2 months of SOTA introducing myself!

Hello, I’ve been soaking up all the wonderful information here on the reflector and thought it time to introduce myself. I earned my Technician in May and a week and a half ago my Amateur Extra. I split my time between Ohio and Colorado! In the past two months I have had 20+ activations (all VHF with a FT60R and a roll-up Jpole) and I am having a blast! I recently purchased a FT818ND but have not had a chance to put it through its paces. I am hoping the FT818ND will help me in tough spots where VHF is tough. I’ll post some questions in the equipment section.

Erik

12 Likes

Hello Erik, welcome aboard! That all sounds good, I’m sure the FT818 will bring you lots more fun.

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Erik! Listening for you on the (HF) bands.
73, Ken Tucson, AZ

1 Like

Welcome Erik and congrats on the speedy transition to extra.

One of its privileges is access to 1x2 and 1x3 call signs. Potentially, makes operating for you and others easier than a 2x3.

Check out this ARRL link if interested. Vanity Call Signs

1 Like

Hi Erik @KE8OKM,

Welcome to SOTA! Sounds like you have been having fun activating already - it soon gets addictive, eh! :slight_smile:

I’ve also just bought an FT-818 to replace an older FM only handie. Hope to be more active on HF soon. For VHF I find a 6m pole and SlimJim work well.

73, Simon