17/12/21, DL/PA9CW/p SOTA Tour DM/NW.

Well done Tonnie on today’s round - I hear you well on No.4 summit GW/NW-230. Going well - I hope you make your final four summits tomorrow.

73 Phil

Phil,

Thanks for all the calls. Vy strong signals today.
Four summits and 128 QSO’s. That’s really a lot.
It was sunny and about 0 degrees. But no problem when you hike up and down the summits.
At the third summit the only place was in te shadow. And it was vy cold. So I gave only 599 and TU. So everyone had a change to get there points.
The last summit, I arrived to late. So I made a short run. Sorry for that. When I hiked back, I missed a crossing, because it was dark. So I was a bit lost and I was an hour later at the carplace. But I made it save.

Thanks all chasers. Cu tomorrow. I will try to activate 4 summits and then going home.

73 - Tonnie - PA9CW

4 Likes

Last day in DM.
I activated only three summits today.
At the first summit, with a nice tower, and a picnic table. It was vy cold, about -7 degrees. I had a huge pile-up.
The second summit was a long walk. Also vy cold.
The last summit is a strange one. It’s nearby a hospital. You have to drive further for parking by the Spiegelslusturm. And then walk about 800 meters to the “summit”.
Today I made 96 QSO’s on 3 summits. It was to late to go to the last summit. It was already getting dark.

I will post my video when it’s done.

Thanks all chasers.

73 - Tonnie - PA9CW.
IMG_6046

5 Likes

Again thanks all chasers. Here is my video. With 7 minutes CW sound from the KX3. Maybe you on it :slight_smile:

73 - Tonnie - PA9CW.

7 Likes

Great job Tonnie on your winter DXpedition. The video in my opinion depicts a really good example of how a competent CW man handles the SOTA pile up. Although as a contester yourself I see you make use of the keyboard for sending.

So if you are reading this and you are learning the code pick up a pencil and see how many callsigns you can pick out of the pile and if you can follow what’s happening and who’s transmitting at the time.

It looks a good area to go to and not too difficult access nice summits with places to sit and to fix your antenna pole to as well.

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

Hello Tonie,
thank you for the really nice and interesting video! I can remember these summits very well. But I could only read single letters of the CW music…
Merry Christmas and hny, 73 Lutz

1 Like

Hello Tonnie, thanks for your activation video report, it is very good and great to watch. Well done and cheers to you :beers: :beers:

All the best for Xmas and a HNY to you and your family.

Regards, Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Phil,

Thanks. It sure is a nice place for SOTA. And the summits are between 500-800 meters high. And mostly good to reach. And the roads in the area, are also good. You can easily do 3 or 4 summits in the winter. In the summer even more, 5 or 6.

In a pile-up I tried to remember some calls, or parts of a call. But I do notice, that some callers can’t receive me. Or vy hard. So as an activator, you have to call a few times.
The biggest reason I use N1MM is that I can easily upload the log after all activations. And few errors can occur with transferring paper to the SOTA database. So I find it much easier.

73 - Tonnie - PA9CW

2 Likes

Thanks Geoff,

Good luck and cu. 73 - Tonnie - PA9CW