160m coils

Building a Hans Loo Tri band 80 40 20M antenna linked with a 80m coil inverted V DP.

Seems i have been quite good doing the 80m coil just made give a freq of 3.700mhz happy with that on me as my analyzer is telling me

Now for the question as the Loos antenna coil is a 40MM WASTE PIPE WITH 55 TURNS OF 0.75MM OF INSULATED WIRE (awg21) To make a 160m coil does one simply make a coil with 110 turns of same wire and former and then add a turn or take one off till i get roughly what freq am after around 1.930mhz. So when want to do 160m take out the 80 coils and replace with the 160 coils

Very new to doing loading coils.

thanks again for info

As when it is doe will take it up Kitt hill and do me yearly visit to place LOL

2E0FEH

Hi Karl,

Finding a bigger coil for resonance at 160m by trial-and-error should work.

The inductance of a solenoid coil is proportional to the square of the number of turns. Therefore I would start from something like 80 turns. It might even be possible to calculate the required inductance. Let’s see what some wiser men will answer.

73 Heinz, OE5EEP

1 Like

Hi Karl
Maybe you know another calculator, I’m using this
http://deepfriedneon.com/tesla_f_calchelix.html
73 Eric F5JKK

Interesting. Give good indication on length of wire you need in this case .75mm as need about just over 15.5m of wire.

But how do you know its freq its going to work at. is there another cal you can use to find that

thanks again all learning curve and useful information

karl

Hi Karl,

When you have arrived at the correct number of turns for Top Band,
could you not put a removable tap in at 55 turns so you could just
disconnect the link for top band, and reconnect it for the other bands.
It would save you having to change the coil

Best 73 Dave

and less to carry its possible cheers for idea

I have resurrected this topic as I do not wish to hijack the SSTV one by following up MM0FMF’s helpful remarks there.

Thanks for that, Andy. I had noticed the effect on 80m but is has always been within the capacity of the built-in AMU. On 160m there was no sign that a match might be possible anywhere on the band. I think some more experiments at home using the analyser to check optimum frequencies with different mast heights might help. Evidently getting it working on one local hill is unlikely to produce results on other hills with different ground profiles. I suppose a second set of coils would be a realistic solution - I might try a tapped coil but that is something else to go wrong.
Hope today goes well.
Rod

I wonder how you got on with these coils, Karl.
Rod

Morning.

Right me inverted V tri band 80m coiled and 20 40m res working well can also run it up as a vertical with CP wires

The 160m loaded coil vertical also built and working off the 10m squid pole in compare to my 25m long Inverted L LF with traps 80m and 40m antenna is 1S point down but got me into Sweden no problems.

You prob could build a 2nd element and turn it into a inverted V 160LC antenna. One day try me self

Latest one am going to try a 160m LC inverted L its 4m to the coil 21m off but vert must be 5m or more vert section with at least 8 X 5m CP wires. Also gong to try make it res on low part of band with taps to bring the res further up the band.

Making of of these helps

That’s me 160m loading coil for the vertical using 40mm pipe and .5mm double side auto tape. PS take it off the metal bar when doing final reading of the LC the metal will influence it some what giving false readings.

There are two handy calculators on line you can use to reach your goals

karl 2E0FEH

1 Like