145 Alive

145 Alive tomorrow, Saturday 27th Jan, from 1-3pm. Could be a good SOTA opportunity.

5 Likes

I’ve alerted for G/WB-004

1 Like

Listening to this afternoon, same old problem, too many people on the same frequencies trying to do their own thing. A local net in Wilts getting angry with others in the Northern Home Counties and down in Southampton

Yes, it wasn’t great when you’re on top of a hill, even a small one.

A couple of the 145 alive stations were running wide deviation which was splattering over some of the SOTA stations trying to squeeze in between them. One was just calling over and over but didn’t seem to be able to hear anyone calling him.

145 is pretty alive around here anyway, especially at the weekends so it was amusing to hear people saying it was nice to hear people on 2m for a change.

What they mean is “I don’t normally listen to 2m but I have made an effort because of today’s event.” If they continue listening and responding to calls on ordinary days then the band would be “less dead”.

2 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

Possibly because mid-England southwards had a bit of a lift on today.

Yes, lots of Alligators out today. People also didn’t seem to understand how net control works.

I must have got lucky on 2m today from Penvalla (GM/SS-145). I spoke to a few chasers before the 1pm kick off and a couple of my “regulars” at the end of my activation during the event but managed to find a frequency without interfering with anyone else.(I think).
Mostly I did HF today including some groundwave on 20m to Andy MM0FMF on Scald Law (GM/SS-125) 21km away !
Andy
MM7MOX

1 Like

Just as well that worked as I forgot the handy and only had the KX2 with me so no 2m FM. Oh for an 817 :laughing:

Anyway our groundwave contact meant I completed Penvalla GM/SS-145 only 16yr9mth after I 1st activated it. Anything else today (9 new 10m chasers) was a mere bonus.

2 Likes

I’m hoping to get up a few more GM/NS summits this year, we can try and co-ordinate to get you some more completes e.g. Ben Griam Beg GM/NS-091.
Andy
MM7MOX

1 Like

Do you to activate the 3 remaining unactivated GM/NS SOTA summits when you are in the area Andy?

Jimmy M0HGY

Not unless he has webbed feet. Or hover boots. Or rocket shorts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did scout part of the approach to GM/NS-142 from the East last spring with a view to attempting it this year.
A few things need to line up for this to work though.
Andy
MM7MOX

1 Like

I plan to pack all three in my rucsack.
I’m hoping my previous bog-snorkelling experience will stand me in good stead !
Andy
MM7MOX

1 Like

I was unable to get on and chase for family reasons, so I want to ask if there was any SSB activity?

For me, 2m was always about SSB. FM was fine for chatting with locals and later for the occasional SOTA chase, but I was into DXing on SSB and have worked most of western EU and Scandinavia by diligently seeking lifts and spending hours listening on 144.300 in summer waiting for Es from the Mediterranean countries. I’ve even worked phone by aurora, an unforgettable sound! I suspect that far fewer people even have 2m SSB available nowadays and fewer still horizontally mounted beams, but SSB works with vertical, too, so possibly an SSB-only activity day might work?

1 Like

If Cnoc an Daimh Mhor is anything like Meaddie Ridge you will need a submarine! It was soft grass / earth all the way. Typically every step caused my feet to sink deeper than the boot rand and jets of water squirted out of the tread soaking my trousers.

1 Like

I just did 2m FM on Saturday , but have done 2m ssb from a couple of summits in the past. That’s the beauty of the FT818, it does so many different things.
Andy
MM7MOX