14300. Avoid this frequency if you want chasing from me.

Poor action, Andy.
It was just about to get entertaining.

1 Like

Over my dead body! Andy just beat me to the kill switch. The guy has been told of our AUP, if he decides to play nice he will be welcomed back. In the mean time all his posts will be filtered.

2 Likes

His qrz page makes interesting reading, heā€™s only been a Ham since 2020. Maybe someone should complain about him to the ARRL A-1 operators club where heā€™s only been a member for less than a month!

5 Likes

G8TMV,
I donā€™t think that would result in any action as he is only QRMing a website. Here is the nominating process:
Membership is available to all currently active, licensed Amateur Radio operators. Membership comes after nomination by two club members who find the nominee qualified to be a member of this elite group. Membership in the A-1 Operator Club cannot be awarded posthumously. Note that the A-1 Ops Club membership is based upon ON-AIR operating proficiency.

There is no category for on-line behavior, just on the air.

1 Like

True.
But what he has written shows he has zero understanding of the licence conditions in the US or the rest of the world. For someone who has only just passed the exams then youā€™d expect them to know the licence conditions. Maybe when the ink dries on his licence heā€™ll improve. If heā€™s this mistaken about the licence conditions and acts like this when what he has written is (for all intents and purposes) preserved forever for anyone to see then you have to ask what else does he get wrong on air? Iā€™m sure the ARRL A-1 committee must be delighted with the posts that got released on here showing what a class act he is. We should have released the other 4 or so posts which were deleted so that scale of his A-1 proficiency could be seen. :wink:

3 Likes

Hello George, I too have never heard of you and or heard you on air. The FCC you talk about has no jurisdiction outside of USA. My qth is in region 3 - vk3. To quote Brian -G8ADD- ā€œIts a big world, we donā€™t all march to the same drumā€.

73 Geoff vk3sq

2 Likes

Actually I found this quite informative. After nearly 40 years working at sea I had never heard of the MMSN and the valuable service they provide. Nor (despite working in maritime SAR for nearly 30 years) did I realise that 14.300 was an internationally recognised maritime distress frequency.

Every day is a school day as they say.

7 Likes

Hi Brian,
The FCC thinks it too is heard 5x9 across the world. They approved Muskā€™s plabs to launch more than 20,000 LEO satellites. Ask any EU optical astronomer what they they think about this. How good is the safe deorbiting system?

We have to live with our cousins and neighbours and mostly they are great to know. But sometimes,ā€¦

If what happens in America stayed in America no one would care. But when a flock of Bald Eagles land on your roof you hope they have already been to the toilet.

Support the IARU.

Ron
VK3AFW

6 Likes

I think its up to eight now, but Iā€™m losing count.

Kirk,
Itā€™s the IARU of which the ARRL is a member. Google.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hereā€™s a correction to my earlier deleted post. The ARRL did publish an announcement when the IARU Region 2 band plan was released in 2020:

But the ARRL represents the US in IARU and didnā€™t update its own band plan to match. I donā€™t know if they intend to.

Mildly ironic. Generally before joining a new group and posting a diatribe, it certainly helps to listen and therefore read the room.

I did a bit of analysis on SOTAWatch data, which is a fairly accurate reflection of actual band activity down to QRG and since 2021, weā€™ve had 372,686 spots of activity, of which 929 were for activity on 14.300 MHz. Only 89 of those spots were during the hours listed on your website. Thatā€™s unbelievably low and less than the magnitude of people using AM as a mode. Ergo, this isnā€™t really a problem.

Ironically, again, this happens all the time. We simply find a clear frequency and move on. We donā€™t post to random forums complaining about the fact someone jumped on our frequency.

Wow, can this get any more ironic? As highlighted above, this is an abysmally small problem to take the attitude you have done here. Then to complain that no one is showing you respect?

• Youā€™ve joined a community to cross post something that clearly is aimed at POTA activators.
  • Youā€™ve clearly done little to adjust half the post from referring to POTA
  • Youā€™ve clearly done nothing to ascertain the scale of the problem to which you are complaining about
  • Youā€™ve assumed the entire community is in Region 2, which itā€™s not.
  • Youā€™ve assumed that the Region 2 bandplan is law, and that American law is applicable globally, which both are not.
  • Youā€™ve taken a threatening tone by talking about FCC fines for non-compliance.
  • Youā€™ve then assumed despite taking no effort to work out what is actually going on on the ground, that weā€™re the ones not showing respect here.

Iā€™m curious, just how did you expect this was going to go?

7 Likes

This was fun to read! BYE FELICIA and 73 hihi

1 Like

Off the topic, but earlier this year, I was in a tutorial at the Open University, where my tutor on finding out I was a radio amateur interested in satellites, told me that one of his current project was the decluttering of the area of LEO. I think the basic plan was to send something up there to nudge (method unknown) unwanted junk into a safe descent path. His part was to work on the algorithms to make this happen.
Personally, I would have preferred something more like a garbage collector like the spaceship from James Bond Moonraker :slight_smile:

Ian

3 Likes

Youā€™ll have probably seen this about how Iridium cleaned up a lot of the early satellites they launched.

2 Likes

I hadnā€™t seen that particular document, but interesting reading. A shame that recently less thought has been given to what happens at end of life of satellites.

This will probably continue until there is a serious incident.

3 Likes