14285, a frequency to forget

For activators:
Almost all day this frequency is occupied by Greek stations, some of which with borrow calls sign. In the morning towards the pacific, in the evening towards the USA.
These are contacts in Greek that are long and noisy.
Forget this frequency in your activities, thank you !
Chris F4WBN

7 Likes

Hi Chris,
tnx for your hint and by the way congratulations!

The14.285 is known as a qrp frequency. For a while, an Italian om called on this frequency with his qrp station and complained in qso that sota pileups could be heard very often there.

Perhaps it generally makes sense for us activators not to work on designated frequencies. The 14.300+/- for SSTV comes to mind in particular.
73 Chris

3 Likes

Is the global emergency QRG. Expect big fuzz if you operate there.

4 Likes

I tend to move to 14320 or thereabouts.

4 Likes

Hi Chris,
to my mind SSTV is 14.230 MHz - which is indeed frequently in use for SSTV. So definitely a QRG to avoid.

@ all
With the advantage of SOTAWatch I also do not see the requirement to use the busy 14.285 MHz. We can spot on any QRG avoiding conflicts with other stations. Personally I tend to use 14.310 MHz ±QRM if suitable - or even something completely different.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

5 Likes

If I intend operating on 20m SSB I always have a listen on 14.285 in case something SOTA is happening. But like you Michael, I tune for a clearish frequency towards the top of the band. I cannot recall when I could not get a mobile data connection to spot from a summit in UK/Germany/Switzerland/France in recent years.

2 Likes

According to the IARU region 1 bandplan, 14285 is the QRP SSB Centre of Activity but I gave up on that long ago as it seems to be a favourite net frequency of Italain and Greek stations as has been said.

Over 14310 seems to be the area where we might find a clear frequency to call CQ on.

Contest operation is also not supposed to take place above 14300 either. Note the “supposed not to …”

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Surely, mistyped! I had a S2S today on 14.235? with SSTV qrm.
73 Chris

1 Like