2018 VK1 Winter SOTA QSO Party

Hello from VK land downunder,

This notice is intended for readers in VK ZL and JA.

The 2018 VK1 Winter SOTA QSO Party will be held on Saturday 4 August 2018 where VK1 activators have the opportunity to freeze their butts off on a cold chilly mountain peak. Average overnight temp for August is minus five (-5) degrees +/- one or two degrees :slight_smile:

This year’s event will commence at 9 am local for 2.5 - 3 hours hours of SSB, CW and FM S2S madness. You can expect to see operations on 3.5 MHz through to 2.4 GHz.

Subject to no rain, I am hoping for a large turnout in the order of 15 activators on local and distant VK1 peaks.

SOTA activators and chasers around VK, ZL and JA or indeed anyone anywhere in the world are welcome to join in on the premier VK1 Winter S2S extravaganza.

You may find one or two activators attempting digital mode activations or coordinating opportunities to work S2S and chasers via FM satellites.

How do you get involved? Simple, post an alert now showing your interest/intention and later join us on the day.

I will update this notice closer to the planned event.

73 Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

Count me in Andrew, looking forward to some S2S with VK1.

John VK6NU

1 Like

Thanks John, good to have VK6 on-board. Incidentley this weekend’s Wx forecast is for snow down to 800 metres ASL. A cold and blustery weekend ahead.

Cheers
Andrew

Better save a Summit for that day Andrew. Your 9 am start time, is that utc roll over to the 5th I think.
Ian vk5cz …

Have put this in my diary and sounds like a good way to get some S2S points. Will think of a summit closer to the date.

Hi Ian

No, this year we are holding the event on Saturday 4 Aug 18, local time is 0900 am or 2300h UTC 3 Aug 18.

We are looking forward to having a couple of VK5s join in on the fun.

73 Andrew VK1AD

Thanks Andrew I checked the calendar last of course, after I asked the question.
Cheers
CZ …

HA HA, my Saturday afternoon activation at Boonering Hill, 21C forecast with blues skies and sunshine.

Downside to living in Perth though, my kids grew up and never knew what snow was like until they went on school trips, funnily enough to Canberra :slight_smile: .

John VK6NU

Hi all VK ZL and JA activators

Re: VK1 Winter SOTA QSO Party 4 August 2018

With 1 week to go we have 7 unique summit alerts. Please show your interest by posting a SOTA Alert for Saturday 4 August 2018.

73 Andrew VK1AD

I notice that Tom, M1EYP is planning to join in, but at a rather optimistic time to make any contacts with VK1. Still, having someone call CQ SOTA for the VK1 winter QSO party in the UK should be an interesting audio recording. (Or video, Tom!)
:slight_smile:

Nice to see Katsu JP3DGT has joined in. Also thanks Warren VK3BYD for the first VK3 to post an alert.

Great to see Dx intetest from JA, ZL and G.

73 Andrew VK1AD

John, that is one of my goals for 2018… VK6S2S (along with /MM and /AM, obviously not S2s with them) so I will be keen as mustard to get you.

Wade

VK1MIC

You never know with radio. Unlikely - but you never know. Anyway, I’ve deleted my alert. I’m now very busy with gigs from now until after the weekend. Hope the event goes well.

I think your alerted time was in deep darkness here. But still no harm in having activity in the UK linked to the vk1 event.
I’m hoping we can make a contact again in the s2s fest in October.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH