2023 SOTA Goal Complete

My 2023 Ham Radio Goal was to log 1000 morse code QSOs as a SOTA Activator. To achieve this goal I had to change the way I operated. Usually I only work a couple of bands and spend 15-30 minutes activating before hiking on or continuing to the next summit. For this I had to spend more time on summit calling CQ.

For a long time I didn’t think I was going to make the goal. Too many other things and not getting out enough. I think around the 600th QSO I finally thought that I might be able to get it. Then finally in November I landed 5 QSOs away from 1000. I knew I just needed one outing in December to get it.

Last Saturday I drove up to Hampton Butte (W7O/CE-074), a 6 pointer plus 3 winter bonus, for my final activation. It was wicked windy and cold up there. I started on 40 meters and Josh WU7H grabbed the 1000th QSO. It was very cold up there so after 20 meters I took a break in the car to warm back up. Then finished with a handful of QSOs on 10m, 15m, and 17m.

As it stands now I have 1021 cw QSOs for the year with 327 unique chaser callsigns. Thank you to everyone who chased me this year. I couldn’t have done this without you!

video: https://youtu.be/n00f2teoDy0

73 de Tim N7KOM

29 Likes

Wow, great accomplishment and very cool picture!! Also, it is now my Windows backgroud! Thanks!

1 Like

Congrats, Tim! Good work. But the year’s not over yet. Get a few more.
Never give up !
73, John, K6YK

1 Like

Love it Tim, and nice job! Fun to have different goals like this to add challenge, fun, etc… and definitely so many great chaser to help along the way! 73, James

1 Like