the morning via LP on 20 meters.

Always a pleasure working you on a SOTA!

73 de Rick EA4M

2 Likes

Hi Alfonso, thanks for that report and I usually hear a very good signal from you and Rick, also Jorge EA2LU. He was a good signal today too.

Next time!

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

1 Like

Hi Rick,

thanks for calling again with the new report, always a good signal from you.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

I’ll try and crawl out of bed and join in.

Last time I could hear several VK/ZL SOTA stations on SSB but they didn’t seem to be able to hear me. I worked a fixed station (well, 2) no problem but I think they had a beam antenna.

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for the easy QSO this morning!
As usually LP brings better sigs than direct, after our QSO your signals up to S7!!!, perhaps gray line?
In the whatsapp group Alf EA4R said worked you SP, then I turn my beam this way and you was there
RST 329 for me…
I´m far away to chase SOTA last time, but always is a big pleasure hear your callsign that reminds me the good times shared on that mountain with a “terrifying” name, called “Ortzanzurieta” !! :grinning:
See you soon, take care Andrew
Best regards
Jorge
EA2LU

2 Likes

Hi Jorge,

Yes the LP certainly seems to be the one we were using. I was surprised how good the conditions were. Earlier in the day I was on a different summit and 40m was behaving very oddly. I could not hear a vk9L activator at all, but later in the day he called me. That was VK2GPL/vk9L at Lord Howe Island, not very far away.

I also remember well the activation on that unpronounceable mountain. Maybe I’ll go there again one day. I certainly hope so.

Let’s hope to make more contacts soon. I heard from EA2BD that he has activated the Pica de Ten which I activated with Juan EA1AER later in my trip in 2019. I’d like to see that one again too.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

2 Likes

30 min into the 20m SSB activation, so far only 2 VK and 1 ZL.

Sunsets at 0745 UTC.

Edit - no EU chaser QSOs on 40m or 20m.

Ambient temp was a chilly 5 degrees C :cold_face:

Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

I couldn’t hear you at all on 20m or 40m, and I guess you didn’t hear me calling CQ either. I was running about 25W.
I only managed 4 QSOs on 20m, all very quiet and difficult to copy.

There was cloud drifting over the summit when I arrived and it was very windy but warm. The cloud lifted by the time I packed up and the rain arrived as I was driving back home.

2 Likes

Hi Pete

Indeed, I listened for you on 14.317 MHz, unfortunately nothing heard. There was a contest station operating on 14.310.

Weather permitting I will try again next Sunday.

73 Andrew.

1 Like

I will try 20m LP propagation this coming weekend with activations of Mt Cowangerong VK2/ST-001 (8 points) from 0530 UTC 24 Sep and Mt Stromlo VK1/AC-043 from 0600 UTC 25 Sep 22.

Sunset is at 0805 UTC.

Last Saturday LP was open at 0600 UTC then later started to faded around 0730 UTC.

Anyone else interested in a VK - EU S2S opportunity?

73, Andrew VK1AD

2 Likes

Ooh go on then :grin:. I’ll have a think about a suitable summit and let you know Andrew. I fancy a change from my usual TW-002, but that would have an impact on my sleep!

2 Likes

Alert placed for Sunday Andrew. Apologies in advance. I’m not sure who will be grumpiest when the alarm goes off; me or the wife. At least you’ll only have me to deal with :wink: :grin:

1 Like

Some info if it provides a hint for your late activation, last Sunday (18th) during the JA Sota event I worked a few OC stations:
ZL at 06:12 in 14 MHz,
VK3 at 07:04 in 18 MHz
VK2 at 08:49 in 14 MHz

Band conditions are promising. Good luck!

3 Likes

I would like to talk to you again, but I am wary to put an alert, because I know myself and it is often much too easy in the morning to turn around in bed once more …
Also the weather forecast doesn’t look too good.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

3 Likes

wx permitting, I’ll try to be QRV on DM/BW-099 with 15w from my KX3 and a vertical EFHW-dipole for 20 metres at 6:00 utc.
The weather forecast is variable, probably it’ll be a last minute decision :neutral_face:

73, Roman

1 Like

same here … i will probably be QRV on Sunday from 05:30 to 07:30 on OE/OO-084

1 Like