2024 SOTA Kentucky Workshop

I’m happy to announce we will be hosting the second annual SOTA Kentucky Workshop the weekend of April 13, 2024! Much like last year, come and go as you can and we’ll host a presentation at 9:30amET Saturday morning to learn more about Summits on the Air together.

MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS TODAY: Kingdom Come State Park has opened the reservation window for our group! Simply mention that you are with “Summits on the Air” for that weekend and they’ll allow you to make a campsite reservation. Please call the office at 606.589.2478 to make your reservations (this is different from the phone number listed on their website, but it’s the correct one). Kingdom Come State Park maintains a primitive campground with limited running water and privy toilets, so please plan accordingly. The town of Cumberland, KY is minutes away from the entrance to the park; restaurants and a grocery store are nearby.

Please let me know if you’ve reserved a campsite so we can make an attendee list.

We’ll look forward to welcoming any and all that can attend to explore the Eastern Mountains of the Bluegrass State together. There are plenty of previously-activated summits within an 1.5 hour drive of the campground (and many unactivated to explore as well!)

4 Likes

We’ve got several ops signed up for campsites already with plenty more to choose from! Looks like it’s best to call the office for a reservation during the week as their weekend coverage staff may not all be up to speed on our arrangement. Best to talk to either Megan or Sherry.

The current campsite RSVP list is:

12 O’Clock Overlook - Michael, N4DCW and Ron, NR3E
Cavers’ Hump - Pat, WW4D
Baseball Field - Roy WN3F
Campsite 6 - Walk, KK4DF
Campsite 5 - Bob, W4BTH
Campsite 4 - Jamie, AA4K
Offsite - Scott, N4AAJ and Betsy, N4AJJ

2 Likes

Is any camper able to share the site with me?

It’s around a 10 hour drive for me. I’ll probably arrive late in the day on Wednesday so I have full days for activations starting Thursday through Saturday, and head back on Sunday.

Thanks!

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

Hi Paula, you are welcome to share my site though I only have it reserved for Friday through Sunday. It is “the baseball field site” - I have never been to the campground but I will just have my VW hatchback and a hammock so I imagine there will be plenty of space.

Roy

1 Like

Roy, thank you very much. When I am back in town, I will see if I can find a spot for Wednesday and Thursday. I also may stay through Sunday and head back Monday.

I love the names for these campsites!

73 Paula k9ir

2 Likes

We are just over two months away from the 2024 SOTA Kentucky Workshop!

As of today (2/6/24) there are only 5 campsites remaining at Kingdom Come State Park for the weekend of April 13, 2024. Please call the office at 606.589.2478 to make your reservations (this is different from the phone number listed on their website, but it’s the correct one).

At 9:00amET on Saturday morning, April 13, 2024 at the upper pavilion (first pavilion you pass when you enter the main campground area), I will host an hour-long “Intro to KY SOTA” that will include information on area summits as well as a “What’s in N4DCW’s SOTA Pack?” presentation. We’ll conclude with a discussion on SOTA generally and answer any questions your may have about Summits on the Air!

NEW FOR 2024: Sunday Morning Pancake Breakfast
Before you head out for your final summits of the weekend, stop by the 12 O’Clock Campsite between 7:30am-9:30am for a pancake breakfast! Pancakes and syrup will be provided; feel free to bring anything else you’d like to prepare for yourself!

Current attendee listing:

Name Call Site
Michael N4DCW 12 O’Clock Overlook
Ron NR3E 12 O’Clock Overlook
Pat WW4D Cavers Hump
Dave KN4OK Cavers Hump
Roy WN3F Baseball Field
Paula K9IR Baseball Field
Walt KK4DF 6
Jamie AA4K 4
Bob W4BTH 5
Scott N4AAJ Off Site
Betsy N4AJJ Off Site
RSVP for Saturday Only
Ken KX9U
Dennis N4DD

Looking forward to seeing everyone in April!

4 Likes

We are just three and a half short weeks away from gathering in Cumberland, KY for the 2024 SOTA Kentucky Workshop! As you are making preparations for the weekend, I wanted to give a few more details about our time together in Eastern Kentucky!

As with any SOTA campout, come and go as you please! (I’ll arrive in the area Thursday evening and leave Sunday afternoon.) There are only two planned events that weekend:

“A Philosophy of SOTA” by Michael, N4DCW
Saturday, April 13, 2024 - 9:00amET - Upper Pavilion (first pavilion you pass as you enter the main campground area).

This presentation is designed for new and advanced SOTA activators alike. We’ll discuss activation methods, area summits, and other SOTA-y things.

Pancake Breakfast
Sunday April 14, 2024 - 7:30amET - 9:30amET - 12 O’clock Overlook Campsite (highest campsite on the entrance road, directly across from the 12 O’clock Overlook trailhead)

Pancakes and syrup will be provided; feel free to bring anything else you’d like to prepare for yourself before heading out!

A note on meals: The campground is a five minute drive from Cumberland, KY. There is a grocery store there as well as several restaurants. Eastern Kentucky has been hit with several natural disasters in the last few years, and is the poorest area in the state. I highly recommend visiting the local grocery for supplies and/or eating out if you can - any local economic impact in this area goes a long way.

Attendee Listing:

Name Call Site
Michael N4DCW 12 O’Clock Overlook
Pat WW4D Cavers Hump
Dave KN4OK Cavers Hump
Roy WN3F Baseball Field
Paula K9IR Baseball Field
Walt KK4DF 6
Carlos KB4CO 4
Jamie AA4K 4
Bob W4BTH 5
Ken KX9U 3
Barry KD9ZHD 3
Scott N4AAJ Off Site
Betsy N4AJJ Off Site
RSVP Saturday
Dennis N4DD

I’m looking forward to our weekend together! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Michael, N4DCW

3 Likes

THIS WEEKEND

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and THANK YOU in advance to all chasers.

Michael, N4DCW

1 Like