20m to VK/ZL to EU open daily to QRP - give 20m a go! (Part 1)

Hi Ed,
I listened in from Yass while some of the contacts were made. Signals from EU were not strong at my place, but I did make a contact with an activator.

Andrew’s route up Mt Taylor is not the southern route you took from Sulwood drive, it is on the north side of Mt Taylor starting at the water reservoir in Chifley. Parts of that route are much steeper than the southern route. I prefer the southern route, myself!

I may be able to activate on Wednesday evening (around 0700-0800) so hopefully will join in some long path fun.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

3 Likes

Hi Matt,
Thanks for nice QSO today, very fine signal here in France, beaming long path.
Best regards,
Chris - F4WBN

Worked VK, W and PY on 30m this morning. The DX Heat map indicated that 30m would be better than 20m. Plus I’m a bit obsessed with 30m.

I’ll try to give GB20SOTA an airing on 20m from Saturday onwards.

1 Like

Hi Tom, listened for you on the 30m frequency you spotted for cw, unfortionately did not hear you at all. Will listen for you saturday

For all activators, I will be listening every night this week, 20M and 40, from 6.00utc.

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

will try 20m CW on Sat and Sun around 7:00-8:00 UTC.
Saturday location is in a forrest, but currently looking for a cleaner peak for Sunday morning. I am usually around 14.064-14.066.

Takes a while to get to the peak :slight_smile:

Hope to work you soon
73s
Ingo

1 Like

Let’s try SSB, Andrew. I’m having a day off and I am willing to spend the morning on a summit.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

Hi Pom,
Currently for tomorrow morning (UTC) the following are in SW3 as alerts:

If Andrew VK2DA gets out as well, that’ll add to the G/EU <-> VK/ZL S2S fun!

73 Ed.

3 Likes

You obviously have an eye for the finer details, Ed. I didn’t recognise it was DA-Andrew announcing here but AD-Andrew alerting on SW3.
It’s sure gonna be fun.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

Andrew VK1AD and Andrew VK1DA joint activations are fun! It gets a little confusing for chasers. :smiley:

More recently Andrew VK1DA has obtained a new 2nd callsing VK2DA.

Cheers

Andrew VK1AD
QF44MP

1 Like

Hi Matt,
thanks for the contact on easter sunday. It was really amazing for me as a newbie to work ZL and VK in ssb that morning. And this only with 10W and a simple wire of 5m on a glass fibre pole!

73, Chris DL3EC

3 Likes

If the wx is as forecast an activation at VK2/ST-053 is feasible. Current temp at 7AM is 13C and last night’s thunderstorm and rain is hopefully not going to occur again today. I’ll post an alert in hope of it being possible. I will be operating as VK1DA as I always do. CW and SSB. Probably 20m and 30m for dx.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

Argh. The 1DA vs 1AD confusion got me! Tried contacting 1AD twice before realising that was the wrong acronym!

==

Decided to play POTA tonight and see how ZL to North America was playing on 14MHz. Not as good as Europe - but 3 contacts with Alaska, New Jersey & Hawaii. But signal reports received 52, 25, 22 - so not great compared to what I’ve been receiving from Europe. But the path to North America is also, somewhat open.

Lots of VKs to make up the numbers, and a German SOTA station for good luck!

20w, endfed 40m halfwave on 20m (4.6m counterpoise). 6m SOTA pole. Good takeoff, broadside atop a 30m terminal moraine with lake beyond.

3 Likes

Condx: :star_struck:
Activity: :star_struck:

2 Likes

^^^ At that was the DG! ^^^

Tnx!

1 Like

Tried to join in this morning but couldn’t hear any of you on SSB. I think I was an hour or two too early for the propagation, and the other activators.
Didn’t see any VK/ZL on FT8, DK/DG was very weak, YO/LZ was very strong.

Which way should I point my antenna for best chances?

1 Like

All my contacts with stations with directional antennas have been long-path.

That help?

1 Like

I had it pointing NW/SE from IO83 - I think that was at 90 degrees to you guys :woozy_face:

1 Like

Another bumper 20m long path opening from 05:43 to 07:03 UTC.

39 SSB QSOs on 20m and 6 on 40m

Countries worked (12): Portugal, UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Hungary, Italy, Slovenia, Belgium, Czechia and New Zealand.

Summit to Summit QSOs (6): ZL1LMT, ZL1THH, DG7ACF, DD5LP, VK1DA and VK3EQ. I worked four new summits :slight_smile:

Equipment: FT-857D @ 25 watts, 20m 1/4 wave GP and an 8Ah 4S LIFEPO4.

Operating position at Yellow Rabbit Hill VK1/AC-039

Thanks all chasers and activators.

73 Andrew VK1AD

7 Likes

Hi Pom,

That seat and view looks just like the one at Blender DL/AL-149 (see below) but you were on DM/TH-064!

I heard people working you this morning and could just tell you were there but not strong enough for me to work you S2S from DL/AM-001 on 20m.

A good morning’s activation. I managed an S2S with Andrew VK1AD, thanks to Andy ZL1TM telling him where I was, I think (I had a solid S5 carrier on Andrew’s chosen frequency).

I could hear ZL1LMT but he couldn’t hear me I think (or I wasn’t strong enough to get over the other chasers).

The VK/ZL contacts this morning were ZL1TM, VK3DET, VK1AD/P, VK5CZ and VK2IO. I did see the other Andrew VK1DA spotted but he was on CW each time I saw the spot. After switching to 40m, I had 37 chasers call me in 20 minutes.

So there is no doubt the 20m band between Europe and ANZ is good at the moment, especially from 0600-0700 UTC

73 Ed.

4 Likes