18650 Batteries and Charger

Hi I’m considering getting a trUSDX radio with a battery case. Can anyone point me in the right direction for reliable 18650 batteries and charger. A lot of those on Amazon have complaints about them.

1 Like

I’m using a iMAX B6 charger since about 8 or 10 years. It’s a universal charger for LiPo, LiFe, LiIon, NiMH, NiCd and Pb. A balancer is included. Maybe this is not the cheapest one, but you will be prepared for other batteries in the future. I have also the optional data coupler and check the charging via a PC. Of course charging is also possible without a PC.

If you order such a device be sure to get the original (take a trustworthy dealer). There are also some fakes available.

73, Ludwig

5 Likes

Buying 18650s can be fraught with danger as there are many charlatans selling cruddy product. I would avoid Amazon unless it says sourced from an Amazon warehouse. If Amazon hold stock then the company/product is normally more reliable. Amazon just want to make money and if their 3rd party supplier attracts complaints etc. Amazon will drop them as they want your money not hassle.

Or buy from a battery distributor in the UK which offers carrier delivery so you don’t get into any grief with Royal Mail deciding they don’t like the packaging. Also buy on your credit card so you get Consumer Credit Act Section 75 protection. That way not only is the vendor responsible for making good if the products are cheap copies that don’t work, it means your Credit Card company are JOINTLY and SEVERALLY liable. So if the company wont refund or replace then the Credit Card company is responsible for 100% of the cost.

Buy a good brand name and don’t go for the biggest capacity you can see as even the good companies can be a bit iffy with specs!

Myself, I have acquired used laptop power packs and stripped them for 18650 cells. Expect 75% of the cells in a pack to be acceptable with a few gems and some that are knackered. Sometimes you strike out, the last pack I dismembered had 12x 2800mAhr 18650s and they’re all a bit rubbishy TBH.

See https://reflector.sota.org.uk/t/using-18650-liion-cells/20958

2 Likes

Hi,

3x18650 from a refurbishing battery (laptop, etc), battery serie holder 1,50 euros
BMS for 3s less than 1 euro.
Fuse and fuse holder
Connector in my case is powerpole

Charge it with a 12v power supply.

6 Likes

That’s just beautiful Jon.

1 Like

I have bought cheap, from Grandado, and also premium from fogstar. https://www.fogstar.co.uk/

The geeen one is Grandado. The black one in the kx2 was home made from 3 cells purchased from fogstar. I think they are sanyo or panasonic cells. I fitted balance charge leads to my home made one, the other one contains a BMS.

I haven’t conducted scientific load tests, but they both last well in the field and I dont notice any difference in performance, so maybe I got lucky!

3 Likes

Hi Paul, I bought the batteries on Ebay and the charger on Amazon, and so far I haven’t had any problems, in fact I always use it when I go on holidays.
Manu EC7ZT

3 Likes

What’s the battery specs and do they last long?

1 Like

This is generally good advice except it only applies to items costing between £100 and £30000. Even if you buy £100 of cells I’m not sure you are covered as the individual items cost less. Even without the legal protection, purchases on credit and debit cards do have the option of a chargeback and filing a dispute with the card company. Also be aware that if you use your credit card via Paypal you probably lose your legal rights, although you can file a dispute with Paypal.

1 Like

Another option is AA NiMH cells. I power my rigs with 10 of these in a holder. A set of these is plenty for a SOTA activation. They will be heavier than the Lithium but if you already have some and a charger it might at least get you going easily.

1 Like

As @DH8WN I use imax b6, I have the copy and the original I have not found differences in the load, only in the quality of the buttons. Batteries like @EA3BV recycled from old laptops. I have several configurations, from 3 cells:

to 60 cells:

it is for very short walks

9 Likes

Paul, I attached a pic of the battery, 3,7V and they long is amazing, I can tell you that I never replace them when I go to my activity, but I always carry it some of spares never knows.
Manu.

1 Like

Chinese IMAX B6 works perfect, I own one 5 years ago to charge lead, li-po, etc and FB.

@EA7GV FB your batteries!!

2 Likes

If someone has the same problem, here is the solution

And can be used to jump start the Universe :wink:

3 Likes

I took a chance and ordered these

So far so good, and a holder for the batteries here

I replaced the wiring with thicker wire and added a PP connector.

A good match for my QCX mini, MTR or KX1.
Roger MW0IDX

6 Likes

I don’t know if the universe, but the car yes, verified :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi,

yes I have an iMAX B6 charger. If you want some LiPos I have a few from a Dyson battery pack you can have.

MM0YCJ

1 Like

I have been using 18650 cells from a Dyson battery pack now for years. Jump on this one!

clicking here I get "YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE THINGIVERSE.
THERE IS NOTHING AWESOME HERE…

YET."

1 Like